rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Tom Varndell
Portisteve (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 18:35
Looks like he is off to one of the welsh clubs, judging by his twitter feed of posting the Severn bridge. Shame to see him go, he hasnít been at the races this season (not helped by injuries), but I donít think he has been getting the quick ball he needs - you could see his frustration so many times this season asking for the quick ball that never came.
Hope he shows Pat what he can do if its a loan and gets a new contract for next season
Edited as had mind blank - he did break the record by himself

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2018 19:19 by Portisteve.

Re: Tom Varndell
memnoch (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 19:12
Are you sure it wasnít just a nice picture of the sunrise over the Severn bridge?

In other news he has already got the Prem try scoring record. He got it against Harleqins at Ashton Gate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2018 19:16 by memnoch.

Portisteve (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 19:18
My bad, forgot about that one.

There is a lot of talk on Scarlets forum that he has joined with them

inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 19:24
Tom has always put in a shift as far as I'm concerned, particularly the purple patch last autumn and winter where he really was on fire leading up to the Worcester win.

However, he doesn't seem to ever have recovered his usual pace from that ankle injury last January.

Not sure I can see him displacing any of our current options, plus of course whoever else might be on their way in?

memnoch (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 19:28
He could well be off, would be a shame as I think he could still do a job for us.

inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 19:39
Quote:
memnoch
He could well be off, would be a shame as I think he could still do a job for us.

I'm not so sure. He was exposed a few times in defence in the Prem season, and not sure I've seen him ever catch a high ball cleanly! Compare that with the reliability security offered by Leiua/Morahan.

Wing is interesting next season though. In addition to Leiua and Morahan, we have Ryan Edwards, possibly still Lemi, rumoured Tom Pincus, and Aaron Chapman in the academy is strongly tipped. Charles Piutau can of course play out wide also.

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 20:55
Donít forget M Protheroe either iatb
Tom Pincus is pretty good at taking a high ball - did you see him practicing it before the game and then take a beaut in the first half? I hope he does join us.

Don Rooke (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 22:53
Tom Varndell has been and still is a fantastic player.Iím sure he would still score plenty of tries in the Premiership,whether with us or another team.Several clubs would be interested in signing him for sure....

JamboBris (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 11:51
I know there are only 5 games left and we're 10 clear... but I'd have kept him in case of injuries etc. Absolutely class finisher on his day.

memnoch (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 11:55
Well this just goes to show that I know nothing then.

Good luck Tom and thanks for everything.

hooter (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 12:00
Who are all these players going to play for, are they starting another region team.

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 12:00
The "give him an opportunity to showcase what he can do" bit makes it obvious that he's not been offered a new contract.

T J (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 12:30
Odd that heís deemed good enough for the top region in Wales at the moment, and the team who are playing the most exciting rugby in Europe at the moment, and who have demolished Bath and Toulon, but canít get a game for a team who lost to Jersey and struggled to beat Bedford.

lukesmith17 (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 12:49
He played against Bedford didnt he?

robtheh (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 13:09
Firstly, Very best of luck to him. To me, he seems to be one of those players who probably hates being in the Championship, but thrives at a higher level. Think we saw that in 2015/16 & last season.

But...I think one of our rumoured head-turning signings will be a winger. I think Morahan is nailed on as a starter when we go up, so I can only see us signing someone potent.

AGS (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 13:19
Quote:
T J
Odd that heís deemed good enough for the top region in Wales at the moment, and the team who are playing the most exciting rugby in Europe at the moment, and who have demolished Bath and Toulon, but canít get a game for a team who lost to Jersey and struggled to beat Bedford.

I'd argue that a club who have seem him play and train at close quarters for the past 3 seasons are a better judge. Whether it is rustiness, lack of games, or the march of time, it has been noticeable this season that while he is still incredibly fast up to speed, he doesn't seem to have the acceleration that he used to have. And then there's his defence...

Jimeno (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 13:22
Sorry to see him go.

So is my Mrs.

AGS (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 13:32
Fair point Jimeno. Not sure how to break the news to my Mrs either

Peter D (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 14:11
I'm disappointed to think that I shan't see Tom Varndell in Bristol's colours again. I wish him all the best.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net