Rinkadink (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:25
Quote:
CF_Doom
Quote:
Rinkadink
Quote:
hooker 72
Iíve been on this forum for years, so Iíll second this thread. This clubs history on the whole has been one of failure on the field, false dawns, financial mistakes, running of the club by various clowns, flirting with going out of existence, we havenít been a sleeping giant and we have become a joke with our constant failings, so I think a refresh, reset and being dragged into a bright new dawn is long overdue. I havenít posted on here for ages due to the general vibe on here, but I feel strongly now is the time to wash out the failed mediocre past and look forward, bears with red on our shirt lifting the prem and champions cup trophies in time......Amen

And when we get relegated again or at best, 11th... will you be singing the same tune?

When we get relegated..... that's not very positive?!
It's realistic.

Does anyone think we'll be challenging for top 6 this coming season, aiming for top 4 prem playoffs with the squad and green coaches (Pat aside) that we currently have? Our management seem to.

Nobody in the rugby world outside the club thinks we are anything other than relegation/yoyo fodder and they're not wrong, as it stands. It's a huge task to keep us up, never mind consistently beat Exeter, Toulon, Leinster, etc when it really matters.

Re: Time For a Change
hooker 72 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:35
Iím not a Bristolian, Iím a Somerset lad after early years in the States, but Iíve worked in Bristol for many years now....sadly surrounded by rovers fans....I digress, over the years I heard the phrase said about Bristol a few times....a village pretending to be a city...and Iíve come to understand it, sections of the city want to drive it forward and make it a modern forward thinking place but other sections resist change and make out Bristol of old was the centre of the universe and fight any change, this club situation mirrors that, sections of the club wanting to move it forward, other sections clinging to the past when really the past wasnít that great. The past will never be erased or deleted but the club canít stagnate and continue to fail because it has to be how itís always been, well how it has been hasnít been that great and in lots of respects itís becone a bit of a joke. So hence my support for a modern reboot, make the past a guiding post not a hitching post. And for this forum, because people donít share the same opinion donít try and shout them down, itís a forum for adults supposedly to respect each otherís views. A great evening to you one and all.

CF_Doom (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:38
Quote:
Rinkadink
Quote:
CF_Doom
Quote:
Rinkadink
Quote:
hooker 72
Iíve been on this forum for years, so Iíll second this thread. This clubs history on the whole has been one of failure on the field, false dawns, financial mistakes, running of the club by various clowns, flirting with going out of existence, we havenít been a sleeping giant and we have become a joke with our constant failings, so I think a refresh, reset and being dragged into a bright new dawn is long overdue. I havenít posted on here for ages due to the general vibe on here, but I feel strongly now is the time to wash out the failed mediocre past and look forward, bears with red on our shirt lifting the prem and champions cup trophies in time......Amen

And when we get relegated again or at best, 11th... will you be singing the same tune?

It's realistic.

Does anyone think we'll be challenging for top 6 this coming season, aiming for top 4 prem playoffs with the squad and green coaches (Pat aside) that we currently have? Our management seem to.

Nobody in the rugby world outside the club thinks we are anything other than relegation/yoyo fodder and they're not wrong, as it stands. It's a huge task to keep us up, never mind consistently beat Exeter, Toulon, Leinster, etc when it really matters.

Having a positive mind set helps achieve goals, we may fall short of them but a survival goal is a negative.
No one thinks anything except total commitment, which we will get.

The melt downs on this forum are epic to say the least, it's lucky less than 1% of our fans use this platform to be honest.

Lets see what happens

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:57
Quote:
CF_Doom
Quote:
Rinkadink
Quote:
CF_Doom
Quote:
Rinkadink
Quote:
hooker 72

It's realistic.

Having a positive mind set helps achieve goals, we may fall short of them but a survival goal is a negative.
No one thinks anything except total commitment, which we will get.

The melt downs on this forum are epic to say the least, it's lucky less than 1% of our fans use this platform to be honest.

Lets see what happens

There's positive (staying up would be) but there's also the ludicrous.

