rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: WOW
Peter D (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 09:36
Absolutely agree. Silence (preferably) or applause before the game. Didn't think it was appropriate in the course of the game (even in these particular circumstances.

Prop Joe (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 09:47
Fortunately it happened just after a Bristol try and while Madigan was preparing for a conversion so I thought worked well and even the players could join in. But if this was slightly later and say a team is camped near the line going through phase after phase it would seem strange?

Rich. (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 10:05
Why was it during the game?

Prop Joe (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 10:10
It was on the 27th minute Rich, as Ian Williams was 27 when he died.

Rich. (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 10:20
Quote:
Prop Joe

Are right thanks. If I was a Donny player I would not want to have been playing at the time and my mind may have gone to him leading up to 27 mins and after. I'd have wanted to be thinking of him at the start during a minute's silence and saying a little prayer for him and his loved ones. I know it wasn't meant to be in any way but it also feels a bit 'gimmicky' if you know what I mean. A bit 'fashionable' which can make it appear less sincere.

Old Bristolian (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 10:43
I presume it was decided by those who knew him best. Like funerals, if it was their decision it is not for others to criticise.

Rich. (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 10:45
Quote:
Old Bristolian
I presume it was decided by those who knew him best. Like funerals, if it was their decision it is not for others to criticise.

True if that is what happened. Not criticising it but just querying whether it is the best thing going forward

Cidered Abroad (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 12:23
Quote:
Rich.
Quote:
Prop Joe

Are right thanks. If I was a Donny player I would not want to have been playing at the time and my mind may have gone to him leading up to 27 mins and after. I'd have wanted to be thinking of him at the start during a minute's silence and saying a little prayer for him and his loved ones. I know it wasn't meant to be in any way but it also feels a bit 'gimmicky' if you know what I mean. A bit 'fashionable' which can make it appear less sincere.

Agree, don't know how anyone can pay respect and continue watching or even playing. But perhaps I'm just a grumpy old sod now who doesn't want to be reminded of my own mortality?

(Sm130)

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 12:27
You could argue that the game already lost by that point, but the timing of donny's complete drop off coincides with the tongahuia try and minute's applause. A nice gesture though it was, there might have been a more effective way of doing it.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 12:54
In reality the game didn't continue during the applause like I've seen in the round ball game. The ref did well and deserves credit as he seem to have told Madigan to hold the conversion for a bit while the applause stated which worked really well. He then seemed to indicate to him to start his prep a few second before the end was announced.

Like some of the comments above I would have struggle to take part if this had been when the game was active. Happily old school as I firmly believe in the minutes silence in respect to be observed before the game followed by applause at the end, not a minutes clapping and not during active play. I've been at some matches when the modern trend by some for minutes applause has ruined the silence asked for.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

gran (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 20:39
I stood up because everyone around me stood up. Neither the bloke next to me or the bloke in front knew why.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net