rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Current Page: 15 of 18

Re: Re-branding
Ozjow (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 18:51
Having had all the highs and mostly lows for my 30 plus years supporting the club, and let's be honest, they have been mostly lows, I'm not that worried by the change. I can't say I'm surprised by the hysterical reaction in some quarters, but I'll definitely be renewing my season ticket and can't understand why anyone would want to stop supporting a team over a name when Bristol is still retained.

The main thing is we have a wealthy owner committed to the long term future of the club. We are not merged with B#th, playing in Swindon / Oxford / Newport. Nor have we done a London Welsh, Orrell, West Hartlepool, Wakefield etc. Bristol has never got professionalism right, and I'm willing to back the change in name at what will hopefully be the time we truly kick on. For whatever reason Bristol sport (and I deliberately use the lower case) has massively underperformed over the years and if this may somehow unlock the potential then I'm all for it.

I find the comments from the Treasurer of the Supporters Club on BBC Sport rather naive and unhelpful. I can't see how it can be said to be accurate to suggest that the Supporters Club speak for the majority of fans (I appreciate this is dragging up some rather old debates on this site). It is some years since I have been a member and whilst they do some great work and have a loyal band of supporters I must have missed them getting this mandate....

Also the suggestion that Bristol will be made fun of because of the name "Bristol Bears" is frankly weak and embarrassing of itself. I would have thought that most supporters would be sufficiently thick skinned to handle any such ribbing. We've certainly had to put up with worse over the years due to performance in the play offs and the like, and after all, fans of Sorries, the Pests, the Sinners, the Cheetahs, the Budgies etc all seem to have survived over the years without dying of embarrassment.

northface (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 18:56
This must have something to do with the Yanks taking over the branding of the Premiership next season.................

Bristol-Supporter (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 18:59
Well said Ozjow!

inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 19:01
Quote:
Ozjow
Having had all the highs and mostly lows for my 30 plus years supporting the club, and let's be honest, they have been mostly lows, I'm not that worried by the change. I can't say I'm surprised by the hysterical reaction in some quarters, but I'll definitely be renewing my season ticket and can't understand why anyone would want to stop supporting a team over a name when Bristol is still retained.
The main thing is we have a wealthy owner committed to the long term future of the club. We are not merged with B#th, playing in Swindon / Oxford / Newport. Nor have we done a London Welsh, Orrell, West Hartlepool, Wakefield etc. Bristol has never got professionalism right, and I'm willing to back the change in name at what will hopefully be the time we truly kick on. For whatever reason Bristol sport (and I deliberately use the lower case) has massively underperformed over the years and if this may somehow unlock the potential then I'm all for it.

I find the comments from the Treasurer of the Supporters Club on BBC Sport rather naive and unhelpful. I can't see how it can be said to be accurate to suggest that the Supporters Club speak for the majority of fans (I appreciate this is dragging up some rather old debates on this site). It is some years since I have been a member and whilst they do some great work and have a loyal band of supporters I must have missed them getting this mandate....

Also the suggestion that Bristol will be made fun of because of the name "Bristol Bears" is frankly weak and embarrassing of itself. I would have thought that most supporters would be sufficiently thick skinned to handle any such ribbing. We've certainly had to put up with worse over the years due to performance in the play offs and the like, and after all, fans of Sorries, the Pests, the Sinners, the Cheetahs, the Budgies etc all seem to have survived over the years without dying of embarrassment.

+1 well said Sir!

hooker 72 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 19:18
Great stuff Ozjow great stuff, also gotta say I really like the kit for next season, loving the black away strip. Already excited about next season #brizzbears

Albertfromla (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 20:00
Apparently Yogie,Paddington and Bear Gryls have been signed on for next season

CF_Doom (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 20:08
Quote:
Ozjow

+1 from me also. We are not the first and won't be the last (I'm pretty sure) to do this!

I'm not knocking Ealing but at least we are not going down the route of using a corporate brand as a name revamp (i.e Trailfinders)

Bristol-Supporter (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 20:31
north face - this has feck all to do with the yanks - it's Landsdown's idea!

fleetg (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 20:46
It could be worse : Bath Plugs/Towels/Mats !!!

Albertfromla (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 21:25
Spot on,we are and will always be Bris. Please let's put an end to all the@#$%&about us being a sleeping giant. I am 74 yrs old and have been a supporter since I was 15 I have been through the "Golden years" and the@#$%&years. But we have to move on and Without MR Steven Lansdown we wouldn't be having this debate
For gods sake we are a rugby club that has underachieved for so many years. Bristol Bears bring it on

dpw (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 22:09
Well said Albert - from another old 'un.

dpw

Singapore Sam (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 03:29
So here's a quick bit of market research, was talking to my Wife (who has zero interest in Rugby) about the rebranding and she said "well what's the new name" and I said "Bristol Bears" and she laughed and said "no really what's the name" and I said "it's Bristol Bears" and she said "well that's ridiculous" and walked off.