As for jibe about meltdowns, my latest tweet has been read by over 3000 people in about 30 minutes and I'm a nobody as such. We all matter to some extent. I don't see how I've had one today, in fact I wouldn't use that term to describe many, if any, here at all.

elegia (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:09
Quote:
hooker 72
Iím not a Bristolian, Iím a Somerset lad after early years in the States, but Iíve worked in Bristol for many years now....sadly surrounded by rovers fans....I digress, over the years I heard the phrase said about Bristol a few times....a village pretending to be a city...and Iíve come to understand it, sections of the city want to drive it forward and make it a modern forward thinking place but other sections resist change and make out Bristol of old was the centre of the universe and fight any change, this club situation mirrors that, sections of the club wanting to move it forward, other sections clinging to the past when really the past wasnít that great. The past will never be erased or deleted but the club canít stagnate and continue to fail because it has to be how itís always been, well how it has been hasnít been that great and in lots of respects itís becone a bit of a joke. So hence my support for a modern reboot, make the past a guiding post not a hitching post. And for this forum, because people donít share the same opinion donít try and shout them down, itís a forum for adults supposedly to respect each otherís views. A great evening to you one and all.

well said.
I don't like the badge, I don't like the name
but I like the kit & I'm excited for the future

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Music/Pix/pictures/2011/7/13/1310579502636/New-Order-left-to-right-G-007.jpg

elegia (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:09
Quote:
hooker 72

well said.
I don't like the badge, I don't like the name
but I like the kit & I'm excited for the future

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Music/Pix/pictures/2011/7/13/1310579502636/New-Order-left-to-right-G-007.jpg

SimonB (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:12
I understand the reaction of those against this rebranding, and - yet again - over the new kit. I am a traditionalist and like change less than most.

However - just listen to the vision expressed by our backer Steve Lansdown, without who we would probably not be around. And listen to the passion of Pat Lam and the goals he is setting.

These goals ARE achievable but we have to keep changing and evolving if we are to stand any chance of next season and beyond not being a re-run of the past. As Pat says a lot of this is about mindset. Who knows how the rebranding will work but there are skilled people who know how to run successful businesses now involved. It will take time to feel comfortable with, but if we do well next season all the doubts will disappear.

Lets just stop complaining and get behind the new brand. The alternative is a lot of us will go into next season with a negative mindset and who will that help? No-one except maybe them down the road.

Prodigalson (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:13
I think some people have short memories. Not so long ago we came perilously close to either going out of existence, or turning into a nice little semi pro side competing for scraps in the national leagues. Hat we didn't, and that we can all post here seriously about us being in the market to sign current All Blacks to play at our state of the art 27000 seater stadium is ENTIRELY down to Steve Lansdown. Without him we would all be supporting a historic but entirely irrelevant club who last won a competition of real value in 1983. Others have mentioned that he is a City fan first and foremost as though this negates his investment- for me it is entirely the reverse. The fact that his first love is football and that he has STILL invested millions in this club makes him the bigger man in my eyes, not the lesser.
I have supported this club man and boy for close to 50 years. I loved the Men, and the traditions and the atmosphere as much as any who post here. But it isn't 1888 any longer. If we are going to compete at the highest level, it takes a huge amount of money that at present is only going to come from our current benefactor. He OWNS the club, and he isn't a charity. At some point he is going to look for it to become more self sustaining than it currently is, or eventually his interest is going to wane and it will be "Hello Nat 1" again.
I don't know how the rebranding will help achieve this. The Bristol Bears seems a bit silly to me, and it's hard for me to see how this will enable us to thrive. But between me and Steve Lansdown , one of us is a successful billiionaire businessman and one of us......isn't. So I'm prepared to concede he might know more than I do, however daft it may sound.
You don't have to shout for the Bears any more than I ever heard anyone at the Mem yell on the Shoguns. Bris will be Bris regardless of the logo on the shirts . I defer to no one I terms of my love and respect for the heritage of this club. But we are a professional club in a professional game and there is no going back however nostalgic we might get for wet and cold nights at the Mem going hell for leather against Pontypool or Leicester or whoever. I would genuinely like to see us compete at top level again, and I can't see us doing it without our current owner. We seem to have accepted his wishes without complaint when it involved pumping money in and trying to turn us into winners, so my view is that I probably have to suck up being the Bears and a splash of red on the shirt as the price for not being the next Orrel or London Welsh
I'm not mocking or denigrating those who feel differently, and if it all goes belly up over the next few years and we fail to thrive or even survive in the Prem, again then we can all grouse and grumble and say what a terrible mistake it all was. But for now, we seem to have a decent man who wants the team (and the city ) to thrive and go back to being a genuinely great club, and if his price is that we mix red in our shirts and adopt a nickname is it so truly awful? Are we really, REALLY going to stop supporting the club over it? I am not prepared to.
Onwards and upwards boys.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2018 21:36 by Prodigalson.

CF_Doom (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:15
Why bring up who's viewed your tweet? That's strange.

And I was speaking about the meltdown in general about the rebranding, hence the new paragraph.

----------- line break----------

I'm looking forward to next season, and what ever the outcome I won't blame it on name change, because that would be ludicrous.

Since 1888 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:18
Well for what itís worth after reflection Iím still going to be buying a season card tomorrow with a first for my 4 year old son, Iím still madly passionate about my club and I donít hate the rebrand, weíve done it before as have many others so letís suck it and see and get behind the club.

