01 March, 2018 11:06

Re: What a shame ....
Jay Jay (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 11:23
Totally unacceptable, we don’t want this sort of behaviour in rugby

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 11:34
This stuff is inevitable, sadly, as rugby's profile has grown, and brings in fans from outside the traditional base.

As a Welshman who was in the Aviva on Saturday, was embarrassed by some moron of a woman shouting 'Come on Wales' during the early kicks at goal.

Jimeno (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 12:08
Appalling.

Platwell House (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 12:12
Those who did this should never walk in a rugby ground in this country ever again. The Rugby family will not tolerate this behaviour

gran (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 18:08
Unfortunately I met Gavin Hastings once and found him a n arrogant pompous young man, so no surprise with the language he used.
Let's face it , there are a lot of Celts with a problem with anything English, it's handed down from generation to generation.
But agreed it's totally unacceptable in rugby and these boorish types have no place in the game.
Finally , in a similar article in the Guardian, Eddie mentioned that he was also abused once in B**h. I assume someone hit him with a prawn canape.

Rich. (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 22:14
Well I can understand (and empathise) why Welsh, Scots and Irish might have an issue with England and/or in particular, it's rulers (especially in the past - but not that long ago past) BUT this bang out of order! A sad day but unfortunately some humans + lots of alcohol = trouble. I (& hopefully most of us) get silly, nicely loud and lose even more inabition, but others get lairy!

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 07:05
Quote:
Rich.
Well I can understand (and empathise) why Welsh, Scots and Irish might have an issue with England and/or in particular, it's rulers (especially in the past - but not that long ago past) BUT this bang out of order! A sad day but unfortunately some humans + lots of alcohol = trouble. I (& hopefully most of us) get silly, nicely loud and lose even more inabition, but others get lairy!

That’s a charitable viewpoint Rich, but as. Welshman, I can guarantee you that those with the strongest anti-English sentiment are those with the least grasp of history. The majority of anti-English bile is just a combo small-man syndrome and nationalism.

Rich. (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 07:29
From my significant experience (through blood, uni, friends and work colleagues), the Welshmen and women with the greatest knowledge of Welsh history often have, as I say, an issue (not in a nasty way) with England and/or in particular, it's rulers (& I empathise fully as said) - and they'd strongly disagree about it being linked to small-man syndrome. BUT it turning into anti-English bile is a different matter and it doesn't with the many I know. They will of course love seeing their country beat the much larger rival (whose leaders and rich elite over many years owned their land, treated them as little more than slaves, tried to destroy their culture and even language and took most of the profit from their natural resources etc etc) but it is never nasty or against individual English people they'd meet and they'd certainly never do what some did to Eddie Jones.

BS7 (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 09:32
We are assuming they are rugby supporters but I'm not convinced. Either way, they should be identified and warned at least but luckily, the majority of rugby supporters condemn their behaviour. Let's move on, slipping and sliding. (Sm133)

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 12:11
Sad to say but Little Jimmy Krankie's secret love child (aka Mrs Sturgeon) appears to be an Anglophobe and this has emboldened some of the small minded element to consider this sort of behaviour acceptable.

The English are not responsible for many of the things of which Mrs Sturgeon accuses them.

Try watching an England v Scotland rugby match in a Scottish pub and you'll learn a great deal about racism (but keep your mouth shut if you've got an English accent).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2018 12:33 by Hercules Spoons.

BS7 (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 12:21
Shame things have got so poor. Watched a Scotland v England game in an Edinburgh pub many years ago, kept my voice quiet but was proudly wearing my Bristol RFC tie. Swopped it for a Scotland Grand Slam tie & cufflinks with an ex Scotland international (forgotten his name now) but all was fine.
Watching Wales v England at the old Arm Park was different I'm afraid with the dreadful language (from older generation) during the National Anthem (not the Welsh) would have made my dear old father turn in his grave and he was Welsh. Hope things don't slip further as still think a rugby match is an 'occasion'.

