Untitled Document

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Re: Time For a Change
AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:17
Quote:
airdog
its just that yours are totally disrespectful to people that have been following the club certainly in my case for a lot longer than you .

Doggy, its a red hue in the bottom half of a rugby shirt, and a slight addendum to the name. The team is still located in, and representing, the city of Bristol.

Nobody has died as the result of these changes (i assume....i wasn't part of the re-branding process, so cant say for sure).

If i am being glib about the reaction, it's because it's a massive OVER-reaction.

Rich. (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:22
But it's NOT a slight addendum - look at the emblem it is very small Bristol and huge Bears. The club will try to market us as simply the Bears; either trying immediately or doing it gradually.

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:23
No no Rich. Obviously we can trust them not to do that because SL respects our traditions.

Motherrucker1982 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:24
I think we need to just calm down a bit and not resort to name-calling. It has happened - is it a good idea? Debatable. Will it bring success? Again, debatable. It is what it is. If people donít like it and choose to sever ties with the club formally known as Bristol Rugby, then thatís up to them. Iím not sold on the idea but I love Bristol and have done for 40+ years and will continue to do so. I survived ĎShowgirlsí and Iím sure I can survive the ĎBearsí.
I like the shirts although wouldíve preferred entire hoops. Oh well. At least we still exist (to some extent....)
Címon The Bears winking smiley

Rich. (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:30
But the choice was not between extinction and being called Bristol BEARS. If it had have been then I'd be accepting. If I could see it would help the club bring in many new fans or a lot of money I'd be accepting. But I see this as a poor idea, poorly thought through that will not help a bit but which has and will alienate people and cause money to be spent on new branded material. Basically giving the marketing people more work and seemingly justifying their existence.

expectingrain (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:33
If this forum had been here when Advertising Logos started to be plastered all over the sacred Hooped Shirts I dread to think the froth that some would be getting themselves into. Burning Season Tickets, swearing that they would sacrifice their first born before they'd walk through the hallowed gates again, and we'd be on page 230 by now. Some perspective guys change happens, it's a fact of life and not all change is bad you know.

inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:34
I agree. Stop moaning, move forward and embrace it.

It's a very smart looking kit and we're playing Premiership rugby in a fantastic stadium with what looks to be a decent set of players. Rugby at the top level needs a kick up the whatsit, so maybe this is it.

If ring-fencing is introduced at the same time, even better.

Jeez!

Olly (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:35
Think I can now say I feel like Iím now a customer of Bristol sport rather than a supporter of Bristol rugby club.

My glass is again full now bring on the rugby.

Chet Ripley (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:43
Quote:
hooker 72
Iíve been on this forum for years, so Iíll second this thread. This clubs history on the whole has been one of failure on the field, false dawns, financial mistakes, running of the club by various clowns, flirting with going out of existence, we havenít been a sleeping giant and we have become a joke with our constant failings, so I think a refresh, reset and being dragged into a bright new dawn is long overdue. I havenít posted on here for ages due to the general vibe on here, but I feel strongly now is the time to wash out the failed mediocre past and look forward, bears with red on our shirt lifting the prem and champions cup trophies in time......Amen

Couldnít agree more. Really excited. New era

Big Dave (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:49
I think the anger in this thread and elsewhere could have been avoided if the club had approached this in a different way. I am not against new designs, blah blah, nor rebranding (Bristol Rugby is not Bristol FC) and I have positively welcomed the move to Bristol Sport and Ashton Gate from the off. I despaired at decades of mismanagement. But you need to manage change.

Whether by accident or competence this announcement has alienated and upset a lot of fans. I think that need not have been the case. For instance, the end of anything resembling a Bristol coloured shirt does feel like a rejection of the club's whole history to many for whom that has been the epitome of Bristol Rugby and a big part of who they are. Sticking with those colours might have been a way of showing we are moving on but not rejecting everything we have been in the past (a past that has much more to be proud of then some people seem willing to accept). I can understand why people who have invested emotion and money in the club over years and perhaps generations are hurt by that. The club could have handled this better.

