rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bristol Rugby/Bristol Rovers
CF_Doom (IP Logged)
26 May, 2018 21:49
I've been wondering, how many fans from the mem that didn't like the move to Ashtongate due to supporting Bristol Rovers?

Never really been talked about, are you progressive or have you not visited due to the soccer connection?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/05/2018 21:52 by CF_Doom.

Re: Bristol Rugby/Bristol Rovers
Rich. (IP Logged)
26 May, 2018 22:43
Ooh do you have to start such a thread?? I'm sure any committed fans came with us as much as they didn't want to.

Old Bristolian (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 00:03
Why wouldn't they?

JamboBris (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 00:11
Really don't get why this would be an issue for anyone that considers themselves a fan?

CF_Doom (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 07:01
It's interesting, sport as you know is tribal. I bet there are loads of supporters (newer) that didn't go to the mem for the very same reason.

I guess I was thinking about attendances and fan base

Graham_U (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 11:32
Doubt it's significant CF_D as the Mem was Bristol Rugby's ground long before it was a football ground, so your logic would imply that it would only be younger fans or that they stopped going when Rovers moved in or took over, when we had far greater problems as a club. Whereas AG has always been City's ground but interestingly our support has increased significantly since we moved.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Channel2 (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 12:39
I'm not sure how you could be both after the way the Rovers shafted the rugby club.

CF_Doom (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 14:25
Totally agree Graham_U, I'm sure the support would have grown slightly when Rovers moved in, much like now at Ashton Gate??

I think it's quite interesting how fans can migrate during moving grounds.....and I'm pretty bored now the season has finished smiling smiley

Cidered Abroad (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 18:58
Well it never stopped me as a City fan, from going to the Memorial. Silly argument. If one supports a club whether football or rugby, one should go to the ground where that club plays.

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 08:22
Quote:
Channel2
I'm not sure how you could be both after the way the Rovers shafted the rugby club.

Shafted? Maybe there was something i missed...i just thought Rovers took steps to secure their own financial future when the opportunity arose. Rovers owed the rugby cub nothing. (and i am not a Rovers fan)

Albertfromla (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 09:08
Bristol Rovers didn't shaft Bristol Rugby. I think I am correct in saying that Bristol Rovers,as tenants at the Mem, needed to make ground improvements that would cost a considerable amount. They entered into an agreement with Bristol FC that said if either club went in to administration, the other club could buy the ground for (more or less nothing ) I believe it was 10,000 but not sure. As I remember a certain Bristol benefactor
Called in a 1 million pound loan that put BFC under. As it was along time ago this may not 100% accurate. I am certainly not a Gas fan but a Bris fan for 60yrs

Thorney (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 09:47
Your summary is pretty much spot on Albertfromia. Rovers came in first as tenants of BFC. Then the ground was transferred to a joint company. BFC obviously put the existing ground into the company and Rovers were deemed to be putting in equal value in terms of cash, some of which went on improvements but a large chunk on reducing BFCs debts to the bank. The shareholder agreement had the right for each party to buy out the other for a nominal amount if the other went bust. It was a year or two later when a former benefactor called in his loan and put the rugby club into administration which led to Rovers taking total control of the company that owned the ground. It was the Rugby Club overstretching itself when the game went professional that brought about the loss of the Mem.

Dieselpup (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 09:55
With the greatest of respect .. who cares ?

Water under the bridge (in fact its way out to sea by now)!

Graham_U (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 10:14
I think you need to add to that story that there was some dodgy double dealing where a certain character managed to increase the value of his investments in Rovers when Bris went bust. None of us normal shareholders ever got to know what was going on until it was too late..

It was more a case of the management being incompetent rather than overreaching themselves. As a company they had far more assets than their debts but due to a lack of proper sugar daddy, unlike the other 11 prem teams, they made some disastrous decisions in the financing of the club that make a Wonga loan look like a good deal.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

BS7 (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 12:50
My memory is the same, however I heard that some of the historical framed photos of BRFC were rescued from a skip just after the ownership transferred to Rovers or the holding company. I just wonder what would have happened if the situation was reversed, I shudder to think? Onwards we go, just disappointed in the manner Rovers/Holding Co handled their 'victory' in obtaining the stadium and some of the disrespectful comments that have been made.
Glad that's off my chest and as I said, onwards and hopefully upwards we go.... at the 'Memorial Gate' (joke) (Sm109)

Channel2 (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 12:05
Very convenient excuses on behalf of Rovers.

I repeat they shafted the rugby club and Mr Holmes was very much a part of that.
The club took years to recover.

They are known as the Cuckoos for good reason.

Jimeno (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 18:20
When Rovers played some home matches at Ashton Gate some years ago they were very poorly attended.

So if Rovers fans won't support Rovers at The Gate...

Brizzlonian (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 21:33
Quote:
Channel2
Very convenient excuses on behalf of Rovers.
I repeat they shafted the rugby club and Mr Holmes was very much a part of that.
The club took years to recover.

They are known as the Cuckoos for good reason.

So despite being given anecdotal evidence of how Rovers didn't shaft the club, you still insist that Rovers shafted the club?

I quite happily support both Rovers as well as Bristol Rugby. I'm not sure how people are not sure how you can support both.

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 07:36
There is actual evidence that Rovers shafted the club. If only by way of one of their preferential shareholders. Who was the man who inserted the clause about buying half the ground for 10k, without ever making that information available to other shareholders, and then promptly called in his loans that put us into the position where that clause was activated. So the sole asset of one business got transferred to another in which he had an interest for a fraction of its worth. I call that being shafted and would be amazed if Rovers weren't aware of what was going on. I can see that you might argue that wasn't really Rovers but ask yourself who benefitted. Our majority shareholder managed not to lose money when everyone else did, that's true. But it was Rovers who ended up with an asset at a big discount.

Graham_U (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 11:17
But I blame that character Gray, not Rovers. It seemed to me that it was more self-interest and financial getting out of the basket cask we were at the time, which I understand he did rather well, including non-Rovers related clauses.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net