Big Dave (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 16:05
Quote:
Rich.
From my significant experience (through blood, uni, friends and work colleagues), the Welshmen and women with the greatest knowledge of Welsh history often have, as I say, an issue (not in a nasty way) with England and/or in particular, it's rulers (& I empathise fully as said) - and they'd strongly disagree about it being linked to small-man syndrome. BUT it turning into anti-English bile is a different matter and it doesn't with the many I know. They will of course love seeing their country beat the much larger rival (whose leaders and rich elite over many years owned their land, treated them as little more than slaves, tried to destroy their culture and even language and took most of the profit from their natural resources etc etc) but it is never nasty or against individual English people they'd meet and they'd certainly never do what some did to Eddie Jones.

Tendentious views of the benefits accruing to Wales in the 19th century, the fact that Scotland was an active participant in union, and missing much of the revisionist views of Foster et al. on Ireland, there, Rich.

Jimeno (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 20:50
He'll get personal security from now on

Quote:
England head coach Eddie Jones will have personal security at his disposal following on from the abuse that he suffered on two train journeys after his side's Calcutta Cup defeat to Scotland last Saturday, according to the Evening Standard.

Rich. (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 09:18
Well in the particular post you quote there Big Dave I don't even mention Scotland or Wales. This isn't the place for a debate on the English/Normans/Anglo-Norman rulers and wealthy elite and the 'Celtic Nations' but as a history geek myself with a chief focus on those very subjects I'd be disagreeing with what you say and imply there. You can find a few historians with a different view on anything but the consensus view is certainly not one which is sympathetic to the majority of 'English' rulers and wealthy elite.

But we need care when we talk about what nations did and think etc because, for example, as you mention the union, it was only the Scottish elite who signed up for that (to a great extent due to debts and, it seems, the taking of bribes in many cases). The vast majority of people in Scotland (almost all - "for every Scot in favour there is 99 against" is the famous Daniel Defoe quote) were very much against it and it caused mass riots. Similarly the 'English people' can not be said to be responsible for the clearances, the plantation etc, it was the rulers and monied elite (mainly descending from those Normans that England, initially, was shared among) who were responsible.

Anyway, as said not the place for debate on this unfortunately as it is very interesting

SimonB (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 10:31
This is not the place to go into Scottish history - which it has in spades. The fact is these were drunken yobs who probably don't have very limited knowledge of their country's history. They didn't seem to be well informed about anything with Eddie being called an English *******. I trust the Police will use the ample footage available to find them and prosecute.
The title to this thread sums it up. I watched the game and there is no doubt Scotland won on merit, showing their usual dog which got the crowd really going. They deserved their win and to be able to celebrate as they did. I have watched this fixture at Murrayfield when we ground out a 15 9 win and had a great time with lots of Scots before and after. Likewise when they beat us in the grand slam decider and I was in a pub in Majorca with several Scots exiles. I even had a double whisky bought for me!
So lets try to hang on to the ethos of rugby, where winning is everything but after the final whistle not - just onto the next time. The huge attraction of the game is that we can mix with the opposition supporters and enjoy one another's company.

BS7 (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 13:12
Simon B wrote:-
So lets try to hang on to the ethos of rugby, where winning is everything but after the final whistle not - just onto the next time. The huge attraction of the game is that we can mix with the opposition supporters and enjoy one another's company.[/i]

Hear hear to that.

Big Dave (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 16:22
I didn't feel the need to deploy the tongue firnly in cheek smiley face thing but be assured that is exactly where it was.

Peter_B (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 17:09
[url=http://Eddie Jones: England boss confronted outside train station after defeat[www.bbc.co.uk]]If you Haven’t seen this already[/url]

Peter

C'mon you Bristol Boys!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2018 17:10 by Peter_B.

Rich. (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 17:56
Quote:
Big Dave
I didn't feel the need to deploy the tongue firnly in cheek smiley face thing but be assured that is exactly where it was.

Ah gotya! I must admit I was surprised you made such a post - but I don't know you well enough (at all) so that a tongue in cheek smiley is not required! Far too subtle for me!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net