Untitled Document

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Re: Bears v Tradition
Brizzler (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 09:45
Quote:
Neale Harvey
Would he do it for City? Probably not. But then City weren't a club going nowhere six years ago at the Mem in front of 4,000 people... or worse, going bust.

Much like SL you seem to be ignoring the fact that at that same ground under the same name we had sell out crowds and even some minor successes (Prem play-offs, beating Stade).

Whilst I'm not disputing his money didn't keep this club afloat, we thank him for that, but to say under 'Bristol Rugby' we were not successful is a massive understatement.

What about the guys who stayed with the club, took pay cuts etc to ensure he had a team to pay? And they even won some silverware under a home grown long serving captain Grieve. They're the real saviours but only SL and his money seem to get remembered!!

If being called The Bears guarantees us a Prem title then great, sadly it won't and it'll come down to the same aspects any team needs to achieve regardless of name.

The name does not bring success, the people do.

Cidered Abroad (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 10:51
Quote:
Guildford Saint
New academy partner potential here!
[www.buildabear.co.uk]

How about this one for a partnership?

[www.bristolbears.co.uk]

Furnessman (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 13:19
nothing new this was approx. 15 years ago Bristol Shoguns?.......thinking about this further quite like the thought of Beavers?

Furriner (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 17:30
If things go badly for us next season it won’t be too difficult tweaking the name to

Bristol Bereft.

I do hope not though.

Earlsbris (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 18:01
Not opposed to freshening things up and rationale is sensible. My issue is that this is not a ‘rebrand’, it is a ‘replace’.

There is no incorporation of our past and our crest has been removed from the shirt. The only nod to history is the letters incorporated into the shirt number (which I like).

If they built on our brand with a new bears nickname I wouldn’t mind so much but this doesn’t feel like our club. This could be solved by toning down the bears branding and incorporating the badge somewhere on the kit alongside Bristol RFC - however small

Also ‘Bristol Bulls’ has a better ring to it if they had to use an alliterative corporate moniker

Field marshall (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 19:59
Now the dust has settled somewhat, I'm on board. I don't like it, and i especially sad that we have lost the club badge but the club is Lansdownes asset and if he wants bears, he feckin gets bears, regardless of what us fans think.
I still think its a missed opportunity. We should have been the badgers!
think about it;
Badgers have stripes; WE HAVE STRIPES! Well hoops, used to.
Badgers got murdered in 2016; WE GOT MURDERED IN 2016!
Badgers make beer; WE LOVE BEER!
I also read in the big bumper book of animals (somewhere near the back I think) that Badgers do not partake in large over friendly same-sex gatherings in coastal locations. But they are very supportive of the LGBT community.

EverOptimistic (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 20:36
Quote:
Field marshall
Now the dust has settled somewhat, I'm on board. I don't like it, and i especially sad that we have lost the club badge but the club is Lansdownes asset and if he wants bears, he feckin gets bears, regardless of what us fans think.

+1

Agree with all of this

#embracethebears

bris_rob (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 07:28
I'll support Bristol through thick and thin – always have done and I have already renewed my 2 season cards.

But, I am sitting here wearing a plain navy blue t-shirt with the Bristol Rugby crest on it. I feels me with PRIDE because I know that Bristol are the best and have the most loyal and passionate fans.

My son was lucky enough to play for the Bristol Academy at u15 & u 16. It was the PROUDEST moment when he had the blue & white hoops on with the Bristol crest on his chest. He was representing the Club, City and history, culture of the great club and all the great players who have worn the colours.

PRIDE – I can say with certainty that I will never, ever have these same emotions while there is a bear on the shirt.

Hope to see you all at Hartpury and in the new season!

C'mon Bris!

Brizzler (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 09:53
Quote:
Field marshall
I still think its a missed opportunity. We should have been the badgers!
think about it;
Badgers have stripes; WE HAVE STRIPES! Well hoops, used to.
Badgers got murdered in 2016; WE GOT MURDERED IN 2016!
Badgers make beer; WE LOVE BEER!
I also read in the big bumper book of animals (somewhere near the back I think) that Badgers do not partake in large over friendly same-sex gatherings in coastal locations. But they are very supportive of the LGBT community.

Great idea but Badgers already taken by a local baseball team, although I doubt club would have noticed anyway...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/04/2018 09:53 by Brizzler.

youngone (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 10:18
SURELY they will incorporate the coat of arms on to the shirt somewhere after the Q and A where undoubtedly they will gain an understanding that almost all of their current fan base dislike that aspect of the kit.

And as i have read elsewhere, that is the cities coat of arms which the team still represents so i don't see how it would be contrary to the re brand to incorporate it in some way.

KJS (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 10:47
Mark Tainton was on Radio Bristol with Pat last night and was adamant that the crest will not be on the kit anywhere, it would be maintained in the clubhouse with the other history of the club, but wasn't the symbol of the club going forward.

Whagwan (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 10:55
TBF it wasn't something I was aware of but someone posted a load of pics from our hayday in the supporters group and there was not a crest in sight. (all in blue and white hoops though.)

Personally I'd like the crest as the connection to the history, but it's not a hill I'm prepared to die on...

hooter (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 11:21
Will they be changing the name of this board to reflect are new look?

Peter D (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 12:34
The further back you go the fewer badges you will see on the kit. It is a relatively recent phenomenon. The doesn't mean that it has no meaning or value.

Furnessman (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 13:24
Bristol Headless Chickens???

TimothyQ (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 14:56
I think a lot depends on how you came to know the club. Because of the time when I started watching Bristol, to me they are and always will be the Bristol Shoguns, as I’m sure they will now be the bears to a new generation of supporters. I really don’t see the big deal.

Taffyd (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 15:33
Correct....the death of a great rugby club and the birth of a franchise vanity project! The lunatics have taken over the asylum!

Jim H (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 15:41
[quote Taffyd]
Correct....the death of a great rugby club and the birth of a franchise vanity project![/quote]

You're talking about the Shoguns here right?

[quote Taffyd]
The lunatics have taken over the asylum![/quote]
[/quote]

Given Bristol's performance (on and off the pitch) over the professional period the lunatics have always ran it.

Taffyd (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 15:44
The Shoguns wasn’t very successful so I know, let’s try it again with an even stupider moniker!

TimothyQ (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 16:48
Just give it a rest and get behind the bears. No one will no moaning when we crush the premiership beneath our mighty paws.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net