They arenít doing this to spite us long time supporters or our tradition but trying to build something new which will set us apart. Iím feeling optimistic that this is our dawn, our rebirth and our future. Climb on board and letís enjoy the ride!

Rich. (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:24
We all want the same thing - a successful Bristol rugby team. I don't think this re-branding will help that one bit. Now if the situation was that Steve said he no longer wished to fund the club by himself and Tesco came along and said they would give the club £2 million a year for 10 years if we rebranded as Bristol Tesco, then I would say we have to do it.

My reasons for being against this are not really sentimental ones but are that it won't be any good commercially and yet will cause much unhappiness to many long-standing supporters and make us a bit of a laughing stock in the way that Shoguns did (and it did for those who weren't around the time)

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:29
Quote:
CF_Doom
Why bring up who's viewed your tweet? That's strange.

Context is important. Sure, less than 1% of our fanbase may post here but the words can be read by more. That's the general idea.

CF_Doom (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:54
Wow, ha ha!

Back to the thread, I'm liking the positivity on here, it's nice to read balanced comments from people of all ages, that's important, as it's all our club.

Taffyd (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 18:00
How can a rebranding make any difference to the results next year....results are the only thing that will bring in the fans and the sponsors! Should be spending that rebranding money and energy on getting in new players and coaches who have the experience to keep us in the Prem for a season or two then and only then can vanity projects like this be contemplated. I bet theyíll lose a lot in merchandise sales and on the turnstiles next year because of this. On top of every other change this is too much for me. Iíll still follow their results but for me itís just not the same club I knew and loved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2018 18:01 by Taffyd.

Beer1234 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 21:22
I found that once I calmed down after the initial reaction, got all the face palm. groaning and laughing at the foolishness of it out of my system and looked at the pdf again I've changed my mind.

The video is actually very good, the quotes are the sort of thing young people lap up and are relevant, the shirts with the hooped arms I think look more Bristol-y than many recent ones and quite decent shirts despite the red (anyone who thought there wouldn't be any red is living in a fantasy land).

Compared to the corporate dross I have to put up with at work, this is all high quality stuff.

I genuinely don't understand how this changes the past, or tarnishes cherished memories.

I've come to the conclusion it's good thing, something to be positive about, coupled with the changes to the match day experience it feels like rugby is no longer a second class citizen to football at Ashton Gate.

happyH (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 22:08
After a number of hours thinking about it iím With the beer.
The history will always be there for all of us but we have been stuck in the past and perhaps itís time for a new future.
Would rather have our badge on the shirt but hey ho at least the bear looks p155ed off

Like the away kit and will probably be first shirt since my Cabot-less one. Took 8 hours to in pick that logo

I understand the anger the bitterness etc but I feel pretty excited for our future

The theme can work ways and if weíre winning I actually look forward to some headlines such as
Bristol put their claws into B@rf

Yes it will cut both ways

Is it the right thing to do?
Time will tell
Still happy to be part of the journey though

Cmon BRISSS

Graham_U (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 17:40
Big Dave had it right, you need to manage change, anyone that has been through it in business knows how important that is. But BS management do this by dropping the biggest bombshell in years. Survival next season is so vital it needs everyone behind the team. Yet they have successfully managed to pi55 off a large proportion of the current support with no clear idea how this is going to provide the 10K+ needed to fill the ground in the Prem. Something like this should be a long term project with a clear route to the success needed to justify such a major disruption.

Its sounds the same half baked dream as those that were so keen that we all brought drums and other noise making instruments to the Ex match last year. I assume its really going to be the younger generation that its going to have any major +ve effect on. Personally I cringe with every mention of Bristol Bears, it just grates. It seems just another indication that this business is another step away from caring about the concerns and values of old rugby traditionalist like me, and that they will continue in that direction regardless. I fully expect them to agree to home matches in London or the USA just to "globalise the brand" at the cost of the local support.

This is so far away from the club I feel in love with when we move to the area, that felt so welcoming and inclusive unlike our trips to Barf who were winning everything and a lot closer. I certainly have no desire for any merchandise without the proper Bristol crest on it.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Channel2 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 17:50
[quote Rinkadink]![/quote]
It's realistic.

Nobody in the rugby world outside the club thinks we are anything other than relegation/yoyo fodder and they're not wrong, as it stands. It's a huge task to keep us up, never mind consistently beat Exeter, Toulon, Leinster, etc when it really matters.[/quote]

Highly realistic based upon what we have in place right now.Of course if that does happen then all those new fans in their furry hats will @#$%& off and leave the 7000 diehards
The job is done, rebrand is happening. I accept it is happening, but what a crappy name, devised it appears by Mr Ego himself.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net