Untitled Document

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Piutau deal 'wrecking prem'
Jimeno (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 07:26
According to Sale boss.

Quote:
Sale Sharks Director of Rugby Steve Diamond believes Charles Piutau’s record-breaking £1-million per season deal is “wrecking” Premiership rugby, inflating the value of player contracts too much.
“If I am honest, and I don’t mind saying it, I think they are wrecking it,” he told The Sun.

“They are probably still in the salary cap, but it is madness. Madness. All the clubs are losing millions and it is a false number in the Premiership.

And they can't spell Lansdown.

Re: Piutau deal 'wrecking prem'
Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 07:52
That from a club that induces a player to 'retire' from League so that he can mysteriously 'unretire' and play Union for them. That's pretty unethical behaviour and they were caught out doing it. Two clubs were caught breaking the salary cap and made such a fuss that instead of being punished they changed the rules. Another club has just been found out 'technically' breaking the salary cap after it decided it had a right to play in the Premiership by upping sticks and moving to another city.

And we're the ones wrecking the Prem by hiring someone and paying them entirely within the rules.

Furriner (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 08:08
I’ve thought of Diamond as a curmudgeonly @#$%& for some time, but it is entirely possible the Sun journo led him into this comment - if indeed he made it. He has a reputation for being a whinger and a coach who embraces controversy. And it wouldn’t have been too difficult to wind him up with a mention or two of Bris.

A couple of years ago I’d have suspected he ‘feared ‘ us as a threat to Sale’s position towards the bottom of the table. But they look less vulnerable these days.

So perhaps it was simply a discussion between two @#$%&.

robtheh (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 08:23
Personally think that, if he said it, he was following the dictum of attack is the best form of defence: pre-empting the $hitstorm that would've hit had he signed Jackson & Olding.

Cooombsy (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 08:29
Is it actually a million quid though? I’m sure there have been denials from the club about the size of the deal. It seems to have quickly become an urban myth.

Old Bristolian (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 09:12
The Sun?

hardly a go-to source of educated opinion on Rugby matters!

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 09:27
the club have outright denied the £1m number, but that's not to say it isn't £999,999.

I don't much care to be honest. The odds have been stacked against the promoted club for so long that i feel entitled to come up this time and shake things up a bit. I bet he wouldn't be so damning of it if SL had handpicked him to come and lead us. As it is, he's stuck with a small budget that won't allow him to do much more than build a squad of drunks, rapists and homophobes

Rich. (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 09:35
He is right though that this sort of deal does have an inflationary impact on all the wages of the top players ( and therefore the ones below that level) but with the way things are what other choice did we have if we want to bring together a team capable of staying up? Getting CP not only gives us a fantastic attacking threat which will help us to win matches but no doubt him being in the team will have encouraged others to join us. Steve Diamond would have done exactly the same in Pat's position - but I think he would accept that and it is not the point he's making.

Cidered Abroad (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 09:53
Quote:
Old Bristolian
The Sun?

Hardly a go to source on any matter! @#$%& rag, I don't understand why anyone would bother to buy/read it.

Singapore Sam (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 10:28
Quote:
Cidered Abroad
Quote:
Old Bristolian
The Sun?

Hardly a go to source on any matter! @#$%& rag, I don't understand why anyone would bother to buy/read it.

Maybe something to do with Bear Bristols? (Sm100)

Knowle Blue (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 11:03
Totally agree with Old Bristolian, I wouldn’t trust The @#$%& to get yesterday’s weather right. So in terms of rugby and even more so our team, then automatically any statement from them can be viewed as male genitalia

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 12:04
Another team to add to the poop list.

inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 13:07
Smacks of sour grapes to me from Diamond.

Carry on, nothing to see here.

Whagwan (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 14:48
Interestingly it now seems that Diamond did sign Paddy Jackson (and possibly Olding) and then denied it and is trying to back out. Glass houses and all that.

From TRP:
Quote:
SALE SHARKS could be looking at a huge compensation bill if they pull out of deals to sign Ireland internationals Paddy Jackson and Stuart Olding.
Jackson and Olding have been seeking for new clubs after having their contracts with Ulster and the Irish Rugby Union ripped up despite being cleared of rape.

The Rugby Paper understands fly-half Jackson has signed the heads of terms on a three-year deal to move to Greater Manchester this summer.

The Sharks offered the 26-year-old, who has won 25 international caps, £320,000 in the first year rising to £330,000 in the second then £340,000 in the third and final.

We believe centre Olding has verbally agreed a two-year deal but have been unable to establish that heads of terms have been signed.

The 25-year-old, who has four Ireland caps, was offered £130,000 plus £500 per start in year one rising to £160,000 plus £500 per start in the second and final.

A well placed source has confirmed that Jackson and Olding were both at the Sharks’ Carrington training base last Wednesday.

Ironically, the Sharks denied that they were interested in the pair just as they were leaving the building after being given a guided tour.

The plan was for the club to get their final game of the season against Leicester Tigers out of the way then make an announcement this week.

But a social media outcry, and concern from sponsors, season ticket holders as well as the local MP could force them into trying to find a way out.

A leading agent has warned, however, that backing out after heads of terms have been signed could become very costly.

“Clubs could make their case to back out but if a player pushed it they could get compensation. Certainly if it was me I’d be asking for the contract to be fully paid,” he said.

The Rugby Paper tried to contact Jackson and Olding’s agent for a comment but he declined to return our calls

[www.therugbypaper.co.uk]

Rich. (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 15:33
Fully paid - pah!! Says a lot about some agents. If one party pulls out of a contract so early there needs to be detriment demonstrated to get £££ and I doubt in the time between any agreements and Sale pulling out that either lost the opportunity for another contract somewhere else as a result.

Platwell House (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 19:24
Run and jump Diamond, no one cares

Singapore Sam (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 02:51
Heads Of Terms or Heads Of Agreement whatever you want to call them are non binding. So if that's what they signed the "leading agent" is talking piffle.

Jim H (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 06:43
Singapore, notnsure about that. We got done on verbal agreement between Dwyer & Stranski so a written agreement could well be binding.

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 07:34
Heads of Agreement aren't normally binding unless they have something in them that expressly states a binding intent. The problem is that that sometimes they are written badly and the words used can be taken as binding. And as we've seen a verbal agreement can be binding, just as Julian White found he was committed to us when he thought his pre contract agreement wasn't binding. So maybe there's a case for compensation or maybe there isn't. As usual only the lawyers will happy.

Dieselpup (IP Logged)
12 May, 2018 12:49
Coming from a model coach such as Diamond these comments are completely hypocritical!

Tell you what Steve, how about trying to get through a whole season without being banned from the side line and stop commenting on others!

Poke it fella!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net