rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
signings - are we done?
Portisteve (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 09:43
been very quite re signings - thought we might have had a big one after promotion / season card sales/ bears
Are we waiting until 1st June when we officially become Bristol Bears, or are we done?

Re: signings - are we done?
Platwell House (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 09:54
I think there will be two or three more

hooter (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 09:58
Might well have to wait until all prem games are completed before any further announcements ,if there are any.

robtheh (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 10:09
I did wonder if we were waiting for the rebrand to announce any more

Peter D (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 10:18
Not expecting any more before the season starts. The club have said, though, that they're always on the look out so they might be more in the autumn and early 2019.

JamboBris (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 10:27
Given they've said we are near the salary cap I can't see how we don't have more to announce. Our present squad surely can't be that high when you compare to wasps etc

BigO (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 10:42
I reckon there will be a few more surprises coming.

Despite what the club says, I can't see how we can be anywhere near the salary cap. If you exclude Luatua and Piutau as the marquee players, £7m divided by the 43 remaining players says the average wage is circa £165k. Seems high to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2018 14:33 by BigO.

John Denver (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 10:42
Are we near the salary cap because we have factored in a couple of future signings? There was mention (apparently by Carlos Spencer) of us signing Patrick Tuipulotu, but only after the Southern Hemisphere season finishes - I believe that's August.

Ernie Ball (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 11:00
I would be very disappointed if recruitment for 2018/19 was over. I know we've done some recruitment, but we must avoid going into the campaign without being strong in all areas. At the moment we need strengthening in several departments - scrum half and 2nd row being two.

fromthehill (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 14:09
There might have been one or two Premiership teams who were a bit anxious when Bristol were promoted. I suspect with the lack of subsequent signings they will be breathing more easily. I certainly would be.

youngone (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 14:12
i have a bad feeling we may have had our lot. After being dealt the sh*t sandwich of the re brand you would expect them to at least allude to future signings to appease us if there were any. Also, PL seems to maintain that he is happy with the players bought in etc.

We probably seem like greedy fans constantly calling for more signings but there's no doubt that the prem is a merciless league and injuries can be relentless. I don't doubt we have a solid XV that could do the job if PL has them firing on all cylinders, i just doubt that we have the strength in depth to survive if/(when no doubt) a few of our key figures sustain injuries.

As a side note i read somewhere (cant remember where sorry!) that Lansdown is worth £200-300m more than a 12 month ago so its nice to know that bankrolling us must be of such financial insignificance to him, I cant imagine him bailing on us any time soon really!

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 14:30
Quote:
BigO
I reckon there will be a few more surprises coming.
Despite what the club says, I can't see how we can be anywhere near the salary cap. If you exclude Luatua and Piutau as the marquee players, £7m divided by the 43 remaining players says the average wage is circa $165k. Seems high to me.

Yeah, this is my thinking also.

I believe that we will be towards salary cap based on our squad for next season, but no way does the confirmed squad take us there.

(Unless we have given Dan Thomas £5m a year in his new contract...which i still wouldn't argue with!)

ROLLO (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 18:57
I think that you may find , as Wuss have , that you sometimes have to pay above the going rate to get players to come to a side that is yet to establish itself in the premiership. An average of c £150k doesn't sound out of the way to me.
I would suggest that Afoa and Madigan are on over £300k each to start with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/05/2018 19:00 by ROLLO .

Rich. (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 19:20
Quote:
youngone
As a side note i read somewhere (cant remember where sorry!) that Lansdown is worth £200-300m more than a 12 month ago so its nice to know that bankrolling us must be of such financial insignificance to him, I cant imagine him bailing on us any time soon really!

When there are people living with parents, on the streets, in caravans, having had no pay rise for years, having a mortgage that means they have to a skrimp and save, and having house prices which mean their children may never be able to afford to buy a house in their own town, it's heatening to think that some of the country has been doing so well over the past few years smiling smiley

JamboBris (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 20:41
Quote:
ROLLO
I think that you may find , as Wuss have , that you sometimes have to pay above the going rate to get players to come to a side that is yet to establish itself in the premiership. An average of c £150k doesn't sound out of the way to me.
I would suggest that Afoa and Madigan are on over £300k each to start with.

But 7 were signed from the championship giving them the chance to step up plus a fair few academy promotions that won't be on huge money either. None of those will be pushing the wage of an established prem squad member.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 10:14
People have been saying this since Signed Up Saturday, I don't think there will be any more for now. Especially the megastar types the same people have been clamouring for.

We have what we have and it's time to get behind them.

TimothyQ (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 10:55
I think we’re done plus a couple of squad players or maybe someone from the SH after their season ends. It’s not the squad I hoped we would go up with and I think we’re in for a very tough season, but we’re in a better shape than we were 2 years ago.

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 11:09
Star players ultimately want to play; if they're not going to be the nailed-on starter, then the trade-off for that is to join a club that is going to be successful. If there are slim prospects of winning trophies, then ultimately they're going to want money. But if we start throwing cash at players who aren't going to do anything more than benchwarm or be injury back-up, fans and the owner alike will question the merit of doing so.

The problem is that, as the newly promoted side will struggle to attract stars players unless they're going to be nailed-on as starters. We have a pretty decent first XV that I'm confident can be competitive in the Prem next year - but we're inevitably going to lose some for certain periods either due to injury, fatigue or international duty. It's here we're going to suffer, I fear.

youngone (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 12:31
Quote:
Rich.
Quote:
youngone

When there are people living with parents, on the streets, in caravans, having had no pay rise for years, having a mortgage that means they have to a skrimp and save, and having house prices which mean their children may never be able to afford to buy a house in their own town, it's heatening to think that some of the country has been doing so well over the past few years smiling smiley

Economic disparity is indeed persistent. I was just addressing my own concerns that the re-brand was a way of us being slowly shunted off of the Lansdown payroll due to us being a financial hindrance although what i read suggested this was far from the truth. Perhaps I shouldn't have deviated from the theme of the thread so much. My bad.

expectingrain (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 14:21
Quote:
Standardprocedure
Star players ultimately want to play; if they're not going to be the nailed-on starter, then the trade-off for that is to join a club that is going to be successful. If there are slim prospects of winning trophies, then ultimately they're going to want money. But if we start throwing cash at players who aren't going to do anything more than benchwarm or be injury back-up, fans and the owner alike will question the merit of doing so.
The problem is that, as the newly promoted side will struggle to attract stars players unless they're going to be nailed-on as starters. We have a pretty decent first XV that I'm confident can be competitive in the Prem next year - but we're inevitably going to lose some for certain periods either due to injury, fatigue or international duty. It's here we're going to suffer, I fear.

Any proven Prem standard 2nd Row would be a nailed on starter. No need to be a star.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net