rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Club Marketing & Vision
shhandy (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 06:41
I was initially taken aback with the rebranding, but after thinking it through the idea, if not the name, is growing on me. We have done it before for money, i’ve Still got a shoguns fleece, this is a subtler change.

Rugby is slowly becoming a world sport, at present 7s is doing most of the spadework, but the 15 man game is moving too. China has taken prem rights & starting to play the game widely, games being played in the US & European teams rising. Who would have thought ten years ago that Japan would be hosting the World Cup. Make no mistake other sports are doing the same, note the ability of NFL teams to fill wembley, most of the fans being pretty young. We need to compete for these fans.

We’ve got to expand our appeal, both locally and internationally. This I think is just a start. Bears are a ‘lucky aninal’ In China by the way. 🐨. Onwards & upwards.

Re: Club Marketing & Vision
Bristol-Supporter (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 06:52
shhandy - nice touch of measured thought compared to 'never buying a season ticket again' brigade!

Singapore Sam (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 06:56
Sorry disagree most of what you say, rugby is very much a miniscule interest sport in China and outside of certain pockets, PRC Army (interestingly) and a few schools/universities is generally not even heard off. As for a bear being a lucky animal in China, any bears in China can consider themselves very unlucky because they are widely abused and their bile is removed in a most reprehensible manner and used in Traditional Chinese Medicine.

shhandy (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 07:40
Sing Sam ~ anyone who has worked in China knows they often have contradictory attitudes to their animals. Bears/lions/ tigers lucky one minute & dried in medicine shop the next. Either way a prominent animal in the culture.

I agree it is small beer as a sport at mo and nothing will break the hegemony of the round ball game, but even a small percentage of 1.4bn is worth having. Any interest is likely to be in the cities, of which there are are a staggering number over 1m population ~ I see Shanghai has just announced the richest ever 7s tournament.

Either way with few if any prem sides making a profit I understand the attempt to raise profile. We cannot support our ambitions on crowds of 8k, lansdown is mortal & we wld go bankrupt overnight if he withdrew. So here we go.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 18:05
But based on last year we would get more like 12-13K in the prem, and probably more given the Pat Lam effect and if we can perform, which is as good as most. Crowds have improved a lot since the move, and only success will really fill that massive stadium as there is no risk of not getting a ticket which allows people to pick and choose.

Personally I hate the idea of globalisation of a local club, we are a Bristol team playing in an English league. Most of that 13K won't make it to matches in China or the USA. So whilst it may be attractive to Sponsors it will have a negative effect on our local supporters.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 19:17
Quote:
Graham_U
But based on last year we would get more like 12-13K in the prem, and probably more given the Pat Lam effect and if we can perform, which is as good as most. Crowds have improved a lot since the move, and only success will really fill that massive stadium as there is no risk of not getting a ticket which allows people to pick and choose.
Personally I hate the idea of globalisation of a local club, we are a Bristol team playing in an English league. Most of that 13K won't make it to matches in China or the USA. So whilst it may be attractive to Sponsors it will have a negative effect on our local supporters.

A fair point, but it doesn’t seem to have done the Premiership (football) any harm....global fanbase, without losing any of the bite of derby games or games against the top teams

Portisteve (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 20:28
Well over 1000 renewals in the 1st day smashing the prev record of 501, so I’d say the marketing and expsoure works

Cidered Abroad (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 20:39
Quote:
Graham_U

Hear, hear. At least a £1,000 to get to a home game in US?
Forget it, they're taking the Xx xx!

Allthetimeref (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 21:43
Rule number one of marketing and brand naming...... Do your research... Which numpty chose the Bear name

[www.bristolbears.co.uk]

airdog (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 06:04
Steven Lansdown

AndyJB (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 08:00
Lansdown's idea but surely Tainton and Lam would have at least told him to keep the crest on the shirt. Or were they just pandaring to the boss

Singapore Sam (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 08:32
Many many moons ago when I worked in the local financial markets, it was widely held that Peter Hargreaves was the smart one!

Meerkats1970 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 08:39
There are maybe 5-6k that walk through the gates nearly every week and have done since the stone age. That represents nearly a quarter of the expected 27k that are going to fill the stadium. To rebrand and basically alienate most of those because you have done no consultation streaks of arrogance, simple as that. Just because someone has a load of money does not mean they are correct. from reading the threads no one is against change, but it comes down to losing the crest you lose the club and to have the Bristol Rugby Crest going forward is just the simplest thing ever and does not go against any of what they are trying to achieve.

I want to see Bristol v Bath, I'll be there but I wont be a bear.

Cooombsy (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 08:43
Quote:
Singapore Sam
Many many moons ago when I worked in the local financial markets, it was widely held that Peter Hargreaves was the smart one!

Certainly smart to not have invested/wasted so much money on sporting failure.

As with the City we are probably seeing the end of Lansdown's philanthropic approach; the stadium is built and each club now has to seek to be self-financing to a much greater extent. Whilst SL may still be our exiled owner, Jon is now the Chief Exec of Bristol Sport and is very much responsible for the overall direction of travel.

airdog (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 09:06
the crest to me is a minor detail its the stupid name and the ditching of the blue & white that has caused me to give up after about 63 years man and toddler .
The season card I was expecting to carry on using has been returned to them , I have un subscribed from the club message thing and have resigned from the supporters club not that there was anything they could have done to effect this .
Finally this is the last you will ever hear from me on here , news that will no doubt be welcome in some parts ......Southville for instance .

Whagwan (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 09:21
Quote:
Singapore Sam

Given he spent £3.2mil on Brexit campainging which went on to lose him £400mil in share value I'm not sure that's the case.

hooter (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 10:18
Perhaps he knows something that you don’t Whagwam, any way what’s 400 million when your that rich.

hooker 72 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 10:27
Airdog, I know passions run high in sport, but in the scheme of life this isn’t a biggie, and as much as being a Brizz supporter ages us all, it has given us great moments. So have a think as the only person who ll loose out is you, stick with the club my friend

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 10:33
Quote:
airdog
the crest to me is a minor detail its the stupid name and the ditching of the blue & white that has caused me to give up after about 63 years man and toddler .
The season card I was expecting to carry on using has been returned to them , I have un subscribed from the club message thing and have resigned from the supporters club not that there was anything they could have done to effect this .
Finally this is the last you will ever hear from me on here , news that will no doubt be welcome in some parts ......Southville for instance .

This makes me genuinely sad. Airdog won't be the only one either and it's not right. Could have all been avoided.

If you don't understand their response, fine. The toxicity expressed by some towards those who are unhappy with the change has been really unacceptable though I'm really surprised people want to tear the club apart more than the rebranding. Maybe it's because theoretical carrots have been dangled before them and they believe those who dislike or have reservations about the change are halting progress but that's not true; success will bring about the change we all wish to see, not much else. Well, aside from unity and respect... but I don't know where the latter has gone.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 11:15
Meerkat, your a bit-off if you think there have been 5-6K since the stone age. In the early league days at the Mem, 5K was a big crowd. In the relegation season before BS took over and piled in money if was more like 3-4 K norm. That why I say our increase in attendance under BS and the move to AG has been very good.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net