rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Joe El-Abd
Tiny George (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 13:39
As well as being a cracking flanker and a genuinely lovely fella, Joe was always very focussed on the future, very bright chap.

Really pleased for him that Castres Olympique, where he is currently coaching won the French Top 14 last weekend.

Joe is building a good coaching reputation for himself.

One for the future for Bristol perhaps?

TG

Re: Joe El-Abd
Olly (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 14:32
+1 agree would love to see him back at some point in the future.

Bristol, like the glass is Blue, Bristol Blue.

ROLLO (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 19:58
Have never forgiven him for getting Craig Gillies sent off ( for the only time in his career - indeed I think his single card ) in the season ending game at The Memorial Ground when Bristol were relegated.I was very near the incident and an Oscar would not have been out of place.
Nevertheless time moves on so pleased that he has made progress after his playing days ended.

robtheh (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 20:07
Quote:
ROLLO
Have never forgiven him for getting Craig Gillies sent off ( for the only time in his career - indeed I think his single card ) in the season ending game at The Memorial Ground when Bristol were relegated.I was very near the incident and an Oscar would not have been out of place.
Nevertheless time moves on so pleased that he has made progress after his playing days ended.

He did, undoubtedly, ham it up.
Red was the right decision though, by the laws being implemented then.

Ozjow (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 21:06
I remember that too! Worcester were on the Bristol line in a close game, had the penalty advantage and a score felt inevitable. Then a rush of blood to Gilliesí head meant pretty much the only thing that could get Bristol out of the situation happened. A rare occurrence.

Pretty sure we didnít get relegated that season though. Far from it - I think that was one of our better ones.....

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 08:33
I don't think Joe El-Abd got Gillies sent off. I think it was the referee. As a result of Gillies' act of serious foul play. So perhaps it was Gillies who got Gillies sent off and not the victim.

Jonny thomas (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 13:24
I think you'll find earlier in that game Gillies stamped on Joes newly reconstructed knee
God only knows how the bloke only ever got 1card

Furriner (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 14:31
According to his Wikipedia page, Gillies was 9ft 10ins tall and weighed 25st 3lbs. With those dimensions Iím amazed I donít recollect seeing him play.

(Unless Joe Ďdoctoredí the page in the interests of a good after-dinner topic!)

Prop Joe (IP Logged)
07 June, 2018 20:51
Quote:
Furriner
According to his Wikipedia page, Gillies was 9ft 10ins tall and weighed 25st 3lbs. With those dimensions Iím amazed I donít recollect seeing him play.
(Unless Joe Ďdoctoredí the page in the interests of a good after-dinner topic!)

He had the size of Lurch and the looks of Uncle Fester!

BigO (IP Logged)
08 June, 2018 13:20
I remember being there with my late old man - one of the few matches he ever watched live.

He took a bit of a dislike to Gillies from the start, and when the incident happened he started chanting 'off, off, off....'' very loudly, to the amusement of those around us, and the embarrassment of me.

Not sure if this had any impact on the refs decision, but he always liked to think it did! Happy memories.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net