rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Tom Varndell opens up on time at Bristol
Bristol Post John (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 12:25
The winger says "You live and learn it wasn't the right decision [to join Bristol].

Here is the full story

[www.bristolpost.co.uk]

Re: Tom Varndell opens up on time at Bristol
Since 1888 (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 12:36
Sounds a little sour and it makes you think that it was down to the fact that AR was sacked and then clearly he wasnít in future plans from Pats perspective. If he was being really honest he would admit his defence for the modern game isnít good enough for a winger and he has lost a bit of pace but that kind of talk wonít earn you a decent contract at a good level I suppose.
I wish him well whatever he does next Rugby wise and in Rugby retirement but I think his earning top dollar days are over IMO.

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 13:04
Quote:
Since 1888
Sounds a little sour and it makes you think that it was down to the fact that AR was sacked and then clearly he wasnít in future plans from Pats perspective. If he was being really honest he would admit his defence for the modern game isnít good enough for a winger and he has lost a bit of pace but that kind of talk wonít earn you a decent contract at a good level I suppose.
I wish him well whatever he does next Rugby wise and in Rugby retirement but I think his earning top dollar days are over IMO.

Neither the relative (to Prem) lack of strength of the Bristol squad he joined, nor the playoff system (and its ramifications) were unknown to him before he signed....

For me, his time is summed up by his performances vs Worcester last season. Incredible in one, dire in the other.

I wish him well though.

Knowle Blue (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 13:21
I think the article writer has cherry picked what Tom probably said, keep in mind journalist like to make mountains out of molehills. Like all players (and non players) they have opinions, and sometimes theyíre formed on one or two experiences that werenít as we hoped. Tom was a good player for us, and deserves respect. Some say his defensive play wasnít the best, but all players have weak points. As for the play off system, I canít think of one single person or player who liked them, so his unhappiness with it is fully understandable. I suppose Iím a bit of a traditionalist, any man (or woman) that pulls on the holy of holyís known as the Bristol Rugby shirt, and steps on the pitch, gets my respect, and support.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/05/2018 14:55 by Knowle Blue.

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 13:27
clickbait gutter journalism at its best

Chet Ripley (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 15:33
I didnít enjoy Toms time at Bristol either but maybe for different reasons. Anyway all the best Tom, hope you get to play us before you retire.

Platwell House (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 16:17
Point the finger by all means Tom however some of the responsibility does lie with you like your ability to not tackle or defend. Rugby today needs wingers to do this. I do wish him all the best, when running at players he was entertaining but a shared responsibility of what went wrong is needed.

graham t (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 21:48
Looking at the Scarlets Scarlet Fever forum it seems that they have been less than impressed by his time there. So not all Bristol's fault!

Furriner (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 09:11
I read this differently. He wasnít rubbishing Bris, he wasnít blaming anyone, either individually or collectively. He recounted what happened during what most of us would agree was a disastrous season, with inexplicably poor decisions being made by our board. If Iíd been a recently recruited star (albeit a fading one by then) summarising how I felt, it would have been similar in content. And presumably he was asked for an interview and was asked questions by the newshound designed to get controversial comments (which he didnít really make).

Portisteve (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 09:25
At least we arenít Coventry which he describes as pretty grotty!!!

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 11:32
Quote:
Portisteve
At least we arenít Coventry which he describes as pretty grotty!!!
Yeah, I think I'd be upset if I were a Wasps fan.

Seems like he was critical of the board level stuff and reckons the sacking of Andy Robinson was incorrect. Something I can see as having some merit.

Motherrucker1982 (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 11:52
I have no animosity towards Tom - he was exceptional for those 3/4 games last year when him and Woodward clicked. Gave us all hope. Whilst he will always be questioned about his defence, there was no denying that, when on song, he was a deadly attacker that could score from anywhere and a decent bloke to boot.
My interpretation of the article was that he, like many of us, was not overly enamoured at how the club was run during his tenure with us - the extending Robboís contract then sacking him, the reported way we released players and various other PR nightmares by those at the top. I also see him as someone who believes heís very good (and why shouldnít he, top level sportsman should have that top 2 inches that separates them from us mere mortals) and was probably not happy with a bit part role in Patís new era so left by mutual consent. He clearly says he feels heís got more in the tank but to me would struggle to oust Morahan and Piatua plus Leuia/Edwards/Daniels/Protheroe etc regularly.
No sour grapes in my reading and I wish him well - as long as he doesnít come back to haunt us....
Címon Bris!!!
(AKABears)

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 13:49
well put motherrucker, pretty much sums up my feelings on TV and the article too.

inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
18 May, 2018 18:39
Quote:
AlexInSouthville
Neither the relative (to Prem) lack of strength of the Bristol squad he joined, nor the playoff system (and its ramifications) were unknown to him before he signed....

For me, his time is summed up by his performances vs Worcester last season. Incredible in one, dire in the other.

I wish him well though.

+1
Absolutely! When he was in the mood, he was great to watch but on other days he was so frustrating.

borninthewood (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 08:23
Had a chat with him in the gym just after xmas. He was really committed to the cause, really wanted Bristol to do well and was a really good guy. It must tough being a professional sportsman so many highs and lows. Good luck to him a good fella.

T J (IP Logged)
19 May, 2018 09:16
Quote:
Rinkadink
and reckons the sacking of Andy Robinson was incorrect. Something I can see as having some merit.

Canít let this comment pass without asking why?

Bristol-Supporter (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 08:31
Quote:
T J
Quote:
Rinkadink
and reckons the sacking of Andy Robinson was incorrect. Something I can see as having some merit.

Canít let this comment pass without asking why?

I can't see a quote from Varndell actually stating he thought the sacking of Robinson was incorrect!

Peter D (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 15:42
This would appear to support that view,

"I didn't enjoy my time at Bristol. They got a lot of stuff wrong, they weren't prepared for the Premiership. Then they sacked Andy Robinson."

Channel2 (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 09:41
Quote:
Peter D
This would appear to support that view,
"I didn't enjoy my time at Bristol. They got a lot of stuff wrong, they weren't prepared for the Premiership. Then they sacked Andy Robinson."

Perhaps Tom meant that the club got it the wrong way around and should have sacked Robinson before they played a Premiership game.

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
21 May, 2018 10:23
Hard to read it that way round.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net