rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Bears v Tradition
Neale Harvey (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:53
Purely a personal view - and I'm entitled to one as I've reported on Bristol since 2002 for Rugby Times, Rugby Paper and the Sunday Independent - but if Steve Lansdowne wants a rebrand, so what?

Would he do it for City? Probably not. But then City weren't a club going nowhere six years ago at the Mem in front of 4,000 people... or worse, going bust.

It's all about results now. If Bristol bomb next season and go straight back down again, you can throw all the marketing at it you like and it'll mean Jack.

Lansdowne has earned the right to try. Bristol will still be Bristol.

Re: Bears v Tradition
Channel2 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:24
Quote:
Neale Harvey
Purely a personal view - and I'm entitled to one as I've reported on Bristol since 2002 for Rugby Times, Rugby Paper and the Sunday Independent - but if Steve Lansdowne wants a rebrand, so what?
Would he do it for City? Probably not. But then City weren't a club going nowhere six years ago at the Mem in front of 4,000 people... or worse, going bust.

It's all about results now. If Bristol bomb next season and go straight back down again, you can throw all the marketing at it you like and it'll mean Jack.

So... By dint of being a billionaire and accordingly dropping relatively loose change into the rugby club Mr Lansdown has earned the right to do whatever he wants. OK I understand your point of view. A few questions if I may though, because as a professional in the sport, you are clearly better informed by me or the vast majority of posters on here:

1- Who amongst the fanbase were consulted, as I believe has been stated? I am certain no consultation occurred over the act of branding, but what absolute plum considered "Bears" as relevant to Bristol? Also, as has been pointed out on the football forum, Bear is a highly negative term in financial markets which Lansdown should be aware of, and the "Bear Pit" which someone has suggested will be how the south stand is branded during matches is of course a place where noble animals from whom we take our new name were routinely humiliated tortured and ultimately killed.Very thoughtful that.The bear Pit is also one of the biggest eyesores in this fair city incidentally.

2- What does this branding actually achieve? Success, or even mid table mediocracy this coming season will see crowds swell and the coffers likewise, so i'm at a loss to understand why this has happened, unless it is to appease the new Yank sponsors. If so, then please let the fans know and put a lid on this.

3- Lastly, Where in your opinion does Mr Lansdown's right to do as he wishes go beyond the pale? All red home kit is surely on the cards. Playing games abroad means the city of origin will be considered less important to the new "customers" elsewhere, so what if the "Bristol" was done away with, I mean we are the Bears now right, so has he earned the right to do that also?

Long term fans will refer to the club as Bristol, but new ones won't. Exeter are called Chiefs by many , Sale as Sharks etc so the club identity will certainly be eroded over time.

Nothing Bristol Sport does surprises me, but you must be aware that despite his billions, Mr Lansdown has yet to get anything right in a sporting sense. Why? Because he surrounds himself with chancers and yes men (Pat Lam excepted)This sounds yet another gaffe by BS, for which our ruler must take responsibility.Many will like the branding, many won't and BS will claim the inevitable gate increases and revenue are solely down to it.We are stuck with it, so get used to it . I won't go, but i'll be no loss, and nor will the other dinosaurs who think Bristol should be called Bristol, and play in navy and white..

16 April, 2018 16:39
Oh get over yourself! This isn’t Steve Lansdown rebranding; Gloucester Lions?, Exeter Athletics? Bath...Time? (sponsored by Rolex?).
The real person to blame for all this bear malarkey is Phil ‘Grizzley’ Adams. That where the association with bears started...but I’m not going to say that to his face!!

Taffyd (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:50
Well said channel2

Cidered Abroad (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:53
Well said Channel 2. Amazing that Mr Harvey says Bris were a club going nowhere so it's alright to rebrand us as Bears.
Well City have been going nowhere since I started in 1950, except for four years in the 70's. So what should they be renamed as? Bristol City Nil FC!
But these clubs belong to the supporters and not the current moneybags who claims ownership. Both clubs and even include the Gas, have been here for a longer time than any "owner" will live for. They belong to us, the citizens of Bristol.

