rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Current Page: 16 of 18

Re: Re-branding
Peter D (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 11:00
I still feel exactly as I felt yesterday.

This feels like the club have lost their way, at least in terms of their relationship with a large section of their supporters. That large large section includes many who have been supporters for many years, often decades. We have stuck with the club through the lean periods and have celebrated their successes. Through all that time they have been Bristol, even when they were Shoguns. They'll still be Bristol, even if they are Bears - a term I shall never use to refer to them.

However, I haven't stuck with the club just to throw away my affiliation which is to MY club. I am angry and hurt about this absurd decision. I don't need to be told that I should just "suck it up" because Steve Lansdown has poured more into the club than I ever have and that we wouldn't have a club if he hadn't. On one level that is true. On another level I, and quite a few like me, have spent a larger proportion of my wealth on following Bristol than he has (see Luke 21.1-4). I have certainly invested more emotional energy and love into this club. I care more about the club than he does. I value the club's existence more than he does (he may well feel the way I feel about Bristol about Bristol City). I believe that that gives me the right to be angry upset and emotional, and to express my opinions about this step.

Today I will renew my season ticket. Next season I will be there at Ashton Gate, grateful to Steve Lansdown and those thousands of Bristol fans and players who make this club what it is - and who will make it what it will be. The vision, as outlined in the brochure which is coming to season ticket holders, is inspiring and I buy into all that - except Bristol Bears.

shaunp (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 11:33
Dont know if its been said already (can't be bothered to read through 16 pages) but any away fans typing bristolbears.co.uk into their browsers will be directed to a gay bar in Old Market. interesting way to start your match day experience.

Purpendicular (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 12:01
Personally i don't care that much.

All the so called history mentioned earlier in the thread was when we were successful but amateur.

I don't see that team names have in any way held back Exeter, Sale, Leicester, Worcester, Any of the Welsh regions, some French sides or any Southern Hemisphere side- All of whom are currently of a higher status than we are.

Learn from the past-don't live in it.

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 12:14
Equally no one thinks their 'success' derive from their names. Worcester have never done anything other than bump along the bottom of the Prem/top of the Championship (and that's despite owning their own ground located right next to a motorway junction and no real local winter sport as a rival attraction). Sale don't even play in the same county as half their name suggests and scrape by on crowds lower than we get in the Championship. And if you think the Welsh regions are an example to follow then have a read of this

H@wasps (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 12:15
Quote:
shaunp
Dont know if its been said already (can't be bothered to read through 16 pages) but any away fans typing bristolbears.co.uk into their browsers will be directed to a gay bar in Old Market. interesting way to start your match day experience.

You might want to check out their Facebook page (Bristol Bear Bar)...

H@Wasps
A very cruel woman indeed!
And a pompous snob, apparently.

Allthetimeref (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 12:35
Wait until they see Brizzly performing

Footage of a bear performing for fans before a Russian football match has been condemned by animal welfare groups.

[bit.ly]

ConnorK10 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 13:25
I think their shared goal is inspiring.

The guys at the top have a vision which, judging by statements made by PL and social media posts from players, is shared by everyone.

I can't wait t get my season ticket.

I can't wait to be shouting "Come on Bears" next season and watch the majority of you grizzle and growl in disapproval.

More importantly though, I can't wait to see all the boys shine on the pitch and take our club to the next level.

#TogetherWeRise

C'mon Bris!

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 13:30
Normally I'd call a first post like this a piece of trolling but I have a vague feeling you're actually serious. Let's just see how 'Come on Bears' works out for you shall we. I think the use of the word 'you' in that sentence is quite telling.

ConnorK10 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 13:44
I am being serious and it will certainly work out better for me cheering the boys on than you not renewing your ticket for next year and missing out.

Got any big plans for next year? looks like you're going to have a bit more spare time on your hands!

