Untitled Document

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Re: New arrivals
Big Dave (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 19:12
Quote:
CF_Doom
I think the way Newcastle have recruited over the last three or four years has been impressive. They really are pushing on and love getting the ball out wide

Yes, but I hope we progress faster once we are up.

I am with TJ. Whatever Exeter did was years ago (and with a healthy dose of myth making since), Bristol under Hill was also years ago but while others are right that DWS, Robinson and Perry came out of the champ they joined a shed load of international quality players like Llewellyn, Hilton and Regan.

Next year we will be in a tough league and we need to step up from where we are now.Loads to learn from last season.

Also, has anyone in the Bristol coaching set up coached in the prem at club other than Bristol. Has Reihana?

T J (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 20:26
Iím not obsessed with us signing internationals, what I am obsessed with is signing players who improve on what we already have. Iím also obsessed with us not making the same mess of life in the Prem that we did under AR, where arrogance and stupidity made certain parties think the squad that took us up could survive in the Prem, and when the chickens came home to roost we were stuck with@#$%&like the American centre whose name escapes me.

To survive in the Prem we need a number of seasoned dogs who know what it is needed to compete at that level, both in the coaching set up and the playing squad. Afoa falls into that category, but we have very few others at present who are.

Field marshall (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 21:13
Talent can come from unlikely places and the championship has long been a goldmine. We are in the lucky position to be more aware of the better players than the bigger boys. Look at Dan Thomas, barely warming the bench at Glaws. Protheroe similar. Hurrell from Doncaster. And look at the quality we as a champ side have provided the the prem and england; Genge, Mako, Atwood. Even the big boys can't sign a squad or even a XV of superstars due to the SC. You have to have a dig about sometimes.

inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 21:40
"Afoa falls into that category, but we have very few others at present who are."

I have no worries about:
Afoa
Thacker
Luatua
Thomas
Lam
Madigan
Piutau (x2)
Pisi (17/18 variety, not 16/17)
Leiua
Morahan
Jefferies (so long as he continues on current trajectory)

I'm sure others will arrive to complement the remainder, whether "superstars", "journeymen" or whatever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/02/2018 21:42 by inatthebreakdown.

Field marshall (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 21:54
I'd add Hurrell, Haining, Latta, Vui.

inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
28 February, 2018 21:58
Quote:
Field marshall
I'd add Hurrell, Haining, Latta, Vui.

True. Fair point.

Already looking OK for a starting XV but there will ne injuries and strength-in-depth required.

gran (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 06:36
Add Cortes

RJC (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 07:33
It's the lack of depth that worries me, and probably what undid us in many games last season.

However Madigan's article is extremely encouraging in his opinion if you join Bristol you become a better player and Lam and his coaching staff work on all the squad, all the players know their part, and the systems so that anytime there is a ready replacement for injury etc.

Something that I don't think we had under AR.

Some of these Championship players have shown that they are worth a punt in the Premiership, and some may surprise us as well.

Big Dave (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 07:53
True. But does Pat's own deaire to have depth of three qualiry players in each positon look like it is being fulfilled?

It's not 2018/19 yet and I am not panicking right now. Just saying there is clearly some work to do.

And remembering last year.

Platwell House (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 08:17
I have higher hopes going into next season than under AR. It will be a struggle however Bristol will survive. At the moment the squad is a few players short but this team is far better than the previous AP team

JRZ92 (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 08:38
what did Pat say early doors....?

Vision for each position is
1. Worldclass player (does that mean an international/current international?)
2. Prem class player
3. Academy/emerging talent

That's 45 players so sprinkle a few more on top to cover the high injury risk positions.

Some of these being filled already - but its not going to happen overnight. salary Cap restrictions and players weighing up if they want to risk a move in our first season back...

18/19 will be a tough season...but I remain optimistic we will survive and then thrive.

Rich. (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 09:17
Yes and it's also players being out of contract and available and, for those that are available, them considering and realising that at least for next season and probably at least one more afterwards we won't be playing in the European Champions Cup or having any chance of playoff action.

thorpebayexile (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 09:29
I may be being optimistic here but I would expect to more than survive looking at the starting xv. I imagine we will lose a few starters in the autumn internationals but should do well in the six nations period.

Rich. (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 10:23
Quote:
thorpebayexile
I may be being optimistic here but I would expect to more than survive looking at the starting xv. I imagine we will lose a few starters in the autumn internationals but should do well in the six nations period.

I'm optimistic that there are players yet to be announced who will make me feel we will be fine but, based on who we currently know we have (and based on the very limited knowledge I have about many of them), I think we will be relying on good luck with injuries. The standard of teams in the Prem is huge and they will all be more settled sides than us (with all the positives as well as negatives that brings). In the past we've suffered because our key big signings have not been available for big games/enough games

As far as international windows go, a lot will depend of course on who we play during them. The England squad is fairly well spread among Prem clubs and it is only really Sarries, Quins and Leicester who could be said to be badly affected. If you add in Welsh players you could add Bath to that this year, but probably not next - though by then Mercer should surely feature for England, so we could perhaps add them. Of those clubs then, Sarries and Bath in particular have very good replacements for those who will be out and those players will want to prove themselves, so I'm not sure how much easier it makes it.

But as said I'm optimistic that announcements over the next weeks will make me feel confident.

Big Dave (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 11:31
I think we could have stayed up in 2015/16

I think things done differently we had a good chance in 2017

Next year looks super competitive. No obvious weak side (assuming we strengthen further).

Olly (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 11:37
Itís only March. The last time we went up I canít remember us having done much recruiting at this stage.

Bristol, like the glass is Blue, Bristol Blue.

Rich. (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 11:55
Quote:
Olly
Itís only March. The last time we went up I canít remember us having done much recruiting at this stage.

Yep but who did we recruit later who made much difference?

As said though I do expect some good (enough) signings to come in to join ones already announced and the existing players

expectingrain (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 11:55
Quote:
T J
Iím not obsessed with us signing internationals, what I am obsessed with is signing players who improve on what we already have. Iím also obsessed with us not making the same mess of life in the Prem that we did under AR, where arrogance and stupidity made certain parties think the squad that took us up could survive in the Prem, and when the chickens came home to roost we were stuck with@#$%&like the American centre whose name escapes me.
To survive in the Prem we need a number of seasoned dogs who know what it is needed to compete at that level, both in the coaching set up and the playing squad. Afoa falls into that category, but we have very few others at present who are.

Couldn't agree more with this. I still feel the hurt from 2 years ago and I don't want to risk repeating it. I know Thomas, Protheroe, Jefferies etc and a host of overs stand a good chance of thriving in the Prem, but they are not proven. Same with player like Afoa, are they over the hill? Maybe Maybe not. The fact is we just don't know and are taking a risk. I'd rather have a bit more certainty that's all.

hooter (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 12:57
I think are situation this year is very different to the last time we were promoted, remember last time we were in a playoff final we didn't even win both legs to get promoted.

chuckynut (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 13:21
Think it's going to be a fascinating at the bottom next season and I think it's impossible to predict who is going to be in the relegation fight. It isn't unthinkable that pretty much any one of the big sides struggles early doors, picks up some injuries and then faces a depleted squad over the Autumn internationals that they might find themselves in trouble.

I think our recruitment to date compares well with others but I still think we look a bit light.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net