Knowle Blue (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:57
Any opinion a voiced by a journalist, is instantly invalid in an opinion I thave most definitely have earned the right to express.
However wether we fans like it or not is now a mute point, as its happening, I would even venture as a second opinion that no matter what, the majority of us will still support the team. We probably won’t shout “c’mon Bear’s” as no one shouted “c’mon Shoguns”
How soon the joy of our promotion seems to have faded.

Neale Harvey (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:59
Quote:
Channel2
Quote:
Neale Harvey

It's all about results now. If Bristol bomb next season and go straight back down again, you can throw all the marketing at it you like and it'll mean Jack. the

So... By dint of being a billionaire and accordingly dropping relatively loose change into the rugby club Mr Lansdown has earned the right to do whatever he wants. OK I understand your point of view. A few questions if I may though, because as a professional in the sport, you are clearly better informed by me or the vast majority of posters on here:

1- Who amongst the fanbase were consulted, as I believe has been stated? I am certain no consultation occurred over the act of branding, but what absolute plum considered "Bears" as relevant to Bristol? Also, as has been pointed out on the football forum, Bear is a highly negative term in financial markets which Lansdown should be aware of, and the "Bear Pit" which someone has suggested will be how the south stand is branded during matches is of course a place where noble animals from whom we take our new name were routinely humiliated tortured and ultimately killed.Very thoughtful that.The bear Pit is also one of the biggest eyesores in this fair city incidentally.

2- What does this branding actually achieve? Success, or even mid table mediocracy this coming season will see crowds swell and the coffers likewise, so i'm at a loss to understand why this has happened, unless it is to appease the new Yank sponsors. If so, then please let the fans know and put a lid on this.

3- Lastly, Where in your opinion does Mr Lansdown's right to do as he wishes go beyond the pale? All red home kit is surely on the cards. Playing games abroad means the city of origin will be considered less important to the new "customers" elsewhere, so what if the "Bristol" was done away with, I mean we are the Bears now right, so has he earned the right to do that also?

Long term fans will refer to the club as Bristol, but new ones won't. Exeter are called Chiefs by many , Sale as Sharks etc so the club identity will certainly be eroded over time.

Nothing Bristol Sport does surprises me, but you must be aware that despite his billions, Mr Lansdown has yet to get anything right in a sporting sense. Why? Because he surrounds himself with chancers and yes men (Pat Lam excepted)This sounds yet another gaffe by BS, for which our ruler must take responsibility.Many will like the branding, many won't and BS will claim the inevitable gate increases and revenue are solely down to it.We are stuck with it, so get used to it . I won't go, but i'll be no loss, and nor will the other dinosaurs who think Bristol should be called Bristol, and play in navy and white..

It's all irrelevant. Wasps are now Wasps playing good rugby in Coventry... attracting double, often treble the crowds they did in London or Wycombe.

Whether Bristol are called Bears, Beavers or Browns, it will all boil down to results. If they're successful, people will come.

Bris Bob (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:01
Or nicely packaged up to franchise (Wasps were of course from Coventry wern't they)

Bristol-Supporter (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:05
Neale - I'm totally with you on this!

Rich. (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:06
Neale - you say 'Whether Bristol are called Bears, Beavers or Browns, it will all boil down to results. If they're successful, people will come.' - if success (or not) has nothing to do with the name then why put everyone through this? I don't think it will bring success on the pitch and I don't think it will bring in money either so ........

Guildford Saint (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:14
New academy partner potential here!
[www.buildabear.co.uk]

chuckynut (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:18
Quote:
Rich.
Neale - you say 'Whether Bristol are called Bears, Beavers or Browns, it will all boil down to results. If they're successful, people will come.' - if success (or not) has nothing to do with the name then why put everyone through this? I don't think it will bring success on the pitch and I don't think it will bring in money either so ........

Presumably it has brought a load of money in ..... from SL to pay for the re-brand and the PR which will go with it. We will find out soon enough whether this will result in more bums on seats next season or not.

