Untitled Document

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: Bristol Rugby/Bristol Rovers
Channel2 (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 13:11
Quote:
Gray_Lensman
There is actual evidence that Rovers shafted the club. If only by way of one of their preferential shareholders. Who was the man who inserted the clause about buying half the ground for 10k, without ever making that information available to other shareholders, and then promptly called in his loans that put us into the position where that clause was activated. So the sole asset of one business got transferred to another in which he had an interest for a fraction of its worth. I call that being shafted and would be amazed if Rovers weren't aware of what was going on. I can see that you might argue that wasn't really Rovers but ask yourself who benefitted. Our majority shareholder managed not to lose money when everyone else did, that's true. But it was Rovers who ended up with an asset at a big discount.

The move to Newport due to the redevelopment of the Mem wasn't particularly helpful either

Graham_U (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 10:59
Ch2, that was their incompetence in poor financial planning (student let flats), (and our management in making commitments to Newport before they had something legal from Rovers) not something specifically aimed at us.

Although ironically that Newport fiasco is probably the reason we have struggled for so long. If you look at the poor signings/release the season before after being on the up, I always suspected they had cut the budgets and written off the season in Newport to be played in the champ with the hope of a big return to the Prem and Bristol. Unfortunately only the relegation happened and we have lost so much ground, and spent many times more money a season trying to get back to where we were before that debacle. I definitely feel that that was the final straw for Hilly, who had put up with a lot during his reign and done wonderfully well will a shoe string budget.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 16:27
Hill also said he wouldn't spend up to the increased 4.whatever million cap at the time, spending 3 million and splurged a million on sub-par training facilities instead of the squad despite our old facilities saw us at the top of the prem for a while and ultimately finishing 3rd overall. Wasps are doing quite well right now despite having an amateur style training set up since they moved to Coventry. Yes, players complain a little that the new place hasn't been built yet but their performances have been very good regardless and they're able to attract fresh talent and run an academy. It was a huge mistake from Hill IMO, as was his reluctance to nurture talent and play anyone except the fading old guard.

Anyway my thoughts on Rovers? Deal was dodgy from the outset, kept from shareholders and supporter groups. Thankfully we have moved on, although I miss some aspects of the mem. Its done and there's nothing we can do but look forward and ensure the same mistakes don't happen again.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net