Current Page: 4 of 5

Re: Bad
Jimeno (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 10:00
That obviously didn't apply to Jersey.

youngone (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 10:15
just to buck a few trends here i thought Siale Piutau played really well for us in the centre and Dan Thomas reaffirmed all the positive feedback he gets on here by being our best forward by a mile even though he spent half the game on the bench.

That being said, it was a hugely disappointing game to watch but I cant help but feel we are in quite an odd position mentally right now what with promotion seeming like a foregone conclusion before yesterday, half of our team ready to depart at the end of the season, and us having all of our prep based on playing against teams and at a standard that we can't test ourselves against this year. The party motto is "taking it one game at a time" but mentally it seemed like we just thought the game was eventually going to fall into our laps - we didnt stand up to the pressure at all. No apparent leaders on the pitch, after Pisi threw that intercept try the team were wandering around looking totally lost with noone seeming to bring the group together.

I don't remember haining, latta, lam, harris wright or tongahuiha having much of an impact yesterday, nor did pisi, uren, madigan, morahan or j williams. Lots of players didn't attain their usual standards yesterday. Leiua did what was expected although Jersey did well to expose his weakest attributes especially with that low sun in the first half. Plenty of work to be done lets just hope that performance bought a lot of relevant personnel back to reality.

airdog (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 10:48
it seems pretty clear to me that the team have become complacent , promotion is almost certain and going 7 nil up within 3 minutes and even when the reds scored they seemed to think well its only Jersey we will win in the end .
Well clearly we didnt and lets hope Pat gets it through to them that such an attitude is not acceptable , well played Jersey , your supporters that made the trip must be feeling pretty chuffed today , and why not .

John Denver (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 10:59
I 've calmed down a bit now and have a read all the posts on various threads regarding the game from a passionate group of Bristol supporters. The answer is in there somewhere!

Another low point for me was after the heartbreak of the second leg play-off final at Sixways in 2015. That was 'final' - there was no way back.

Today we have the opportunity to begin to rectify the situation - it is all in our own hands. We have two weeks to prepare for Rotherham. It is how we respond that matters now.

Earlsbris (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 10:59
Didnít see the game but having read the comments it sounds like a shocker. Provided that this isnít the start of a slump it could be a useful kick to get rid of the complacency and keep them working to the end of the season. Whilst we are at least 10 clear there is time for Ealing to catch if we donít perform

corporalcarrot (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 11:27
Quote:
airdog
it seems pretty clear to me that the team have become complacent , promotion is almost certain and going 7 nil up within 3 minutes and even when the reds scored they seemed to think well its only Jersey we will win in the end .
Well clearly we didnt and lets hope Pat gets it through to them that such an attitude is not acceptable , well played Jersey , your supporters that made the trip must be feeling pretty chuffed today , and why not .
Cheers airdog I certainly enjoyed a cracking day and although Jersey did what they usually do - build a decent lead and then put pressure on themselves in the last quarter by going into their shell it would be difficult to argue that they didn't want the win a lot more than Brizzle. Credit to Brizzle players who walked around to thank their supporters at the end - I got a bear hug from Nick Haining who I know well and he was big enough to say Jersey were all over them the whole day and deserved the result for their efforts. Its interesting to look at the 22 players each team had in their squads and in all honesty on paper if you were picking from them collectively you would want all the Brizzle lads who are exceptionally talented and probably take none from Jersey. It cant have been a surprise the way Jersey played - they have a heavy pack and the meanest defence in the league - they could only get a result by slowing the pace of the game down and being all over your lads like a rash. No pretty but did your coaches really think they would aimlessly kick to Brizzle's superstar backs and let you run at us in broken field? The brilliant fans at Brizzle will get the promotion their team deserves anyway and although I was a very rare Jersey fan in the stand I was in no one begrudged me the win at the end and when Jersey had a penalty around half way in the first half and I shouted "take a scrum and go for a push over" the quality banter in reply was everything you should hear at a rugby game. I hope Brizzle think of Jersey as a decent pre-season match when they do go up. All the best cc

Don't kick it pick it up and GO FORWARD

Beer1234 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 11:31
Quote:
Pathfinder
We need 16 points from 5 games to ensure promotion.

16 points definitely but checking my noddy spreadsheet and assuming I understand the championship rules we could get away with 15 points as long as we have 3 wins and don't get hugely thumped in the 2 we lost.

Of course I'd much rather we won all 5 remaining matches smiling smiley

Cidered Abroad (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 12:27
I don't believe that we will not go up as champions at the end of this season. However far too many of yesterday's squad seemed to be already on the beach and Pat Lam and his coaches need to eradicate this attitude now, otherwise we will have a nail biting finish to this season.

The silly mistakes that were made yesterday, not once but several times by too many, show that we have a lot of recruitment and work to do, in order to give ourselves a realistic chance of staying in the Premiership in April 2019.

We have shown too much inconsistency against sides that are willing to work extra hard and found it difficult at times to raise our game. There will be no easy matches next season so those who will still be here must perform every time they pull the shirt on.

I can accept it when we are beaten by a better side on the day. As a lifelong Bris and City fan, I've had plenty of those experiences. But I do not ever want to see us lose when it is our own fault.

Hey ho on to Rotherham in two weeks. Five points guaranteed? Only if we get off the coach and leave the beach loungers at home!

bris_rob (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 13:31
Quote:
thorpebayexile
I think there were three problems

I think there were initially 2 problems Ė both Rhodri Williams and Dan Thomas should have started. Things went rapidly down hill after that

hooter (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 14:46
Think spending the next week doing nothing but tackle practice might be a good idea. Surely if our game plan of constant offloading isnít working and we keep going backwards a few chips over the defensive line would at least make them stay back and give are attack more room.

