rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: Dare I say - Perspective?
Big Dave (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 18:32
I want to know that the forwards already recruited and those that we are still to announce will lead to a step up that allows us to compete in the premiership. At the moment we are well off, but I am sure that the coaches know that. The question is not so much what we do now as what do we do next.

I also wonder whether quite a few players have a problem with motivation. That is not a criticism. Basically, we're up. There are players there who have played in S15 finals, RWCs, etc. The job is basically done for this season. I can understand if getting yourself ready for the challenge is a struggle, if the challenge realistically is now 2018/19?

bris_rob (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 18:38
Why so many pessimists on this thread? Admittedly we played appallingly on Sunday and Jersey played well and did a number on us - but we did gift-wrap it for them.
Until this match I for one have seen a marked improvement in our performances recently, especially in defence and we have score many exceptional tries - involving both backs and forwards. The scrum is still a worry but it looked a lot better with the starting front row on Sunday. Gaston has been a big miss this season and we know he can more than hold his own in the prem. The tight five will look a lot different next season.

For now Iím willing to give the coaches and squad the benefit that it was a one-off. The next few matches will gives us further indication that systems are working or not.

Címon Bris

Motherrucker1982 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 19:03
As I've said - much to improve on but next year is next year. We need to finish this one first. And for those who haven't heard of any of our new signings some of them have decent credentials. I know I've mentioned it a few times but Malton played regularly at Exeter as they won the league (and are very forward dominated) and Muldowney is an abrasive lock with experience a la Llewelyn et al. Yann Thomas is a solid scrummager who was good for Glos and Afoa is still highly rated in rugby circles. These 4 alone will add to one of our weakest perceived areas so yes, I'm trying to remain optimistic and don't really get where the hostility comes from - we can't undo 20 years of moronic mismanagement and poor decisions in a season. It will take time. And I think the balance for next year is looking more solid than people are giving credit for.
Let's judge next year, next year - if we're 20 points behind and down by Feb, I'll admit we got it wrong (again!) but think we should just hold on and judge it then.
We lost to Jersey because we were @#$%& and they wanted it more. The other ropey performances are not just about us either - every team in this league wants to beat us and I'd wager that, on any given day the top sides would trouble a good number of Prem teams.
I get that we all want Bristol to succeed and I've had a rant at times in years gone by but I geneuinely feel different and, despite being peeved at Sunday's shambles - I wasn't as worried as when we lost to Donny 2 years back at ours.
Like I said - perspective?
C'mon Bris!!!!!

LA Angel (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 20:18
Motherrucker, I think you're spot on, with both your opening a latest post.

In life nothing ever goes completely to plan, and I'm sure PL did not want to lose Rhodri and Billy! However I believe he has made some astute additions that will bring balance not just from a forward and backs perspective but also experience, leadership and age profile.

expectingrain (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 08:28
People are talking as if we're up already, we're not. Pretty sure Ealing will take 5 points from Rotherham so that puts us 10 points up. One more loss to say Leeds or Donny and its squeaky bum time and the pressure will be really on. Ealing have been on our tail all season and I can't see that changing and them falling off.

thorpebayexile (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 08:39
We would only have ourselves to blame if we don't win every remaining match and seal promotion. Bluntly, if we don't finish too then we don't deserve promotion anyway.

However, I would put a large amount of money on us doing it.

For me the signings we've made are a good start but only a good start. I'm expecting a similar number to be announced before the end of the season.

When Pat Lam coached me he was very forwards focussed. I'm sure that hasn't changed.

expectingrain (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 08:49
The BP are reporting that BRFC will be announcing a number of signings imminently.

Ernie Ball (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 09:09
Quote:
The BP are reporting that BRFC will be announcing a number of signings imminently.

The BP have been saying that for a few weeks now. My guess is we'll hear about further signings after the Donny game, that is provided we win the next four games. Lose another and it will be after Hartpury.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 13:27
Don't get me wrong I hope with all my being that PL is going to get it right next year! But I expect the club to be asking the hard questions of him and his lack of performance this year. Just being a great bloke is not what I want from one of the highest paid coaches on the planet. I want him to make our players better (which with the exception of Joyce and Thomas he has not done in the forwards). I also expect his to produce a team to be better as a unit than as combo of its individual players which again he definitely has not done.

