rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Pat Lam on the booze
Big Dave (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 10:35
"On", as it talking about, rather than imbibing.

Anyway, interesting article from NZ Herald on the Barbarians going on the sauce, and whether that is a good thing or a bad thing to be talking about.

[www.nzherald.co.nz]

Re: Pat Lam on the booze
Jim H (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 20:41
A bit of a different take on it here;

[www.barbarianfc.co.uk]

Didnt realise JT and Conor were involved as well. Hopefully a sign of what we can do next season.

Rich. (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 22:25
But to compare what happened with the BaBas (or is suggested) is totally different to what some Chiefs players did when out of it that time.

robtheh (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 07:33
[www.bristolpost.co.uk]

Lazy, lazy journalism: ...Lamís superstar side, put together in just five days, half of which was spent drinking, scored nine tries to put more points on England at Twickenham than any other side in history...

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 08:43
Can we have a ban on links for the Bristol Post please?

John Denver (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 09:31
Quote:
Standardprocedure

I find the Bristol Post interesting for the latest transfer gossip, but only yesterday it talked about the "game line" rather than the "gain line," showing a lack of very basic rugby knowledge.

30 May, 2018 09:34
the transfer gossip is available from other sources though, usually because the BP just regurgitates the content produced by other people who can be bothered to do a little investigating or who have the contacts to give them the gossip

Rich. (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 09:37
Quote:
Standardprocedure

Why them particularly SP?

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 10:25
Quote:
Rich.
But to compare what happened with the BaBas (or is suggested) is totally different to what some Chiefs players did when out of it that time.

Spot on....NZH cherry-picking facts to suit their narrative

30 May, 2018 10:58
Rich, because it's sensationalist click-bait that is poorly written and often simply plagiarises material from other sources. it's not informed or insightful journalism. Of course, the same could be said for other outlets, but it's the BP that is more relevant to this board

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 11:03
Quote:
Big Dave
"On", as it talking about, rather than imbibing.
Anyway, interesting article from NZ Herald on the Barbarians going on the sauce, and whether that is a good thing or a bad thing to be talking about.

[www.nzherald.co.nz]

I got as far as,

"Pat Lam may have done for booze what the 1990s cult hit film Trainspotting did for heroin."

... and literally closed the page.

There may have been something of value later on but that's enough for me.

robtheh (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 11:25
Quote:
Standardprocedure
Rich, because it's sensationalist click-bait that is poorly written and often simply plagiarises material from other sources. it's not informed or insightful journalism. Of course, the same could be said for other outlets, but it's the BP that is more relevant to this board

I agree with you SP...I guess I posted it in a fit of rage about how utterly @#$%& the BP has become, particularly when relevant to us!

Graham_U (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 11:32
Ironically, as I remember from an interview with Ronnie a few years ago, a few nights on the sauce was the secret to his success as the BarBars at the end of his career, when he went AWOL from Bris to capt them.

Graham

C'mon Bris,

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/file/s100.htm?102,file=399.jpg

Stand out in a crowd, wear the Hoops!

Peter D (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 14:12
Quote:
Standardprocedure

The Bristol Post is neither particularly worse or better than most other news outlets. Journalism has always been based around reporting facts or opinions from a variety of resources - call that plagiarism if you wish.

Scoops or exclusives are rarely what they claim to be. Most of what we read in newspapers or on news websites is syndicated material which is rehashed and given a slant by the journalist to suit his/her readership or employers.

Like it or not coverage by the BP will be essential to growing the success of the Bristol Rugby (or Bears, if you prefer) - local profile will precede national or international. The grammar and spelling makes me cringe sometimes but the same is true in almost everything I read in the press or online these days. People have forgotten how to write clearly and succinctly. Such errors are not the preserve of the Bristol Post, nor of John Evely. Some of his harshest critics on this site are guilty of equal or worse on a regular basis - people in glass houses...

Rich. (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 14:40
Yes as we know the Bristol post is struggling to keep going so I guess they need the bit of money from clicks on this sort of stuff. Sad but probably true. And Bris need them to keep going for rugby reports, news and crucial free advertising/marketing.

Big Dave (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 17:30
I think it's unfair just to pick on the Bristol Post in this regard.

Rich. (IP Logged)
30 May, 2018 19:25
Wales on line quote Clive Woodward as saying the following to prove once and for all what a you know what he is - 'The Baa Baas are a throwback to all that was wrong with the amateur game and has no place at the top level of professional rugby. Sunday's game was embarrassing to professional rugby and professional sport...... Many rugby fans enjoyed some of the Barbariansí spectacular tries at Twickenham but frankly I was not one of them'

Now he said it is very tricky for a non 1st choice England team and how he always hated the fixture when coach and it would be better to play Georgia and I can understand all that but 'all that was bad with the amateur game'!! + Forgetting how such rugby can inspire kids and get them into rugby !! I can imagine there are many over 50 yes old who are fans now &/or who became players having watched the BaBas v All Blacks in 1973

Olly (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 16:34
I donít see the Baa Baas as being everything that was wrong with the amateur game. I see them as a celabration of everything that is very right with our game of rugby. They may not be a team as such, more a collection of individuals but this group of individuals just beat a team called England. Being English I would have liked England to have won, but they didnít. They were well beaten by the Barbarians and I didnít care. Had they lost to anybody else I would have felt very differently. The Barbarians provide a huge amount of entertainment to rugby fans world wide. Thy are the Harlem globetrotters of rugby. A unique club the outside world struggles to understand.

Bristol, like the glass is Blue, Bristol Blue.

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 20:21
I guess Clive Woodward is a man who plants his daffodils in a straight row 12Ē apart

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net