Untitled Document

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: Tom Varndell
Rinkadink (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 15:00
Quote:
Peter D
I'm disappointed to think that I shan't see Tom Varndell in Bristol's colours again. I wish him all the best.

Indeed. He has qualities only Morahan has shown on the wing. Alapati is a different kind of winger and still think Tom has a role in our side.

Good luck though, we've been lucky to see him in a Bris shirt.

BigO (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 15:23
Quote:
inatthebreakdown
Wing is interesting next season though. In addition to Leiua and Morahan, we have Ryan Edwards, possibly still Lemi, rumoured Tom Pincus, and Aaron Chapman in the academy is strongly tipped. Charles Piutau can of course play out wide also.

I had high hopes for George Perkins, but what with injuries etc he's not had a look in. Maybe next season.

Best of luck to Tom for the future. Electric on his day, but I never got the feeling he was completely at home here, and seemed to cast a lonely figure at times. I have nothing to back this up, but I'm not sure PL saw eye-to-eye with him or his attitude at times. Just a gut feel.

Anyway, some good memories of him scoring some cracking tries, and at the end of the day he was in a Briz shirt when he beat the prem try scoring record.

APPLES (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 16:28
I wish tom the best of luck and success going forward

On his day he was a potent finisher and the partnership he formed with Jason Woodward was one of the few highlights of last season

The problem is/was he was rarely in this form during his time in a Bristol shirt

Let's be honest his defence was poor and he was never up for the high ball

He was also on one of the highest salaries at the club

But the performances did not justify that

No one can doubt his try scoring ability when on form, or his passion for Bristol

But I can completely see why he has gone:
Inconsistent, not a rounded player and on a large salary.

I'll have Charles piatau any day thanks

LA Angel (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 16:48
Quote:
BigO
I'm not sure PL saw eye-to-eye with him or his attitude at times. Just a gut feel.

The announcement on the Offy read as though PL had genuine respect and appreciation for what Tom has done, for the club - nothing like the curt announcement we had for Max Crumpton.

inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 17:07
Taking away the sentimentality, looking at this from a business perspective, it probably removes a fair chunk out of the current salary total?

BigO (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 17:14
Quote:
LA Angel
Quote:
BigO
I'm not sure PL saw eye-to-eye with him or his attitude at times. Just a gut feel.

The announcement on the Offy read as though PL had genuine respect and appreciation for what Tom has done, for the club - nothing like the curt announcement we had for Max Crumpton.

Not sure. It's hardly a glowing reference. Reads like a C- school report.

“Tom [Varndell] needs gametime, so it was the right decision for both parties. Tom has served the club well over the past three seasons, but he wants to play regularly and he has that opportunity in the PRO14 with Scarlets.

“Tom is out of contract at Bristol at the end of this season, so this is a good opportunity for him to showcase what he can do at another club. We wish him all the best and thank him for his efforts in the Bristol shirt."

Platwell House (IP Logged)
06 March, 2018 17:42
When Varndell arrived I generally was excited for the quality of player Bristol had signed. In pre season he said and I quote 'If you don't do your job in the system Pat will find someone that can'. I guess Tom never adapted well to the new way of doing things however all the best to him and I hope he does enough to earn a contract at Scarlets.

elegia (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 08:49
who are people going to pick on now TV has gone?

nothing but respect for the man from m
came even though we hadn't won promotion
has put up with constant criticism, but you could still sense the excitement when he got the ball in space

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Music/Pix/pictures/2011/7/13/1310579502636/New-Order-left-to-right-G-007.jpg

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 09:40
+1

Furriner (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 09:48
Trouble is his potential was too often stifled by centres (and wannabe backs) running diagonally then shipping the ball to him when they realised they’d run out of space. I’m afraid we wasted his talents in so many games. But thankfully we have some very decent cover for his position.

robtheh (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 10:03
Quote:
Furriner
Trouble is his potential was too often stifled by centres (and wannabe backs) running diagonally then shipping the ball to him when they realised they’d run out of space. I’m afraid we wasted his talents in so many games. But thankfully we have some very decent cover for his position.

Fair call: I can recall several examples of Jordan Williams doing exactly this to him!

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
07 March, 2018 10:43
Quote:
elegia
who are people going to pick on now TV has gone?

Tuvs. Possibly Hurrel too when he comes back.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
11 March, 2018 13:44
I originally thought he a luxury big money signing that we didn't need. I think when assessing him you have to remember he was on a big salary, and his value for money decreased. For that reason alone I suspect he has been let go.

The fact that he had to have a serious rethink when we screwed up the play-offs added to my doubt, suspect there were no better offers at that late stage. But unlike other I thought he showed far more commitment in the Champ that season, looked to be a ream player, and working hard for his money. In the prem, for a brief spell playing off Woody he looked very good for a while, but I think age and injury had started to show. This season he seemed to need to be put in a lot of space to get up to speed and be the danger he once was. Also for what ever reason he looked increasing lost in defence/high ball despite his physique, as someone else said Lee Robinson like.

I wish him all the best for the future, but hope that one of the youngsters can grab the chance to become the new TV for Bris.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net