rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Current Page: 14 of 18

Re: Re-branding
The Old Rascal (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:03
I agree with both airdog and Gray again. My grandfather played for Bristol Rugby for many years, was captain 1918-1919 and played in the opening game at the Memorial Ground. William (Billy) Wring would be turning in his grave if he knew what was happening to his beloved rugby club. I still have a lot of his memorabilia including his caps and his blazer badge which he wore with pride everywhere.
I have not bought any shirts with red on and continue to wear my old blue and white hooped shirt with the letter on the back.
Come to think of it the blazer badge could be useful to sew on a shirt. No I will not be getting a season ticket either.

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:11
My biggest concern comes from the Steve Landsdown interview video, which at one point says;

"it came from me, originally".

I truly hope that that paraphrases as "came from research that I had requested be undertaken"

I have seen enough owner/CEO pet projects end up as utter trainwrecks, because nobody challenges them on it, or forces them to validate their thinking.

Rich. (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:13
Ah but hope is a fickle thing Alex! I don't think we've ever done research and I'm sure we didn't this time. If they had they'd have said so

Big Dave (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:18
I think Stephen Lansdown could change rugby in this hemisphere more than the Toulouse bloke, John Hall and Nigel Wray combined.

I am seeing more than just some corporate branding speak illustrating an ideal and moral bear here (Paddington's angrier cousin?).

I am seeing a ringfenced set of UK franchises then an international franchise competition. Not saying he'll get it but there is more at work here than bears.

Rich. (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:21
I don't Big Dave. Nothing so planned.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:29
Quote:
Big Dave
I am seeing a ringfenced set of UK franchises then an international franchise competition. Not saying he'll get it but there is more at work here than bears.

This is the only saving grace for me, if we truly get international recognition from continued success in a global league then Bristol Bears I'm happy with.

How likely is this to happen though?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2018 16:29 by Rinkadink.

Big Dave (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:31
Quote:
Rich.
I don't Big Dave. Nothing so planned.

Well, I could see such ambitions in the Tainton stuff.

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:44
Do any of you guy's who are not renewing your ST's sit under cover, centrally, in the Lansdown Stand?

I'm looking to change my seat and sit there next season to watch Premiership Rugby in Bristol, so I'm hoping there'll be a couple of available seats in that area.

By the way, I too go back to the John Blake era.

chuckynut (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:46
Quote:
The Old Rascal
I agree with both airdog and Gray again. My grandfather played for Bristol Rugby for many years, was captain 1918-1919 and played in the opening game at the Memorial Ground. William (Billy) Wring would be turning in his grave if he knew what was happening to his beloved rugby club.

I imagine he has been turning in his grave pretty continuously for the last 20/30 years as would any player that era from any club looking at modern rugby.

It's a very different game and set of values (not for the good in many ways). Whether you are sad or excited about this, keeping a club crest and kit is not going to turn back the clock. So think the choice each club faces is to change or die, it's just a question of how you do it.

If we ever manage to have sustained success at the very highest level of club rugby, a stadium full and more people supporting the club than we do now then those that have played before should be able to sleep more soundly (even if the kit is different).

spacemedic1 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:47
Actually, I think Big Dave may have a point here.

Would SL push ahead with the whole glitzy, razzamatazz, ‘together we rise’ re-branding if he thought there was a chance that we’d be relegated after a season, & he’d be left looking pretty damn stupid with a huge amount of egg on his face..??

I doubt it....

Maybe the whole ring-fencing/franchise thing is just around the corner & Steve Lansdowne knows it..??

Bath Gladiators, Gloucester Boars..etc,etc..??

Watch this space..

Bristol Fashion (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:52
As much as I am all up for being positive about this change (see previous comments) and trying to kick-start a new era, I am and always have been against ringfencing, so I really hope that this is not the backdrop to this.

I must say my heart sank a bit when I heard SL's comments on Sky about ringfencing, but I guess if you are the investor it makes sense to support it, especially if you have been yo-yoing between divisions and have seen the gulf in sponsorship/TV etc between the two leagues.

The Champ gives England rugby so much though, we must keep relegation.

cricketjerry-mouse (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:54
I wonder how much the re-branding has/and will cost?

Design consultancies, advertising firms, public relations companies, new signage, stationery, booklets, kit, team bus, match tickets, programmes, Ashton Gate - and that is just to name some of the expenditure.

When the charity Help the Aged changed its name to Age UK (at the behest of Prince Charles) the exercise cost just shy of £450,000 in the first year - and all that paid for by contributions from the general public.

Obviously, the general public will only contribute indirectly to the birth of the Bristol Bears. But just how many Premier League player salaries will it soak up?

Rich. (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:19
Quote:
spacemedic1
Actually, I think Big Dave may have a point here.
Would SL push ahead with the whole glitzy, razzamatazz, ‘together we rise’ re-branding if he thought there was a chance that we’d be relegated after a season, & he’d be left looking pretty damn stupid with a huge amount of egg on his face..??

Why egg on his face ? I don't see the connection. This rebranding will not help us to stay up nor hinder us will it?

Channel2 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:34
Quote:
AlexInSouthville
My biggest concern comes from the Steve Landsdown interview video, which at one point says;
"it came from me, originally".

I truly hope that that paraphrases as "came from research that I had requested be undertaken"

I have seen enough owner/CEO pet projects end up as utter trainwrecks, because nobody challenges them on it, or forces them to validate their thinking.

In sporting terms he is a @#$%& idiot.
He is also an autocrat who employs yes men - certainly at BCFC, which explains the mediocre performances througout his tenure.

Dieselpup (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:36
It isn't all bad - at least we are not Bath!

(Sm100)

spacemedic1 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:42
Well, my comment was based on the Mark Tainton interview where he stated that the re-branding was intended to introduce the club as a ‘global’ brand & break into markets in Asia and the USA....as well as to fill Ashton Gate to near it’s maximum capacity.

I’d suggest that we’d be unlikely to achieve those aims from the Championship and, therefore, relegation after one season would indicate that the re-branding was an error of judgement..??

Rich. (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 18:04
Ah right with you spacemedic (kind of) Tbh if any kids in Chicago or Taipai etc start buying Bristol Bear shirts I'll be amazed. Be great (probably) if the Prem clubs could have that success - but on the other hand many would argue that premiership football success overseas has been to the detriment of the sport in this country. All it's done is make top players ever more wealthy and encouraged owners into the game but not for the love of the game.

PaulwithaGuinness (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 18:23
My initial reaction was in line with many from the 'wtf' camp....however, now having heard the reasoning and vision I'm warming to it.

The kit doesn't work with Red and needs to be redressed, I still don't understand why the away kit isn't red, with the blue and white hoops home?

Guess we need to be very good at mauling....

inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 18:32
I think you'll all find there's more to this than a rebranding whim from Bristol alone. There are wider factors at play here, which will become clear.

youngone (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 18:44
Bit of an emotional rollercoaster from yesterday in to today and a lot of good points made on both sides. In my mind this is absolutely to commit to staying up next season, this major rebranding and immediate relegation would be awful for the club. All I can say is that the signings had not yet be over because I feel with all this hype especially around the re brand, we can't be relying on a squad that is 3 major injuries away from being a squad that can not hack it in the prem.

Let's hope the club give us a legitimate and honest explanation to all of the voiced concerns at the q and a and not some pre scripted BS.

Current Page: 14 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net