rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Cipriani
Rich. (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 10:25
Presumably he will now join an English club as he has been selected to go to South Africa the question is which club will he join?

Re: Cipriani
TimothyQ (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 10:47
I think any club could find room for him. Hed probably work at quins if hes happy to spread the load with Smith and play a bit of rugby at full back. London seems like the logical destination.

Rich. (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 10:51
Quote:
TimothyQ
I think any club could find room for him. Hed probably work at quins if hes happy to spread the load with Smith and play a bit of rugby at full back. London seems like the logical destination.

Yes but I wonder if they are at the top of their salary cap already?

TimothyQ (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 11:11
Quote:
Rich.
Quote:
TimothyQ

Yes but I wonder if they are at the top of their salary cap already?

Im sure theyve got a way around that! Its difficult to think of another club that fits the bill. I assume he wants to return to London and whilst hed be attractive to everyone, I think hes less attractive to Sarries than anyone else (do they really want to lose cips, Farrell and loz every time there is a training camp?). Hed work at Bath and Glos, but I always get the impression that hes a city boy....I suppose its not ridiculous to think that hed come to bris if we delivered a cart load of his front door.

Rich. (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 11:33
I think the days of getting round the salary cap are gone. That's why Wasps have such a small squad and Bath have a lack of depth especially up front. When Bath and Sarries (we assume) got 'let off' last season/season before I believe a line was clearly drawn in the sand and the Prem clubs agreed that from now on it would be serious consequences if anyone broke the cap and rules.

There is a view that he would like to return to Sale but how true that might be ...... Them not qualifying to Europe won't have helped their cause if they do want him.

For me the nos are:

- Sarries - have Farrell and Cipriani seems a bit too free and lose for their style of play
- Northampton - just signed Bigger
- Wasps - Doesn't sound like he'd reconsider plus they have Lima Sopoaga joining them
- Worces - Can't see him wanting to go there
- Quins - reckon they will be at top of salary cap unless they have space for another marquee player
- Exe - Have Simonds and Steenson (and Slade)
-Bath - surely at top of salary cap and have Priestland and Burns (unless they were goign to do a deal, say with us, so that we took one of them - interesting!)
-Leicester - Have Ford

That leaves:

Newcastle - Could see that
Glaws - Poss
Sale -
Bris - I'd think we'd have space within our salary cap and it's a happen' place and he may have heard good things from his ex-Wasps team-mates here. We have Madigan and Sheedy but Cipriani (if he does well in summer) may miss half the season with England and .......

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 11:52
Can't believe that Woodward hasn't been picked and Brown is still in the squad. The only logic I can see for taking Brown is because he's a senior player and Eddie doesn't want to take too inexperienced a squad down to SA to get beaten up

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 12:00
Brown had a couple of season a few years ago in which he was the outstanding fullback in the 6N and as good as any other. But he hasn't reached anything like that form for a good while now. He's not even the best EQP in the Premiership now and certainly behind Woodward.

Rich. (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 12:41
Quote:
Standardprocedure
Can't believe that Woodward hasn't been picked and Brown is still in the squad. The only logic I can see for taking Brown is because he's a senior player and Eddie doesn't want to take too inexperienced a squad down to SA to get beaten up

Maybe he's working with an unofficial quota as to how many players brought up outside Britain he can pick............

Furriner (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 14:10
Not sure Quins could find room for Cips. Its easy to overlook him due to injury but their first choice 10 was the Saffer Katrakilis, who as far as I know is still there next season, along with Smith.

Also, Quins will be in the same European tournament as us, rather than with the big boys.

I think he might still plump for a big money season in France, because he must know that Jones doesnt rate him and will always be reluctant to give him international game time.

Rich. (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 15:19
I'd certainly hope that there had been informal discussion so that Jones knew Cipriani would stay in England if he was picked for the tour. It would be pointless picking him if he were then to sign for a French club for two seasons and so be ineligible to be picked for the World Cup.

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 16:14
The call-up of Brad Shields over Don Armand suggests to me that playing overseas is no longer fatal to international ambitions

Rich. (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 16:58
Quote:
Standardprocedure
The call-up of Brad Shields over Don Armand suggests to me that playing overseas is no longer fatal to international ambitions

Yes!! - though it's Provided they come to play here before (normally! - just before in Shields's case as you say.....)

Other than Shields (who will be join Wasps in summer) they will not pick those who play abroad while they remain playing abroad.

Platwell House (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 06:02
The picking of Cipriani suggests that during their conversations he has suggested that he is going to an English club. Why pick a player for a tour who is off to France?

Furriner (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 08:31
Why pick a player then slag him off in the press? What on earth is Jones doing, telling the world that Cipriani is a disruptive influence and trouble maker before the squad has even got togethe, and saying thered be no hesitation to stick him straight back on the plane? Strange way to welcome him to the fold, and motivate him. More like isolating him.

Rich. (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 09:39
Quote:
Furriner
Why pick a player then slag him off in the press? What on earth is Jones doing, telling the world that Cipriani is a disruptive influence and trouble maker before the squad has even got togethe, and saying thered be no hesitation to stick him straight back on the plane? Strange way to welcome him to the fold, and motivate him. More like isolating him.

Absolutely! He seemed to be responding to questions about that (so was led) but surely as a good people manager would have given some response to say that Danny is a professional and he certainly forsees no issues with him or any of the team. He potentially may feel he has reason to say more to Danny in private but you don't say things like that in the Press. If I was Danny reading that in the papers I would feel a bit hurt and vulnerable.

John Denver (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 09:53
Eddie Jones is very much a 'carrot' or 'stick' man and in this instance appears to feel the need to use a stick. As others have said, a weird approach in this scenario.

CF_Doom (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 11:26
Things seem to be unraveling with Jones England. Sticking with the same players who were struggling for form at there club side would always bring a down turn in international form. There was a chance to refresh the squad after last year's Argentina tour but he instead flogged the guys coming back from the Lions and players who had reached their peak in Australia (2016).

If he keeps up with high intensity training he will burn them out and players like Cips (and poor Don Armond) isolated.

Interesting tour ahead!

Dieselpup (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 12:53
Quote:
Standardprocedure

Yes, agree with this - Mike Brown was a great player, but not at his best at the moment and Woodward (although quiet last night) has far far more potential.

Rich. (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 17:48
Cipriani is joining Glaws according to the torygraph.

Professor.S (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 19:11
Between Gloucester, Bath and Quins.

Gloucester in pole position.

Bath unlikely.

Bristol not registered any further interest. Presumably this means we made an initial enquiry.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net