rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
New arrivals
Platwell House (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 08:07
The BP has mentioned it and it has been mentioned on other posts here but does anyone know who the new arrivals are? They supposedly will be announced this week.

Re: New arrivals
JamboBris (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 08:21
Thiede, Daniels, O'connor from Ealing.
2 Jersey props
Bedford hooker.
All had relatively strong rumours.

Given that TRP said there would be up to 7 announced there is 1 other that there have been less rumours about. Maybe Macken or Matu'u?

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 08:27
There seems to be a decent number of Championship players earning moves to Premiership clubs for next year.

John Denver (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 08:53
Thiede - Tight head
Daniels - Full back
O'Connor - Fullback/wing/centre

T J (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 08:57
Call me negative, but canít see the above adding what is needed to our squad to keep us up next year.

Squad is currently a long way short of Prem quality, and I donít see these rumoured signings changing that.

robtheh (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 09:06
Quote:
AlexInSouthville
There seems to be a decent number of Championship players earning moves to Premiership clubs for next year.

Without detracting from the players who are going to make the step up, this will no doubt lead to the RFU slapping themselves heartily on the backs at overseeing such a well-run competition...

Rich. (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 09:27
Quote:
T J
Call me negative, but canít see the above adding what is needed to our squad to keep us up next year.
Squad is currently a long way short of Prem quality, and I donít see these rumoured signings changing that.

I've not seen them enough to comment but there are many players who have been plucked from the championship and have gone on to quickly be regular Premiership first teamers and even England players. Shaun Perry of this parish for one. Here's hoping there's a few diamonds among that lot.

expectingrain (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 10:45
Any news on when we will hear about the promised "Head Turning" signings?

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 10:51
I'm not sure they were 'promised' more like 'rumoured'.

JamboBris (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 11:37
Would expect bigger signings to be held back until we are promoted and season tickets go on sale. It's what I would do in any case.

expectingrain (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 11:38
Our current Front Five will not be good enough to survive in the Prem end of. I'm sure 3 or 4 major signings (not Championship players) we promised around now. Or maybe I dreamt it.

Prop Joe (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 12:32
Quote:
expectingrain
Our current Front Five will not be good enough to survive in the Prem end of.

But our front five for next season would probably be Thomas Thacker Afoa Muldowney and Vui. Afoa proven international class, Thomas known as a strong scrummager and Muldowney seems to be an experienced campaigner with a 'bit of dog' hopefully. These championship props could be third/fourth choices, not sure most premier sides have top quality third/fourth choices.

youngone (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 12:40
These signings are surely cover for the other competitions and/or to quietly improve their game alongside the matchday squad as they have shown promise this season to see if we uncover a diamond or two in the rough?

I cant see PL just assuming the champ players hes never coached would be apart of his 1st choice match day squad for next season.

I think any promoted champ team would be foolish not to hand pick what they consider the best talent in the champ to take up with them. Out of our current squad NFW and Hurrell strike me as two we signed in such circumstances who have gone on to be very useful players (as well as Hurrell currently starting for the team 5th in the prem)

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 15:30
There seems to be an obsession by some on this board with signing current internationals.

As I posted on a previous thread, that's the last thing we want. We need guys who are likely to be available to us all season. There is also a question of affordability within the salary cap to be considered.

PL has had a good opportunity this season to see what is available in the Championship and whilst I don't wish to do a 'Hilly knows best', I do, currently, have confidence in him and the other coaches to see potential in abilities and character of some of the opposition this season.

As youngone says above, these guys will carry on alongside the first choice players be coached and allowed to develop and subsequently make their mark.

thorpebayexile (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 16:08
If you look at the, very useful, other thread you can see how the squad with confirmed signings is shaping up. Clearly, it's not the same as the current team.

PL will be looking at the effectiveness of the units he is creating.

His new front row of afoa/thacker/Thomas have performed at mid upper level premiership before.

Muldowney and vui/Joyce would also hold their own as a unit. As would the new flanker, Thomas and lautua in the back row.

With C Puitua and this year's backs I would think that we are just maybe a wing or a centre off being a very well balanced side.

If you look at the other thread and add in the rumoured signings from Ealing then compare the possible first team to the team we had in the summer of the last venture to the top table.

I remember at that time talking to ex Bristol player friends over a few beers and we couldn't work out whether AR was deluded and believed his team was good enough or whether he hadn't been given the funds to recruit.

If you compare the possible team already signed to that last team then we look stronger in pretty nearly every position.

28 February, 2018 16:11
Quote:
Hercules Spoons
There seems to be an obsession by some on this board with signing current internationals.
100% agreed, its how Exeter became a force, getting players under the radar who were not at 6 Nations / Autumn Internationals matches.

I am all for scooping top end championship players up.

28 February, 2018 16:15
Quote:
thorpebayexile
I remember at that time talking to ex Bristol player friends over a few beers and we couldn't work out whether AR was deluded and believed his team was good enough or whether he hadn't been given the funds to recruit.
I think it was neither, I think players simply didn't want to play for him.

thorpebayexile (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 16:15
I've seen the Ealing 15 play a few times and he looks like he could be a jewel. I don't know if he is the one we're rumoured to have signed but if we don't someone else will.

EverOptimistic (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 17:33
Another rumour from RIL

TRANSFER RUMOUR: Reportedly Australian winger Tom Pincus who currently plays for Jersey may well have signed with Bristol for next season.

CF_Doom (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 18:15
I think the way Newcastle have recruited over the last three or four years has been impressive. They really are pushing on and love getting the ball out wide

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net