The amount of signing we have made is a measure of failure to coach our players. So a serious question is why could Pat not work with the likes of Dan Tuohy(who impressed in the prem at the Cheaters) or our current props who have mostly done it else where, which would give him a year of progress rather than needing to bring in so many new players that will need to go through the same long term learning curve in a much tougher environment. C.Piatua and possibly Afoa as a short term fix, excepted they are not overly impressive signings. Mostly squad rather than w regular prem starters? Muldowny and Thomas from lower leagues in France hardly showing the current track record. Those from the Champ look promising but without the experience, I'm sure some of these will turn out well but it does seem in the forwards this year has been a waste.

One other question that needs to be asked, why with all our resources have we had so many injuries? Is it bad luck, is it a problem with out training/game plan, or is it a problem with our fitness/S&C?

There may be perfectly good answers to all these questions, but unlike last year Pat must be held to account by Taints and the board, and the answers fully scrutinised. Others may think this season is a success if we win the league comfortably, I (and I hope the board) have set the standards much higher and focused on the need to be successful next season. That is why Pat was signed.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Olly (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 13:36
Ref the amount of injuries. I do wonder if itís an issue with these artificial pitches maybe even Ashton Gate?

Bristol, like the glass is Blue, Bristol Blue.

Motherrucker1982 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 14:04
I also see the concerns and have been equally frustrated by our lack of grunt at times this year. However, as others (and I have said), the likes of Faletau, Gilthrow, Gompels etc just weren't ready to cut the mustard at this level and needed time to learn their trade but, as you rightly say, injuries forced our hand at times and we had what we had (here's hoping the experience will help).
Also, some players just aren't the right fit for the way coaches want to play. From being in and around professional environments, sometimes even world class players just don't seem to click - whilst I rated Tuohy especially, he clearly isn't what Lam wanted and has a chequered injury history which, with his age, probably didn't help. I'm sure you'd agree that, regardless how good a player is, if he only plays 3/4 games a year due to injury, is he really worth it?
I agree that we still need a bit more depth and a sprinkling of stardust but also that some of these relative 'unknowns' will be more than just fine (think Will Hurrell as oppose to Palamo). It ain't going to be easy but did you really think we'd go from how poor we were last year to superstars in a matter of months? This is definitely a work in progress but we are finally laying foundations - a culture and a style of playing (that may or may not work) but lets see how it goes until we hold Pat to account?
We all want this to be a success!!
C'mon Bris!!!

delthedoor (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 14:48
Umm- how many points have we dropped this season, never mind lack of performance some people do indeed suffer from a lack of perspective.

JamboBris (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 15:28
Biggest issue for Faletau for me is he was 28 when we signed him yet hasn't looked to add much. Can see him being shipped out in the close season.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 16:49
Quote:
Olly
Ref the amount of injuries. I do wonder if itís an issue with these artificial pitches maybe even Ashton Gate?

I don't think it's our pitch at all as it's all real grass with plastic weaving underneath to help, maybe the 3G for some (see Sarries recent game from a player falling on it) but they can happen anywhere, even on mud, and unfortunately seems a part of modern rugby. Strength and conditioning is really important to help with that.

I think Pat has brought a decent culture back to the club after it went missing during our downturn, he should be applauded for that. Coaching and everything around him is going to take time and I don't think some of us should be too hasty in sharpening the knives just yet. Newcastle have taken how many years to get to where they are?

Olly (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 22:14
Totally agree about Pat really like what he is doing and the culture he is trying to build within the club. I really hope it works for him. Even in the unlikely it doesnít I honestly believe the club will benefit from his work for years to come.
As for the artificial pitches I know there has been a lot of research into the issues related to them but the type of injuries we are getting especially the long term ones has to be of concern.

Bristol, like the glass is Blue, Bristol Blue.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net