rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Prem Cup
Meerkats1970 (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 10:03
New for next season, replacing the Anglo Welsh

This is a development cup, another missed opportunity for me to cross the divide between the prem and the Championship.

the will to bring up the standard of the champ and provide at least some higher level of competition is just not there.

Re: Prem Cup
dpw (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 10:57
BBC report here...............

[www.bbc.co.uk]

and here.........

[www.bristolrugby.co.uk]

dpw

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2018 11:00 by dpw.

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 11:19
Quote:
Meerkats1970
New for next season, replacing the Anglo Welsh
This is a development cup, another missed opportunity for me to cross the divide between the prem and the Championship.

the will to bring up the standard of the champ and provide at least some higher level of competition is just not there.

Depends on whether the role of the Champ is to provide a pipeline of clubs, or a pipeline of players.

I have been surprised at just how many Champ players seem to have been signed by Prem teams for next season.

If it's the latter, it seems the Champ is doing the job intended

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 11:29
It has to be the latter, as there simply isn't interest in rugby in this country in order to support more than, at the very most, 14 fully professional clubs.

10 May, 2018 11:32
Odd that the press release suggests there will be a draw for the pools. I'd have thought that in order to accommodate Derby Day the pools would have to be pre-determined e.g. Bris, B**h, Glaws, Exe in one, Quins, Sarries, Wuss and Wasps in another, then Sale, Newc, Leicester and Northamption in the third.

Rich. (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 11:36
Quote:
Standardprocedure
Odd that the press release suggests there will be a draw for the pools. I'd have thought that in order to accommodate Derby Day the pools would have to be pre-determined e.g. Bris, B**h, Glaws, Exe in one, Quins, Sarries, Wuss and Wasps in another, then Sale, Newc, Leicester and Northamption in the third.

But that would make the pools unfair perhaps + they may feel derbies would be devalued by having two A teams playing against each other?

10 May, 2018 11:49
I imagine that that's what Prem Rugby will want - you can have A-team double headers in existing Prem venues (Ashton Gate, Ricoh Arena and Welford Road).

As someone else said on another thread, there's not enough room at Ashton Gate for a first-team westcountry double header; the demand for tickets would be far too high. But 27,000 seats is likely to be more than enough for four lots of fans to watch two A-team derbies.

Peter D (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 12:28
The format is not fully described. If there are four pool games - three will be against the teams in the pool and the fourth game will be the Derby game. If that's the case Bristol, Barf, Glos and Exe will be in different pools, as will Leicester, Wasps, Wuss and Saints and Sarries and Quins, Newcastle and Sale. The pools, I imagine will be one form each of those groups.

JamboBris (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 12:40
We better not end up as the token derby for Exeter. Similarly is Sale v Falcons really a derby?

Peter D (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 12:47
Quote:
JamboBris
Similarly is Sale v Falcons really a derby?

Of course it's not. But they'll call it a derby on BT Sport and on the Prem website. Neither Sale nor Newcastle have a derby. And unless the only criterion is geographical proximity neither do Worcester, Wasps, Exeter or (arguably) the recent upstarts from down the road.(Sm100)

Surely a rich history has to be a major criterion for a real derby game.

BigO (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 13:27
Not sure if I'm being a bit dim, but does this replace the A League then? (Sm54)

10 May, 2018 13:37
No, it replaces the Anglo-Welsh Cup, because the Welsh teams have withdrawn from that in order to have a home-grown U23s tournament

Meerkats1970 (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 13:42
Doesnt replace the A league.

So possibility of 2 x Bris v Bath in this cup if drawn in same pool

2 x A league Derbies

2 x Prem Derbies

at least we cant play them in europe.

You can have too many derbies, but then again alot of people wont know what it is all about.

hooter (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 13:42
It looks like the South African sides playing in the pro 14 want the right to play in the European cup as well which could upset the Celtic sides relegated to the challenge cup in future.

Furriner (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 18:01
Quote:
hooter
It looks like the South African sides playing in the pro 14 want the right to play in the European cup as well which could upset the Celtic sides relegated to the challenge cup in future.

That would be so stupid. But hang on, who’s that antipodean outfit in the European song contest??

SimonB (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 14:26
Whilst not fully explained how this will work my take would be: 3 pools of 4 to play 4 games including 1 local derby: so we play all 4 clubs from ano group which will include one club local to us. So 4 games against 4 clubs. Not sure how they will decide home/away, presumably at time pools are drawn.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
22 May, 2018 12:27
Would have liked to seen this opened up to the Champ, at least to reward the top finishers in the Champ to make it 4 pools of 4, as they have to replace the B&ICup as well. One think I remember from the ST bumph is that the cup is not included in the ST "to allow the management to market offers"

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net