rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
New Signings
Jimeno (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 15:47
Was just listening to Mark Tainton on Radio Bristol and it seems that there are no more signings planned.

Re: New Signings
Furriner (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 15:50
Echoes of deja-vu in which case. Nowhere near strong enough for the Prem at current levels of squad strength.

Jimeno (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 16:05

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 16:08
Quote:
Furriner
Echoes of deja-vu in which case. Nowhere near strong enough for the Prem at current levels of squad strength.

Well, Robinson belonged to the school of thought which sticks with the squad that got you there (as a reward/incentive and roughly of the standard to survive) and add a sprinkling of stardust/experience on top, where we could. Problem for Robinson was seven yeara of second tier rugby, the stupid pray off format and our inability to get through them despite consistently being the best side botched most potential recruitment.

Now we have a changed format so it's easier to recruit, some bigger signings, and a clear out of 27 players (was it?). Whether some of those coming in are good enough and did we let some players/coaches slip we should have retained is a different story and time will tell. What I do firmly believe in is what Pat is bringing back to us which was eroded over time for various reasons to varying degrees, which is culture and the essence of our club.

Pat needs to be with us for some years at least so we can really start to benefit from all the work he is doing.

thorpebayexile (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 16:13
I would be surprised if this was the case. However if you draw a starting xv from the Lam vision thread then you would have this.

Loose Head
1. Lay
2. Thacker
3. Afoa
4. Vui
5. Muldowney
6. Lam
7. D Thomas
8. Lautua
9. Stirzaker
10.Madigan
11.Morahan
12.Pisi
13.S Puitau
14.Leiua
15.C Puitau

To me that looks a lot lot stronger than last time around in the prem. To me I would still expect another marquee signing and additions at lock, wing and centre.

In terms of units out front row looks to be solid premiership standard, second row still looks light; back row as good as most top 6 prem teams, the jury is out on the new 9 until we see him but at 10 Madigan is as good as any other 10 in the prem. Our back 3 could be world class and maybe we need to bolster the centres.

I'm a lot more positive than the last time but still expect more signings.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 16:18
Damn, I've just read my post back and my grasp of the English language is very poor today - absolutely no idea why that is! grinning smiley

Hope the sentiment is clear however.

JamboBris (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 16:53
Difference between signings planned and signings to announce. Tainton said he feels we've recruited well so personally expect more to be announced. May be wrong.

Jimeno (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 17:12
Quote:
JamboBris
Difference between signings planned and signings to announce. Tainton said he feels we've recruited well so personally expect more to be announced. May be wrong.

His words are "there are no newcomers imminent - I think we are at the end of our recruitment".

Make of that what you will.

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 17:18
Which didn't exactly chime with what Steve Lansdown said on Sky before the game.

JamboBris (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 17:51
Quote:
Jimeno
Quote:
JamboBris

His words are "there are no newcomers imminent - I think we are at the end of our recruitment".

Make of that what you will.

Ah sorry i must have caught a different bit. Personally don't see it. We need a few more for me.

Since 1888 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 17:56
Me too, we canít be anywhere near the salary cap yet can we?
When you compare our squad to say Wasps who will have a not too dissimilar squad size the quality difference is pretty huge. Now Iím not saying we can sign the same quality and will be overpaying most probably for what we have signed but still I would have put money on a few more to come in.
I fear over a season our squad quality will be exposed but I really hope Iím wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/04/2018 17:57 by Since 1888.

BigO (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 18:04
Quote:
Gray_Lensman
Which didn't exactly chime with what Steve Lansdown said on Sky before the game.

What was the gist GL?

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 18:35
It was something along the lines of still looking to strengthen but I can't remember exactly what. When I get back this evening I'll try and have a look. Anyone else who recorded it feel free to respond!

BigO (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 19:08
Quote:
Gray_Lensman
It was something along the lines of still looking to strengthen but I can't remember exactly what. When I get back this evening I'll try and have a look. Anyone else who recorded it feel free to respond!

Thanks - much appreciated.

Rich. (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 19:21
Would be good to hear what he has to say as having now listened, what Taints said and how he said it suggested no-one else coming unless when they assess the squad in summer they decide they need to strengthen (or words to that effect)

Prop Joe (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 19:35
Quote:
Rich.
Would be good to hear what he has to say as having now listened, what Taints said and how he said it suggested no-one else coming unless when they assess the squad in summer they decide they need to strengthen (or words to that effect)

Going back to a couple of years ago, we announced the signing of Jason Woodward in September, so maybe one or two Super 14 rather than any premiership "stars". Would be surprised if a 2nd row doesn't come.

Rich. (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 19:51
Yep could be a good shout that Joe

Gd10 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 22:04
According to Carlos Spencer we have signed a certain Patrick Tuipulotu for next season

JamboBris (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 22:09
That would be a hell of a signing. Imagine 4 all blacks in the starting XV.

Bristol-Supporter (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 22:14
Gd10 - where does Carlos state that?

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net