rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

RFU Championship under review
Rinkadink (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 19:08
I wonder what the outcome of this may be...

Quote:
A consultancy firm has been brought in by the Rugby Football Union to conduct a wide-ranging review of the Championship – including examining the merits of promotion and relegation.
The review by EY, formerly Ernst & Young, will come under consideration by English authorities in the negotiations over the structure of the top of the domestic game for the new global season from 2019.

RFU council members have been told that EY will make recommendations after covering subjects “including wage; income ratios; the effectiveness of the Championship as a development tool; the increasing gap between the Premiership and Championship; ring fencing and promotion/relegation”.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Re: RFU Championship under review
inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 19:49
If my experience of EY and their ilk is anything to go by, they'll recommend making most of the RFU staff redundant, introduce cutbacks to anything that moves and then fill the place with their own consultants, all on whopping day rates.

Fantastic. Great idea.

SimonB (IP Logged)
01 March, 2018 20:36
They will certainly tell us that there is no money in the Championship and that it is in its present form unviable. But don't we know that anyway? Total waste of money which would have been better spent given to the clubs.
The RFU should be perfectly capable of seeing what is wrong, and a big part of that is getting the division properly funded out of all their riches. and/or making it attractive to sponsors.

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 07:11
It should be semi-pro only, and sit below a ring-fenced 13-team Prem (unless someone can convince Irish or Worcester to cash in their chips).

The only way a team outside of the top 13 teams is by huge benefactor investment alone (none of them hope of ever becoming self sustainable) , and that’s not a model that should be encouraged.

It’s harsh when judged on the traditional values, but like it or not, it’s a business nowadays.

Davesan (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 09:14
Rugby Paper on Sunday quoted Nigel Melville as "refusing to close the door on a moratorium on promotion/relegation for 2019 and... needing to set in stone by end of this season what is happening next season". Nice for him if EY were to come up with an "independent ??" recommendation for a moratorium. After all we know that any consultant these days will look at what his Client wants and find a way to recommend that..he who pays the piper calls the tune ... as the saying goes..

Dieselpup (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 10:28
I wonder if the "consultants" will "consult" with the fans of these great clubs ??

02 March, 2018 10:28
The main reason companies or organisations call in consultancies like this, is to de-risk decisions and communicate "bad/awkward news"

EY will recommend some form of ring-fencing. If it goes wrong, the RFU can then say "well, EY and their independent review said..."

It is, sadly, ALL about money.

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 11:56
Yes, that's the manner in which awkward or controversial decisions are dealt with these days, Brucie boy did that when he wanted to change things at Barff.

I expect EY will put it in the hands of a person whose never played a sport, is allergic to mud and rain and probably got a name something like Beeching.

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 12:02
Quote:
Dieselpup
I wonder if the "consultants" will "consult" with the fans of these great clubs ??

I doubt they would need to....the hard numbers around catchment areas, crowd sizes, revenue and wage bills will tell them all they want/need to know.

There is no doubt that those clubs have incredibly passionate and loyal fans, but unless they start paying triple for their tickets, the clubs they are following are simply not top-tier professional clubs.

Football went through a similar correction in the past 20 years.....i remember the days when the second tier had Port Vale, Tranmere, Stockport and Grimsby, whilst the fourth tier has Swansea, Cardiff, Hull and Fulham.

02 March, 2018 13:29
Quote:
Dieselpup

Don't be silly. Of course not! What would they know?!

Big Dave (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 16:07
Quote:
Hercules Spoons
I expect EY will put it in the hands of a person whose never played a sport, is allergic to mud and rain and probably got a name something like Beeching.

That might be no bad thing.

Big Dave (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 16:09
Quote:
Dieselpup

Well, it wouldn't take them long, would it? Hardly the world's best supported leave, the championship.

dudleywarrior88 (IP Logged)
02 March, 2018 22:59
Quote:
AlexInSouthville
It should be semi-pro only, and sit below a ring-fenced 13-team Prem (unless someone can convince Irish or Worcester to cash in their chips)

Or Bristol ! They seem to like th championship.

Platwell House (IP Logged)
03 March, 2018 08:23
Quote:
AlexInSouthville
It should be semi-pro only, and sit below a ring-fenced 13-team Prem (unless someone can convince Irish or Worcester to cash in their chips).
The only way a team outside of the top 13 teams is by huge benefactor investment alone (none of them hope of ever becoming self sustainable) , and that’s not a model that should be encouraged.

It’s harsh when judged on the traditional values, but like it or not, it’s a business nowadays.
13 teams seems to be the way it is going with a semi pro championship. As much as I like to see two fully professional leagues I don't think it is a possibility because of the business side of things.

PaulRossborough (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 08:09
But what does a 'semi pro' team/squad/club like like in comparison to pro? Wages, structure, hours, staff or other?

All views expressed in this post, are my own

Rich. (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 08:50
But all of the current Prem teams are only there because of 'huge benefactor investment' so the argument that 'The only way a team outside of the top 13 teams is by huge benefactor investment alone (none of them hope of ever becoming self sustainable)' doesn't make sense to me. Not that the status quo is ideal but that's not a reason to end it surely - just because Exeter, for example, got their 'huge benefactor investment' in before Ealing or Bedford might do should not mean that's that

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net