rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Slowing the game down
grasmith (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 13:18
One of the key elements of Pats game plan as I understand it, is a high tempo element, which combined with supertor fitness, gives our players the edge in the last quarter. If the referee then allows the opposition to play offside and then slow the game down to a snails pace, even in the first half, any advantage is nullified. Constant stoppages for injury or perhaps a breather, breaks up any momentum, but the pause for a chat and the slow 20 metre walk to every lineout was rubbing it in. I cannot blame Jersey for trying it on, but surely the referee has a responsibility to keep the game flowing, for the benefit of both teams and the spectators, or is this not part of their agenda

Re: Slowing the game down
AGS (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 13:22
Lets not forget that some of the officials sometimes want or need a breather too, so who's side are they going to be on?

bris_rob (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 13:24
'Sir' should have awarded a free-kick against Jersey the second or third time they strolled to the line-out. It wouldn't have happened again.

expectingrain (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 13:45
Spot on. Constant and blatant slowing down of everything at almost every opportunity was one of the numerous frustrating things about yesterday. Why the officials allowed it to continue with impunity is mystifying. Pisi should have been in the Refs ear every time if happened. The crowd certainly were.

thorpebayexile (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 13:49
It worked for us in the past with Crompton and Regan being masters of the art

expectingrain (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 13:53
I'm not blaming Jersey I'm blaming the officials

Jimeno (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 14:12
Some wag on the supporters' Facebook group reckoned that the blonde medic on the Dolman touchline made so many yards that she should get Man of the Match.

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 16:05
Quote:
Jimeno
Some wag on the supporters' Facebook group reckoned that the blonde medic on the Dolman touchline made so many yards that she should get Man of the Match.

I don't begrudge an injured player needing treatment, but she was running on to enquire about the health of players who were standing, looking the other way, and chatting to team mates.

Maybe something like in football (which triggered Jose's ire a few years back), whereby a player being treated need to go to the sideline for the next phase of play...(with obvious exceptions for neck injuries, etc)

Olly (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 16:35
Quote:
Jimeno

Saw that and laughed it wasnít too far from my thoughts on Sunday ha ha
Mind you she is rather attractive.

Bristol, like the glass is Blue, Bristol Blue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2018 16:51 by Olly.

Ernie Ball (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 16:39
For those of us that made the trip to Jersey, we witnessed the same slowing down tactic then. Perhaps we should have been ready for it.

cuddles (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 18:42
I donít know why we are surprised at these tactics it happens at every level when the leading side is defending Itís an opportunity to regroup and confirm defensive structures/ turnover options

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 20:08
I've seen free kicks given by refs for this, I'm not sure why this isn't clamped down on also rugby league style time off whilst scrum is set then waving time back on when the ball is put in.

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 20:47
Another way in which Jersey weíre smarter than us

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 21:21
All this whingingabkut slowing the game down really does sound like sour grapes. If shoe was on the other foot, we'd be calling it clever game management. Ryan jones was effectively given man of the match in our semi against Rotherham a few years ago for doing just that.

rambling sid (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 15:40
All sides take their time getting to lineouts when it suits them. Just reverse the throw in.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net