Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Re: Prem final
Wickerman (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 20:46
Have no strong feelings towards Exeter.
When I was a lad the only team we played from that part of the world as far as I remember was st Lukeís college.Says it all about their history.
Like Worcester they are Jonny come latelys and Iím delighted in our sport that is a possibility.Hopefully ring-fencing the premiership to stifle ambition will never happen.
But long term Exeter will struggle to maintain their status.All to do with population and money.
Wait and see.

Chiefs (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 07:32
Quote:
Wickerman
When I was a lad the only team we played from that part of the world as far as I remember was st Lukeís college.Says it all about their history.
Like Worcester they are Jonny come latelys and Iím delighted in our sport that is a possibility.Hopefully ring-fencing the premiership to stifle ambition will never happen.
But long term Exeter will struggle to maintain their status.All to do with population and money.
Wait and see.

(Sm22)(Sm22)(Sm22)

So you would never come to Devon and play Exeter, Plymouth Albion or Torquay Athletic back in the day. Spouting rubbish like this, I doubt you ever really played the game my friend.

I am 60, never played for Exeter, but played against them several times and beat them back in the very early 80s. Please donít even try and tell me who the teams to beat weíre back in the 70s and 80s. Your ignorance has caused me more than a little titter.

I do agree the Premiership should not be ring fenced, it allows clubs like Irish and Bristol the chance to play the odd season in the top flight.

EverOptimistic (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 07:48
Quote:
Chiefs
I do agree the Premiership should not be ring fenced, it allows clubs like Irish and Bristol the chance to play the odd season in the top flight.

Whoops. Classy posts from Chiefs until this little bit of Exeter supporter smugness crept in, disguised as a joke.

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 07:55
It's true though

Chiefs (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 07:55
Quote:
EverOptimistic
Quote:
Chiefs

Whoops. Classy posts from Chiefs until this little bit of Exeter supporter smugness crept in, disguised as a joke.

I do give you an apology for that one EO, but it was in response to a rather ridiculous post. Bit of off the cuff @#$%& for tat, I will refrain from that in future........But it was a rather silly post.

Chiefs (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 08:20
Quote:
Wickerman
Like Worcester they are Jonny come latelys and Iím delighted in our sport that is a possibility........

Lack of history and Jonny come latelyís....!

Exeter Rugby Club. 1871.
Worcester Rugby Club. 1871.
Bristol Rugby Club. 1888.

I think you really need to think before you post such inaccurate rubbish.

Just for your information, I have played against Bristol a couple of times, back in the Bob Hesford days. Did not manage a win but did come close, by about 8 points from memory. I have also stood at the Mem and cheered them on over the years, just a rugby fan. I got no pleasure seeing Bristol get relegated again last time.

People can say, within reason, what they want on a public forum, but I do think every effort should be made to be remotely accurate.

Jim H (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 09:01
Chiefs, I think what's causing the friction is mixing up a few different things.

There is plenty of respect and admiration for what Exe have achieved, I don't anyone begrudges the club (or fans) that.

There is jealousy of this. Bristol blew there chance and spent years wallowing in a division devoid of attention and losing our best and brightest.

But there is some dislike of the image in the press of Exe as poorly funded, plucky under dogs, who players only play for love of the club that turned over big-shot, rich boys Bristol to gain there chance in the big time. Which is just untrue.

The style of rugby is down to taste, and I haven't seen enough of Exe to comment, but I don't hear a lot of praise for the style on any of the other network boards. But if our team was winning I doubt we'd care either.

30 May, 2018 11:24
Take two identical Premiership clubs.

Both spend the same amount on players, facilities, everything - £10m.

Both receive the same income from TV, tickets, etc - £8m.

Both therefore make a loss of £2m every year.

Both have wealthy backers who pour in enough money to keep the club nicely full of cash, but the difference is how they do it.

One club, like most similar clubs, gets the money poured in via the back door, usually as loans that will never ever be repaid. It works for tax reasons but makes the balance sheet look more scary every year and the club still appears to make a loss of £2m.

The other club gets the money poured in as 'sponsorship' as the person who calls the shots has total control, and even though the 'sponsorship' has VAT charged against it, this is still more tax efficient than taking the money out of the company & then putting it in as private money as other clubs do. This money now becomes income, so the club appears to make a profit of £2m every year.