They could also have handled the announcement far better. Whether they were bounced by a leak or if announcing it out of the blue was the plan all along I am sure it could have been done in a way that brought people with it. Consult the supporters groups. Set out a rationale. Test the name. Reassure that the baby would not be thrown out with the bathwater. This big bang approach might get the inevitable bad press out of the way but it has clearly upset a fair few.

Change happens but how it happens matters too. For me, this could have been done better.

At the very least emotions would not have run so high and threads like this could have been avoided.

And it's emotions that matter. I follow Bristol because I am a Bristolian and that matters to me. We don't want to get stuck and we have to adapt and change to move forward but how you manage that transition matters - and the experience of the last 24 hours suggests this one has not been managed well.

hooter (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:49
I will always be a supporter of bristol rugby football club and unfortunately a customer of bristol sport. I think the shirt designs are ok, spoiled by not having the club crest on. If any body works out how to get a crest printed or sewn over the top of the bear they have a customer here.

Brizzler (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:54
Quote:
bartman!
We can just give every other team a big hug (Sm22)

You mean a 'bear' hug

CF_Doom (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:02
Quote:
Too Many Blackthorns
Couldn't agree more Hooker 72.
I've been registered on this board since before the days of Chilly Mick and his "Hilly knows best" posts, but haven't posted in ages simply because the general vibe on here is so curmudgeonly that better chat is available on other boards. Besides, the gene-pool here is almost at self extermination levels anyway!

I absolutely love this rebrand! It's club-led and not sponsor-led, which is a big difference from the Shogun era in that it's set more long term and not until the three year deal is up. The future mindset is clearly there with the Club in that it's setting the pace and not trying to simply keep up with the other teams that embraced the pro era so much better than we did.

Together We Rise!

Spot on.

I'm a progressive, banging on about the past doesn't do the club any favours, the club now have actual higher ambitions then the rest of the Prem clubs, that's exciting, we should all be excited?

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:07
Quote:
hooker 72
Iíve been on this forum for years, so Iíll second this thread. This clubs history on the whole has been one of failure on the field, false dawns, financial mistakes, running of the club by various clowns, flirting with going out of existence, we havenít been a sleeping giant and we have become a joke with our constant failings, so I think a refresh, reset and being dragged into a bright new dawn is long overdue. I havenít posted on here for ages due to the general vibe on here, but I feel strongly now is the time to wash out the failed mediocre past and look forward, bears with red on our shirt lifting the prem and champions cup trophies in time......Amen

And when we get relegated again or at best, 11th... will you be singing the same tune?

BigO (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:14
I'm on the fence a bit here, but am trying hard to positively embrace the thinking behind why this is has happened, and the timing. The world is changing, and we've got to change with it, or risk withering on the vine for another ten + years.

A fresh start is needed. Listen to what SL says about it, and nobody in their right mind could argue with his logic and passion. You've got to admire his vision - it's been a long time since we've had someone at the helm like that, who will actually make things happen. We are bloody lucky.

Yes, the logo looks a bit dodgy, the name is questionable and the blue & white stripes on the kit leave a bit to be desired - but underneath that there's lots to get excited about for the future.

As long as SL & PL can deliver long term success on the pitch, that is all that really matters. Respecting your history is important, but sometimes evolution has to come.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2018 16:19 by BigO.

hooter (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:18
ďEvolutionĒ , more baby and bath water comes to mind!

CF_Doom (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:18
Quote:
Rinkadink
Quote:
hooker 72

And when we get relegated again or at best, 11th... will you be singing the same tune?

When we get relegated..... that's not very positive?!

Rich. (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:19
Quote:
Olly
Think I can now say I feel like Iím now a customer of Bristol sport rather than a supporter of Bristol rugby club.

I don't!! If I was a customer I would expect the club to check if the change is something that I would like and whether it was something a potential customers would also like.

hooker 72 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:21
Rinkadink, Iím a positive, forward thinking not scared of change chap, so if the worst happens Iíll still positive.

Rich. (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:25
Evolution supposedly has happened because there has been a need. Where is the need for us to become the Bears?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net