Seems to me there are 2 ways people are able to fund top level sport: find a billionaire or increase revenue by building a brand. Seems like our billionaire is saying we can have his money for a bit longer but we are going to need to build a brand which can get crowds of 20K plus and generate some income. You may not like the brand he's come up with but think its much harder to argue with the principle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2018 17:26 by chuckynut.

Neale Harvey (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:20
Quote:
Rich.

If it fails, it fails. Either way, Bristol can't be in a worse position than they were seven years ago... which was next to extinction. I've heard so many of these debates over the years... if Bristol win on a regular basis and threaten the top four there'll be 20,000-plus at Ashton Gate. If they get relegated again next season, turn the lights out and stay in the lower leagues. It's as stark as that really.

bris_rob (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:20
Quote:
Whether Bristol are called Bears, Beavers or Browns, it will all boil down to results. If they're successful, people will come.
Exactly. No need for a name change then and all the associated costs that go with rebranding.

Channel2 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:24
Quote:
Rich.

Quite so Rich and I said as much in my lengthy (sorry) post above. If a silly name is a condition of massive sponsorship for the league then say so but for goodness sake come up with a name with some relevance.
Lansdiowns idea I believe.

Saintsby (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:31
Aww guys you will still be Brizzle to me I have enjoyed a few good trips down to the Mem when you were in the prem for a sizeable time. Bristol is a natural rugby town, take the money take the on the new name there is gold in them thar USA hills for us all.

And just to share the humour I did like this from
Quote:
Marching on on Saints board
The Bristol fans aren't happy with "The Bears" new kit - apparently warming up in leather is a step too far.
Good luck you will be very welcome back. Cmom Briss!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2018 17:33 by Bob Stainsby.

Booy Oh Boy (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 21:47
Q&A with Steve Lansdown:

So, Steve, do you know what gets bums on seats in a rugby stadium?

Bears?

No, Steve, not bears, a good team, playing attractive rugby. Let’s try another question: Do you know what makes for a winning rugby team?

I'm going to go for... bears!

No, no - it's good players who are well coached. Unless, that is, you know something we don't and a rule change means having a stupid name gives you a ten point start.

Well, that's definitely bears.

I didn't ask you a question, Steve.

Well, that's something for us to get our teeth stuck into (laughs to self).

Steve, that literally makes no sense.

Together we rise as bears building rugby Bristolian success through bears.

Right, Steve, I'm off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2018 21:54 by Booy Oh Boy.

Field marshall (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 22:17
I like that black shirt. If it had the crest, I may have replaced my old shirt with Bass on the front!
I wonder if an enterprising soul might decide to produce some embroidered bristol badges?....

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 22:47
Quote:
Booy Oh Boy
Q&A with Steve Lansdown:
So, Steve, do you know what gets bums on seats in a rugby stadium?

Bears?

No, Steve, not bears, a good team, playing attractive rugby. Let’s try another question: Do you know what makes for a winning rugby team?

I'm going to go for... bears!

No, no - it's good players who are well coached. Unless, that is, you know something we don't and a rule change means having a stupid name gives you a ten point start.

Well, that's definitely bears.

I didn't ask you a question, Steve.

Well, that's something for us to get our teeth stuck into (laughs to self).

Steve, that literally makes no sense.

Together we rise as bears building rugby Bristolian success through bears.

Right, Steve, I'm off.

Haha. Seriously though, there isn't a Bristol Rugby any more in his eyes and barely a Bristol with multiple references to "The Bears";

[SL]that is what we are going to be going forward and the Bears are going to take from where we are now to where we want to be.

And not much in the way of blue and white hoops?
"This is all down to design and focus, who knows if it will be more striped in the future than what they are now? The shirts have been designed to give us a new identity and a new focus.

"Some people will like it and some people won’t but we are a brand new rugby club now by becoming the Bristol Bears and the Bears will take us forward. "

[www.google.co.uk]

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 22:49
Take note of "Brand new rugby club"... RIP Bristol RFC 1888 - 2018

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net