Both clubs are still propped up by the same amount from Daddy each year, but one appears to make a loss, and the other a profit. In the end, there is actually no difference at all, and when Daddy goes the money will stop.

Welcome to premiership rugby finances.

Peter_B (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 11:46
Welcome to professional sport. You either need good sized crowds and/or an investor of some description. Adequate crowds require a ground with a reasonable capacity. Oh look Bristol had that all along.

Peter

C'mon you Bristol Boys!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/05/2018 12:55 by Peter_B.

30 May, 2018 12:14
you also need other revenue streams than just 'sport' related ones (i.e. ticket sales, mechandise, etc.). Which is why clubs heavily market their abilities to host other events and conferencing in order to add to the coffers.

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 12:53
Actually you can't fund the thing via sponsorship (if you mean using it as a vehicle to channel funding that an owner might otherwise supply via loans). HMRC look very closely at deals in which the sponsorship appears to be paying over the odds at non-commercial rates. Plymouth got caught out like that and I think there was a relatively small issue at Exeter. So a club owner can't fund his hobby by getting his company, lets call it SW Comms, to pay excessive amounts for sponsorship. Assuming the Revenue are keeping an eye on things of course.

Chiefs (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 16:51
Just a point Gary, Tony Rowe does not own Exeter Chiefs.

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 19:52
And where did I say Tony Rowe owns Exeter? I used a company name as an example of how an owner could be prevented from funding a club via sponsorship.

Of course this is part of the mythologising of how Exeter is somehow different in the way it works. Yes, in theory it is a members club with the shares held in trust. But does anyone really think that the current Chairman, Tony Rowe, hasn't been the one who has funded the club. His company has been a major sponsor for years putting in, what, millions. The current accounts show that he guarantees the club's bank loans to the tune of £2.75M and had bought £2M in bonds at a return of 7%. In contrast all the other directors and family members bought under a third of a million pounds worth. He may not be the 'owner' but he's definitely been the financial driving force behind the club for years and still is. Which is why he is Chairman.

Chiefs (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 21:00
Quote:
Gray_Lensman

So a club owner can't fund his hobby by getting his company, lets call it SW Comms

Have a great 18/19 season.

fatheralice (IP Logged)
01 June, 2018 08:51
Chiefs reported £2.4M in bar takings this last financial year. I'd be interested in what other rugby clubs bring in. I would expect significantly less. Chiefs matchday runs from about 12pm to late into the night, which is a point of difference compared to most.
Add in several £M in conferencing income, and you have a pretty good idea of why Exeter are making a profit where others aren't.

01 June, 2018 08:59
that's because chiefs have created an environment where supporters want/can spend time before and after the match. AG has been the opposite this season, though it will be interesting to see how much changes this year with the new initiatives being advertised

Cidered Abroad (IP Logged)
01 June, 2018 12:15
This thread' content, a conversation with a Brummie and my thoughts on how big we can become, should we hold our place in the Premiership and progress to a regular top six club are the background for this post.

The Brummie, who now lives just north of Worcester, I met in a local supermarket and got chatting football/rugby. He now goes to Exeter matches, and follows guess who in football? Yes Man United, not Villa or Birmingham. There's a surprise. Exeter now the Man U of rugby? My nephew now supports, with ST, Exeter after two lengthy periods as an ST holder at London Irish followed by Barff.

Leads me to ask the questions. How many of the 10,000 who turn up at Sandy Park are lifelong Chiefs fans? How many at Exeter and Barff would defect to Bristol should my scenario of Premiership membership turn out to be fact? Who, from the floating fans at Barff, would prefer the all covered stadium at Ashton Gate to the temporary stands and canvas roofs? Or the Brummie, a shorter journey to home games?

Bristol were selling around 7,500 tickets last season for all league matches, ST and POD. How many is the realistic numbers of longtime Bristol fans, that we can pull in, whether they actually attend every game or come as and when they can? I would guess at somewhere between twelve and eighteen thousand. More if we were a top four regular, as that would include more of the intinerants discussed above.

So, should we be able to hold our place this coming season, and make progress thereafter, what are others opinions about titles, cups and regular attendances? Possibly a very exciting time for us.

graham t (IP Logged)
01 June, 2018 16:34
If supporters followed success to a significant extent, Sarries would need a ground with about triple their existing capacity to accomodate their crowds

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net