rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Question to Mr .Lansdown
airdog (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:54
so if turning your back on over a hundred years of tradition and history and giving a team a daft meaningless name is you think going to make a team more successful then why not try it with your football team . They after all have never achieved anything much , one appearance in an F.A.cup final ( it was 1909 and they lost ) a few England internationals the last I think over 50 years ago and a couple of seasons in the top flight .
To answer my own question the reason you will not do it is you would not dare as the fans would not stand for it whereas us rugby types are no doubt seen as too nice to make a fuss .

Re: Question to Mr .Lansdown
bennystoon (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:03
Anyone out there Ready willing and able to take on the Bristol Rugby or RFC name and start an amateur team?

Taffyd (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:07
Well said!!
He implies that our failure in the Prem last season was because we were stuck in the dark ages, not the fact that they didnít invest and recruit players and coaches to be able to take on the challenge! This is just a vanity project.

Downleaze (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:13
I wonder how many Season Ticket Holders will not renew because of the name change, you cannot wipe away tradition since 1888.

Since 1888 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:20
Iím not trying to wipe anything, thanks Downleaze!
(Well other than some dodgy pics on my hard drive)

Channel2 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:31
Quote:
airdog
so if turning your back on over a hundred years of tradition and history and giving a team a daft meaningless name is you think going to make a team more successful then why not try it with your football team . They after all have never achieved anything much , one appearance in an F.A.cup final ( it was 1909 and they lost ) a few England internationals the last I think over 50 years ago and a couple of seasons in the top flight .
To answer my own question the reason you will not do it is you would not dare as the fans would not stand for it whereas us rugby types are no doubt seen as too nice to make a fuss .

Actually airdog, I don't think the football league would allow it. The owner of Hull City tried to change them to Hull Tigers, which is actually their historic nickname. The fans didn't like it, the EFL didn't like it so it didn't happen.

Cidered Abroad (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 20:32
Quote:
airdog

I agree with you Airdog in that it seems to be a meaningless rebranding designed to fulfil SL ego, IMO.

But if there is one consolation for Bristol supporters, it is that he has recruited a Head Coach with good experience, who has won something and is well thought of in rugby circles.

Whereas at City he has someone who has little experience or achievements and who has produced a boom & bust season at three clubs in four years.

At least Bris are going to the High table to feast while our football club has only been there four years in the last one hundred and ten.

sbu (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 20:49
I am not getting season ticket based on this Silly idea that a name change and badge change is progression.

sbu (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 20:49
I am not getting season ticket based on this Silly idea that a name change and badge change is progression.

sbu (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 20:51

Hoopsy (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 21:29
Away games for me ... in my Bristol Rugby shirt. I have no desire to sit in the Bear Pit and singing the star Spangled banner before kick off. Americanisation destined to fail !!

Penfold (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 21:37
The arrogance of uncountable wealth. It takes daft to a whole new level.

inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 22:05
Quote:
sbu

How pathetic.

Albertfromla (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 09:11
sbu I very much doubt you will be missed

Bristol-Supporter (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 09:19
Quote:
Penfold
The arrogance of uncountable wealth. It takes daft to a whole new level.

If he didn't use his 'uncountable wealth' - we WOULDN'T HAVE a Bristol Rugby Club! Remember that before you start biting the hand that feeds you!!!!!!

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 09:40
Quote:
inatthebreakdown
Quote:
sbu

How pathetic.

+1 .... churlish in the extreme.

Furriner (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 09:57
Canít say I like the change in name, but I can live with it. Itís nowhere near as bad as Shoguns, and it could have been worse (Badgers comes to mind, and there really is a local-ish connection there!)

The same goes for the shirts. Iíll learn to live with the home one Iím sure, although why weíre choosing to use an old Exeter/Newcastle kit for the away strip is puzzling. Hey ho.

Ah yes, my question to Mr Lansdown: have you remembered to put a rocket under the folk responsible for merchandising the new stuff? Itíd be a shame to head into the brave new world allied to the shambles that usually accompanies new seasonsí wares. Please.

Arjay (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 10:37
Quote:
AlexInSouthville
Quote:
inatthebreakdown
Quote:
sbu

How pathetic.

+1 .... churlish in the extreme.

Cutting off your nose to spite your face , comes to mind.

gaudi (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 10:41
Iíve previously said I donít like the name, but some of the offensive posts herein make me wonder about the thinking employed here loads of passion, but thatís about it!

Iím happy to believe that there is some valuable business knowledge/nouse/acumen prevailing to be part of the creation of a local business providing identity, a contribution to the local economy through employment, etc etc (and I mean Hargreaves Lansdown).

If that knowledge and experience is then put to use in creating a sports club with world wide aspirations then itís all good to me. It may vary from the thinking of some of us but making a decision to do something bold is better than continuing with the same old same old stuff with a history of failure.

Donít know who said it, buts its paraphrased often enough - definition of insanity being continuing to repeat the same thing expecting a different outcome.

hooter (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 11:29
All this rubbish about SL spending his vast fortune on Bristol Rugby, itís small change to what he spends supporting city in the division theyíve been stuck in for years!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net