Pathfinder (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 14:59
Pat on the back to Tom Tainton who, on the mercifully short video "highlights" of yesterday describes our first scrum half's major contribution as "a mix-up at the breakdown"........

Furnessman (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 15:43
I actually agree with the very first statement in this thread, I watch as much prem rugby as I can and this Bristol team is not prem class we will come straight back down and it will be another embarrassing season. We need class players we haven't got them, I compare Bristol to possibly the worse 2 sides London Irish and Worcester and both of these would spank us(Sm77)

Rich. (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 15:59
Quote:
Furnessman
I actually agree with the very first statement in this thread, I watch as much prem rugby as I can and this Bristol team is not prem class we will come straight back down and it will be another embarrassing season. We need class players we haven't got them, I compare Bristol to possibly the worse 2 sides London Irish and Worcester and both of these would spank us(Sm77)

Well we would raise our game in the way all the Champ sides raise theirs against us but I do think we would come down if we went up with our present squad. The thing is we won't be going up with our present squad. I'm not totally convinced that the additions we have coming will be enough but: (a) OI don't know many of them well (and they may be better than I am assuming) and (b) I am sure we have some some significant signings still to announce.

Olly (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 16:30
Ok yes a team crammed with internationals at the top of their game should never loose to a team not so well equipped. Those players at the top of the game should always have the fitness,skill and mindset to over come these teams less fortunate. But thatís on paper and this is sport. It happens. it is what puts the romance into all sport. Be it Bristol city beating Man U or similar in Cricket, tennis athletics or whatever the underdog always has the ability and desire to put in that one big performance that shocks the sport. Without it there wouldnít be any point in taking part in the first place.
But then When your entire team looks like it has just turned up for the beer Money yes it rankles fans including me. I was to say the least annoyed and embarrassed. That was yesterday time to move on learn from the mistakes and play as we should be.
That said
Well played Jersey you blooded the noses of the mighty and well deserved your victory. Bristol you suddenly look ordinary and beatable. You need a huge improvement now to convince me that your Premiership ready. Thatís not a negative itís reality itís a target you must not fail to hit because failure is not an option this time round with our resources and players.

Bristol, like the glass is Blue, Bristol Blue.

Rich. (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 17:06
I think we've looked beatable all season and have nearly been beaten a few times before in the league (esp by Ealing twice, Bedford and Pirates). It is to the players credit that they have been able to get themselves out of so many holes up till this weekend.

Furnessman (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 12:12
I look at what we had 15 years ago when the likes of Comtepomi, Pichot, Ronnie , Llewellyn etc etc that team would have walloped what we have now, that was a team you felt had a chance in every game, next season will be..... just get a losing bonus point, I need to see commitment by the powers that will change my mind, ie: Big Signing or Signings, not old has beens, or asking Richie McCaw into coaching set up lol

thorpebayexile (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 12:22
I think you are mixing eras slightly Furnessman. The strength of our first two years back in the prem under Hill was that we had an old slow pack made of rock and passion from salter. Journeymen if you like.

But.... It made us incredibly difficult to beat. We may have had little attacking threat other than route 1 from the lineout but we had higgit and Cox in defence and strange keeping the score board ticking.

That team would get slaughtered probably by a championship team today given the increase in fitness and pace. But the lesson is. Get a rock solid front five that wins all you own set piece and the odd turnover and you are hard to beat.

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 12:35
Quote:
Furnessman
I look at what we had 15 years ago when the likes of Comtepomi, Pichot, Ronnie , Llewellyn etc etc that team would have walloped what we have now, that was a team you felt had a chance in every game, next season will be..... just get a losing bonus point, I need to see commitment by the powers that will change my mind, ie: Big Signing or Signings, not old has beens, or asking Richie McCaw into coaching set up lol

Of those you mentioned, only Pichot was a big signing...Contepomi was a kid from amateur club rugby, Llewellyn was in his mid to late 30's by the time he arrived at Bristol.

And then others of note - Dan Ward-Smith, Shaun Perry, David Lemi, Lee Robinson - all came from lower leagues.

In short, the team you mentioned are actually the best evidence in support of the type of signings we have made so far....

Prop Joe (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 12:56
[quote Furnessman]I look at what we had 15 years ago when the likes of Comtepomi, Pichot, Ronnie , Llewellyn etc etc that team would have walloped what we have now, that was a team you felt had a chance in every game,/quote]

Hang on that's two teams in one. Pichot and Contepomi left the club in 2003 and Ronnie and Llewellyn joined in 2005. You could get some bloody good teams by mixing eras. Maybe today's team with Genge,Eadie, Ryan Jones,Gav and a younger David Lemi thrown in!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2018 12:59 by Prop Joe.

Purpendicular (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 13:23
Quote:
thorpebayexile
But.... It made us incredibly difficult to beat. We may have had little attacking threat other than route 1 from the lineout but we had higgit and Cox in defence and strange keeping the score board ticking.

Slightly disagree with this statement. When we had Perry sniping, Dan W-S and Dave Hill at their best we had plenty of threat close in and that opened up space out wide for Lemi & Horse.

Where it started to go wrong was Dan W-S getting injured, Perry getting close to England but then losing form and, IMO, the crowd getting onto Dave Hill if he missed a kick which ultimately affected his general play. Once we'd lost the threat close in we were too easy to defend against.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net