17 April, 2018 13:52
I'll be shouting with you ConnorK10! We could be like Yogi and Boo-Boo!

Or, if we got a few more shouting, we could be the Hair Bear Bunch! Aah, Hanna-Barbera cartoons of my youth, how I miss you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/04/2018 14:05 by Too Many Blackthorns.

ConnorK10 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 14:02
There is a #BristolBear in all of us.

EverOptimistic (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 14:05
Interesting article on BBC

Owner Steve Lansdown prepared for 'dissenters' over name change

"The level of consultation with fans is the real important aspect," co-founder of the House brand agency Steve Fuller told BBC Radio Bristol.

"Sport is a grass-roots phenomenon and you should involve fans from the start of any decision like this.

"The idea that we're all averse to change isn't true. What we're really averse to is being given something rather than being involved in the process."

17 April, 2018 14:07
Quote:
ConnorK10
There is a #BristolBear in all of us.

Ooh, that's gonna hurt!!

Purpendicular (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 09:22
Quote:
Gray_Lensman
Equally no one thinks their 'success' derive from their names. Worcester have never done anything other than bump along the bottom of the Prem/top of the Championship (and that's despite owning their own ground located right next to a motorway junction and no real local winter sport as a rival attraction). Sale don't even play in the same county as half their name suggests and scrape by on crowds lower than we get in the Championship. And if you think the Welsh regions are an example to follow then have a read of this

I accept all of that but my point is are they collectively more or less successful than us?

I'd rather have Worcester or Sale's record over the last 7 years or so than ours.

hooker 72 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 09:46
Seems sales of season cards are going rather well, fans are voting with their hard earned money, on wether being called bears will effect their support or not.

KJS (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 10:39
H72, 1 + 1 = 3 in your world. Happy to support the team, happy to renew my season ticket yet again as usual, not happy with the rebranding. The rush to buy quickly I hope is an indication of increased sales but is just as likely to be driven by the reduced window for renewal. Time will tell, but I don't see sales as linked to the rebranding.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/04/2018 10:40 by KJS.

spacemedic1 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 11:53
Iím with KJS on this one.
Increased season card sales donít necessarily imply an acceptance of the re-branding, and are equally as likely to indicate a reluctance to cease supporting the club as result of it.
Iím sure there is also interest from people who havenít previously bought season tickets who want to watch Premiership rugby in Bristol regardless of what the team is called.
I suspect that the increased sales are in spite of the re-brand and not because of it.

Channel2 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 12:35
So,, Has anyone identified how renaming the club "Bears" is going to propel BRISTOL to the top table of European rugby?

If there is a shedload of sponsorship money that is conditional upon an appendage ok, but why Bears, Mr Lansdown ? Its such a @#$%& name with no relevance to the city that houses (currently) the club you own lock stock and barrel.

In any event, the revenue from 24,000 crowds doesnt help Leicester anymore than 6,000 at Sale because of the salary cap. That being the case, where will all the millions to apparently be earned by becoming a world giant in the game actually end up?

This is all bull @#$%& or perhaps bear @#$%& without a playing squad to compete and I would have thought it more appropriate to focus on that, or perhaps our leader has been listening to Mr Booy again and thinks we have a Premiership ready squad.If there are stars of the game worthy of wearing the famous bears shirt, then I would have thought the timing of the rebrand could have been managed closer to new player announcements.

An absolute PR disaster, attracting national media attention that Mr Ego surely did not expect - because no one dare tell him he is wrong.

Brown Bottle (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 14:20
Quote:
shaunp

Maybe Bears wasn't a great choice. Bristol Bumders?

BB

Channel2 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 14:43
Quote:
Brown Bottle

Maybe Bears wasn't a great choice. Bristol Bumders?

A bit homophobic Mr Bottle so not allowed.Perhaps all those who buy into this can be persuaded to purchase these from the clubshop and be known as the Brown Bear Helmets...[www.funidelia.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/04/2018 14:44 by Channel2.

Current Page: 16 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net