rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
McMillan & Tuohy gone...
robtheh (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 10:40
Two first team players have left Bristol Rugby with immediate effect.

Hooker Ross McMillan and lock Dan Tuohy are released from their contracts by mutual consent.

“We had open discussions with these guys and it was agreed that the best decision for all parties was to release them early from their contracts,” said head coach Pat Lam.

“Both men have served Bristol Rugby well and worked hard during their time at the club. We wish them well for the next chapter and thank them for their efforts."

[www.bristolrugby.co.uk]

Best of luck to both.

Re: McMillan & Tuohy gone...
lukesmith17 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 10:46
Sad 2 see. Two good guys.
Good luck for the future

thorpebayexile (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 10:53
My own view is that McMillan was our best hooker. Unlucky with injuries though. Front row much more solid when he is there.

08 March, 2018 10:55
Good luck to both, always thought Ross was excellent and I think his injuries have hindered him in recent seasons top man as well. Tuohy I thought was one our best forwards last season always going forward and added some well needed steel where it counted just the sort we need I would have said, but what do I know?

youngone (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 11:00
any danger of the club announcing anything positive?!

inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 11:02
There is clearly a "changing of the guard" going on over recent days/weeks. This is exactly what Pat Lam was brought in to do.

Best wishes to departing players, some of whom have been consistently good servants of the club.

The club's stated aim is to move to the next level, something Pat and the coaching staff clearly see these moves (and others) as being part of.

robtheh (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 11:06
I'll admit to being a bit concerned in recent weeks at our ability to compete next season...I think that this has made me realise that there is a full-on clearout happening. Pat's clearly not an idiot and unless he wants us to get relegated, then I can only see us recruiting even more heavily, and with more quality, than has been reported.

SimonB (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 11:33
All pretty depressing news, but not unexpected. Ross was undoubtedly our best hooker when fit with the power that is needed and lacking in others. Tuohy? Well we haven't seen him this year - last year he had about 8 games in the Prem including around Xmas/New Year when we started to look like we could survive. As with others he goes off to Tigers this year and thrives, yet not a lookin back home.

It seems more and more that we don't want tight forwards with old fashioned grunt, we want them to stand as second receiver and play like a centre. And then we get stuffed up front in just about every game. Perhaps I am missing something and the new recruits will work magic, but I am unimpressed like most others regarding our forwards this year. That's why losing these two is rather sad.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 11:37
Best of luck to both, it's a real shame both ended their time with us after injury. As above I think they are quality and we will need decent replacements for them. Didn't they both have local connections as well?

Cunning Stunts (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 11:38
I hope you’re right Rob. The press seem to have all of the agents on hand to get inside lines on deals so it doesn’t bode well that ithey’ve all gone silent except for a few championship prospects. Everyone we’ve been linked to appear to have been signed up elsewhere now.
As Sarries and others have proven, adding championship talent to seasoned internationals works, building a squad who have never played at the higher level does not.
Can’t fathom the Tuohy situation. Quality player, Bristolian, never given a chance by Lam.
I truly hope that we sign more proper quality but I think it’ll be some more pacific island journeymen and decent championship players.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2018 11:40 by Cunning Stunts.

robtheh (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 11:49
Quote:
Cunning Stunts
I hope you’re right Rob. The press seem to have all of the agents on hand to get inside lines on deals so it doesn’t bode well that ithey’ve all gone silent except for a few championship prospects. Everyone we’ve been linked to appear to have been signed up elsewhere now.
As Sarries and others have proven, adding championship talent to seasoned internationals works, building a squad who have never played at the higher level does not.
Can’t fathom the Tuohy situation. Quality player, Bristolian, never given a chance by Lam.
I truly hope that we sign more proper quality but I think it’ll be some more pacific island journeymen and decent championship players.

I am hoping for the three (maybe spuriously) rumoured head-turners to really be that. It's interesting to note that two of the three recent releases would probably have been on relatively high wages (Varndell & Tuohy) and if Tonga'uiha does, as rumoured, prove to be off at season's end, I suspect the same could be said of him.
I'm very much guessing here, but I do suspect that this would leave us with a pretty decent bit of room under the cap.
With regard to players elsewhere being signed up already, I believe that the Top 14 are looking to increase the number of French-qualified players within, at the expense of foreign talent: I think that's where we'll see a few moves being made.

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 11:50
First of all, best wishes to both players. Good luck in the future.

Secondly I'd echo what Simon says above about Tuohy. Looked good for us in the Premiership, loaned out and performs well in the Premiership but doesn't get a look in for us. I'm not clear what the strategy is here. It's not like we are steamrolling every side in the Championship, so surely proven Premiership players would be an asset? Even if it is just to get us back in the Premiership.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 11:50
I think the problem is we cannot recruit nor afford the top quality English talent, so where and who else is there? Pat had time coaching in the southern hemisphere, has a reputation, contacts and will only pick up those who have the right mentality so perhaps journeymen isn't the right word for who he wants and will hopefully get.

Peter_B (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 11:55
Good luck to any player who leaves us this season. I hope these two finds clubs asap and continue with their careers.

I have no idea who Pat has in the pipeline but the sooner we guarantee promotion the better.

Peter

C'mon you Bristol Boys!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2018 12:26 by Peter_B.

inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 11:59
I'm not sure why some people have a problem with this. Some seem to want to have their cake & eat it.

Undoubtedly both McMillan and Tuohy played with full commitment to the cause, as did Varndell from yesterday's announcement. Great, but where did it get us in the Prem? Plus two of those were likely on fairly heavy money out of salary cap.

Similarly, people cry out for "local talent" to be sourced, but when Uren has an iffy game we want the chequebook pulled out for a superstar 9.

Pat Lam clearly has a plan and a strategy he wishes to implement, together with an idea of the players who can deliver it. He appears to be being backed by Mr.Lansdown to do it, so we need to let them get on with it.

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 12:03
I think the concern is that someone like Tuohy did a good job for us in the Prem and is good enough to be loaned out to Leicester but doen't get a game for us when fit and is then released early. When we are struggling in the forwards.

BigO (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 12:03
Genuinely sad to see Ross leave the club. As said above, he was probably our most consistent and best all round hooker. Lovely guy too - great clubman. I wish him and his family the very best of luck for the future.

I can only echo what some have said about Tuohy. One of many high profile signings to have come in only to not feature or get loaned out. I'm sure there's always logic to these things, but sometimes I just don't get it, unless there's other factors at play - e.g. attitude, personality. That's sport I guess.

Anyway, onwards and hopefully upwards.

bennystoon (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 12:08
Quote:
inatthebreakdown
I'm not sure why some people have a problem with this. Some seem to want to have their cake & eat it.
Undoubtedly both McMillan and Tuohy played with full commitment to the cause, as did Varndell from yesterday's announcement. Great, but where did it get us in the Prem? Plus two of those were likely on fairly heavy money out of salary cap.

Similarly, people cry out for "local talent" to be sourced, but when Uren has an iffy game we want the chequebook pulled out for a superstar 9.

Pat Lam clearly has a plan and a strategy he wishes to implement, together with an idea of the players who can deliver it. He appears to be being backed by Mr.Lansdown to do it, so we need to let them get on with it.

I am in no way calling out Lam or am comparing the situation but just remember Lansdowne and Booey backed Robinson for way too long and left things too late. I just hope lessons have been learnt!

Spiderweb (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 12:29
Booey. He's been quiet.

EC Boy (IP Logged)
08 March, 2018 13:38
Particularly sad that Ross is off. One of few players that made us look so much more effective on the pitch. Can only hope a big hitter is coming in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2018 13:42 by EC Boy.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net