31 May, 2018 15:08

Re: Great publicity for Bristol Bears
Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 15:14
I'm surprised no-one has found that website before

Channel2 (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 15:32
Someone just put the link on the Bristol Bears (rugby) facebook page SP.

Rich. (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 15:36
Quote:
Standardprocedure
I'm surprised no-one has found that website before

Oh they have don't worry - all of my friends who live in Bath have been very keen to show me it and have a good chuckle at the marketing masterstroke. I'm sure it's been great pub for that pub mind you!

EverOptimistic (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 15:41
This is old news - it all came out on announcement day. Or are the above posts tongue in cheek (pardon the pun).

I suspect we'll have similar posts every time someone 'discovers' the Bristol Bears bar website.

Channel2 (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 15:58
Honestly, I had never heard of the Fiesta until someone put it on the rugby club Facebook page today.

Superb publicity for the original Bristol Bears, who it seems clear have no intention of rebranding themselves.

EverOptimistic (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 16:09
Sorry Channel2. I was referring to SP saying "I'm surprised no-one has found that website before".

I hadn't heard about the fiesta either, but good for them - they're obviously making the most of the rugby connection!

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 19:16
I wonder if the reaction would have been the same if the original bristolbears.co.uk website was a link to a teddy bear shop, rather than a gay pub.

Channel2 (IP Logged)
31 May, 2018 20:03
I have no idea @ AlexinSouthville, but either connection would be good for the original Bristol Bears, and fertile ground for p***takers of our club if we fall flat on our faces.

The Fiesta picture is a masterstroke don't you agree ?

Cunning Stunts (IP Logged)
01 June, 2018 08:18
Watch out for even pointing out that website exists. Claims of homophobia were thrown out by the club when people made jokes about that website. Maybe it was part of the clubís strategy to make Bristol more at one with the LGBT community (which would be commendable).

Iíve been with Bristol long enough to know that once again theyíve stumbled into issues without proper research and then tried to play the homophobia card to any detractors.

I donít detest the rebrand anymore, Iím just numb to it and think itís all been handled badly.

If there was any REAL homophobia thrown out by bristol fans then I obviously donít support that but Iím pretty active on social media and all I saw was jokes about the clumsy rebrand and the Bristol Bears Bar already existing.

Grrrrrrrr

01 June, 2018 09:03
I agree, CS. My assumption that most people's criticism of the club was that they had simply, once again, completely failed to do a proper job. The fact that it was a gay bar was irrelevant in my mind, but I guess there are others out there who may think otherwise.

My original reply was very much tongue-in-cheek - it's one of those facepalm moments that is going to rear its head on a regular basis as a constant reminder of how inept Bristol Sport are.

Hats off to the BBB for what they've done with the website header - far more inspired marketing that what our guys could muster up!

01 June, 2018 09:22
Quote:
Standardprocedure
I agree, CS. My assumption that most people's criticism of the club was that they had simply, once again, completely failed to do a proper job. The fact that it was a gay bar was irrelevant in my mind, but I guess there are others out there who may think otherwise.
My original reply was very much tongue-in-cheek - it's one of those facepalm moments that is going to rear its head on a regular basis as a constant reminder of how inept Bristol Sport are.

Hats off to the BBB for what they've done with the website header - far more inspired marketing that what our guys could muster up!

I agree that itís irrelevant, but sadly I think a fair bit of the snickering is due to the gay angle, rather than the Ďbodged rebrandí angle.

In a way, I am delighted we are associated with a gay bar....to decent people, they wonít care either way, and for the people for whom it is a problem, I am happy that they are @#$%& off

Rich. (IP Logged)
01 June, 2018 09:30
I love 'Maybe it was part of the clubís strategy to make Bristol more at one with the LGBT community (which would be commendable)' - I assume that was a joke as for one thing it would need a strategy! Yep good on the BBB - if only the club had a part ownership of it as this will have been great for their trade!

01 June, 2018 09:39
Perhaps AG could host a game or two of theirs. London Scots recently put out a side against the Kings Cross Steelers for a charity match, so no reason why we couldn't do the same

Big Dave (IP Logged)
01 June, 2018 16:52
Quote:
AlexInSouthville
I wonder if the reaction would have been the same if the original bristolbears.co.uk website was a link to a teddy bear shop, rather than a gay pub.

No. There was a lot of homophobic comment and inference at the time and I'm sure there will be now.

Mind you, being unhappy with the rebrand does not mean you are homophobic.

01 June, 2018 17:17
[quote Big Dave][quote AlexInSouthville]Mind you, being unhappy with the rebrand does not mean you are homophobic.[/quote]

Yep, agree 100% with that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net