Also saw Tainton's (obviously scripted) comments and nearly spat my morning tea! I have been heavily involved in Asian rugby for a good many years and the notion that a rebranding and name change (even if part of a wider initiative by the Premier League) will attract an Asian fanbase is just plain fanciful. World Rugby and several attempts by the Southern Hemisphere, which is geographically much closer, to widen the appeal of the game have all met with little success (with the exception of 7's to some extent) so the expectation that rebranding of a club from a city that most Asians have never heard of with no success in many people's lifetime will get them running for the TV remote or buying tickets for the Asian tour is just complete nonsense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/04/2018 05:52 by Singapore Sam.

bris_rob (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 07:01
Quote:
Singapore Sam
So here's a quick bit of market research, was talking to my Wife (who has zero interest in Rugby) about the rebranding and she said "well what's the new name" and I said "Bristol Bears" and she laughed and said "no really what's the name" and I said "it's Bristol Bears" and she said "well that's ridiculous" and walked off.
Also saw Tainton's (obviously scripted) comments and nearly spat my morning tea! I have been heavily involved in Asian rugby for a good many years and the notion that a rebranding and name change (even if part of a wider initiative by the Premier League) will attract an Asian fanbase is just plain fanciful. World Rugby and several attempts by the Southern Hemisphere, which is geographically much closer, to widen the appeal of the game have all met with little success (with the exception of 7's to some extent) so the expectation that rebranding of a club from a city that most Asians have never heard of with no success in many people's lifetime will get them running for the TV remote or buying tickets for the Asian tour is just complete nonsense.

Ditto USA.

Didn't everyone notice the vast crowds attending the Saracens (back-to-back European Champs) v L Irish match staged in New York? It was more like a Bristol home Championship match.

I know nothing's impossible – and it's great to have dreams and goals – but building an international following will take years of touring abroad to build familiarisation and a fan base. That's how top football clubs like M.U. and Liverpool do it.

Home matches in Shanghai anyone?

Singapore Sam (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 07:12
Quote:
bris_rob
Home matches in Shanghai anyone?

Closer for me (Sm13)

AndyJB (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 07:18
Saw this on rolling maul, perhaps there is a bear history for Bristol. Anyway I WILL be renewing my season ticket today but won't be buying a shirt until the Bristol crest is back on.

[www.bristol247.com]

elegia (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 08:44
when people heard that chicago's American football team were called the Chicago bears did they think that's ridiculous, what have bears got to do with Chicago? don't bears hibernate? they'll be a laughing stock (this is my favourite as we join a league containing teams called falcons from that well known falconrycentric area in the north east & sharks from Cheshire where you daren't swim in the sea with all the attacks they've had there
no
they thought, oh that's their name, right, they've changed it like newcastle, sale, Auckland, Cardiff, wellington, natal etc etc
that's what will happen over time here

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Music/Pix/pictures/2011/7/13/1310579502636/New-Order-left-to-right-G-007.jpg

Prodigalson (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 09:11
There's already some good natured riibbing taking place, but that won't last forever. And it can't be as hurtful as the pity in the eyes of the opposition's fans or the condescension in the voice of the pundits and s they talk about "proud history or "sleeping giant" about a team not expected to ever win a game at top level as happened last season.
Argue whether it's naff by all means. Conclude that its been clumsily handled with my full agreement. But I'm not sure you can fault the ambition or he intentions behind it.
In Steve Lansdowns world you stand or fall based in your results, and this won't be any different. If we start to win I suspect much of this will turn into so much hot air. And if we don't, the naysayers can all pipe up with "I told you So."
Until then, this is still my team, for better or worse, and I'm hanging on in there waiting for the tide to turn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/04/2018 09:13 by Prodigalson.

Cooombsy (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 09:17
Now we've all slept on it then how are we all feeling?

There were a lot of knee-jerk reactions yesterday across the Twitter, Facebook and Insta platforms as well, of course, as on here. I guess shock was the instant feeling. Maybe followed by a wry chuckle. And then later a pint or two!

It's a brave move. No doubt about that. But Steve Lansdown is an incredibly successful businessman. He hasn't built a 27,000 seater stadium for crowds of 10/12/15k - he wants it generating oodles of cash. He hasn't backed us to be hanging around the bottom of the Prem - he wants us succeeding on the pitch at the highest level. In short, I guess, in the crowded space that is sports marketing, he wants a brand creates interest, a buzz and ultimately a heavy commercial investment.

If this is what it takes to get Bris competing for the highest honours in the game then I guess it's a small price to pay.

gran (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 09:50
Afraid that Tainton seems to have taken his cue from the Boris Johnson/ Liam Fox brigade when talking about rugby growth in Asia, like post Brexit trade deals Asia will give rugby merely a nod of acquaintance.
Like Singapore Sam, my base is in Malaysia.

But I must agree with Ozjows excellent post. Bristol Bears need to look to the future, and attract new audiences against much competition from other sports. I assume that they have done some professional market research and, like any fmcg are aware of the need for regular rebranding of their product.

Ironically Imperial Brands is headquartered just opposite Ashton Gate. Have a look at their approach. Some still yearn for W.D. &H.O.Wills.

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 09:55
Well I for one am still feeling angry and betrayed.

I'd really like to see the evidence that this sort of thing has actually worked in other sports.

To refer to Chicago Bears and draw conclusions is mistaken in my view because the fundamental model in American sport is that of the commercial franchise. Many teams have uprooted and moved to more commercially advantageous climes, perhaps most notoriously the Brooklyn Dodgers who became the LA Dodgers (the best part of 3000 miles away), but there are numerous other examples. In rugby we have the recent example of Wasps and their move to Coventry. Sides which don’t represent an actual place or community can all too easily be moved around. I find the way in which Bears and references to The Bears predominate over any mention of Bristol very disquieting in this context.

Let’s say The Bears become inexplicably successful there will be nothing to stop Bristol Sport selling the franchise to, for example New York, Chicago or Moscow. Maybe there’s a short-term advantage (which I doubt) but in ten years, twenty… who can say. I’m not anti-progress and I have a certain admiration for bold plans. But I’d like to see actual evidence that shows this sort of thing really works and I would continue to be dubious about the long-term consequences.

And more trivially why pick a Bear for any reason other than alliteration given that Bristol has had no discernable connection with bears since the end of the last Ice Age? It's just lazy and unimaginative. Unless we really are targetting a particular niche section of the gay market.

Current Page: 15 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net