rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Current Page: 1 of 17
Re-branding
EverOptimistic (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 17:12
Tweet from RIL

EXCLUSIVE RUMOUR: We gather from a number of sources that Bristol Rugby may be set to rebrand for their return to the Premiership.

We donít currently have a name, but hopefully more to come!

Hoping this doesn't happen but could be quite amusing to speculate!

Re: Re-branding
Spiderweb (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 17:45
A new major sponsor is coming

Peter_B (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 17:46
To be fair most of the Premiership clubs have a moniker, Tigers, Saints, Falcons, Sharks etc.

Peter

C'mon you Bristol Boys!

Rich. (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 17:50
Oh please no!!!! We have a nickname/moniker (Briz). Saints and Tigers are very long-standing nicknames that they added to the town name. We don't need it. We don't need to be Bristol Shoguns or whatever!!!

Peter D (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 17:56
Tigers and Saints have a long pedigree. Sharks and Falcons are mmarketers' inventions. Hated being Shoguns; don't wish to be anything other than Bristol - says it all, we are Bristol's rugby club.

gaudi (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 18:01
....and itís a no thank you from me.

gaudi (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 18:02
Bears. Apparently

lukesmith17 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 18:03
Bristol Bears

Peter D (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 18:09
So, we invent a mascot - and then name the club after him.

I thought the red in the kit was disrespectful enough to our heritage, but this is worse, much worse.

Milesmob (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 18:15
I don't mind a name extension to something like Bristol Bears (we can then keep Brizzly Bear) but I don't want a commercial name like we had before in the Shoguns as it has a limited life. A new sponsor and a new name every couple of years we could all do without.
My main fear, and this is purely speculation, is that a rebranding could incorporate a kit colour change to red. We have been introducing red into out kits over the last couple of seasons and our away kit is red. I don't want to start scare mongering but as I said this is purely fearful speculation and a horrible thought at most.

Peter D (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 18:31
Agreed. I can't see why respecting our tradition and heritage is so hard for the club / Bristol Sport. The best marketing strategy is to make Bristol successful, not divisive rebranding exercises.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2018 18:32 by Peter D.

tbr (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 19:11
I just googled "Bristol bears" and was directed to a website that I certainly didn't expect to see....
A headsup though (perhaps) for those in charge of this alleged re-branding.

Rich. (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 19:17
If true this will I'm sure be a result of someone in a marketing role with no real knowledge of English club rugby thinking Sales and Newcastle have an added bit so therefore so should Bristol. It won't encourage one new fan but will p off most existing ones and some potential new ones as well. Just hope this isn't true.

Almost all Cardiff Blues fans still hate the blues tag on and call the team Cardiff, just as was the case with us and Shoguns. Also if true yet more example of no checking with fans

EC Boy (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 19:19
Quote:
tbr
I just googled "Bristol bears" and was directed to a website that I certainly didn't expect to see....
A headsup though (perhaps) for those in charge of this alleged re-branding.

"The Bear Necessities of Life, They'll Come to you
(They'll Come to Me!)
They'll Come to You."

:-)

Platwell House (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 19:22
All for a rebrand, ditch the 'Rugby' and lets call ourselves Bristol RFC.

Peter D (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 19:30
Or even Bristol FC (RFU)

Rich. (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 19:34
As said Leicester and Northampton just added nicknames they'd had for years. Other than that all those who had added bits to their names in England have been smaller clubs with low fan-base (at least at the time) looking for an identity and thinking (15 years ago or whenever) that it was the 'new' thing to do. No one has done it in years and for good reason + we are an established 'sleepimg giant' team with big fan base. And our identity is we are Bristol's rugby team!

P.s. can someone merge the 2 threads on this!

EverOptimistic (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 19:39
"Bristol Bears" is the name of the Bristol Rugby wheelchair rugby team

Offy

Chet Ripley (IP Logged)
Címon you Bears!

Big Dave (IP Logged)
I really, really hope that this is not the case.

Current Page: 1 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net