rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Charles Piutau
Jimeno (IP Logged)
21 July, 2018 10:06
Wants to play for Tonga

Quote:
Having signed for Bristol, Piutau will enjoy the tag of being the highest paid player in world rugby, yet is ineligible to play test rugby, due to All Black rules that prevent anyone playing offshore from selection.
However, there is a loophole in World Rugby’s eligibility laws, that could see the 26-year-old represent Tonga, his country of heritage at the 2019 Rugby World Cup in Japan.

Piutau will need to represent their sevens side in either their Olympic qualifying schedule or at the 2018/2019 World Series.

This could adversely affect us - do we want it?

Re: Charles Piutau
Rinkadink (IP Logged)
21 July, 2018 10:11
Article is off by miles, CP confirmed as less than reported on multiple occasions and thought the loophole had been closed a while back?

Neale Harvey (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 08:54
There is no chance of this happening. Can your seriously see the tier one nations voting for a system that puts them at greater risk of being beaten? If World Rugby bring in 'one country, one vote' it might have a chance but that won't happen any time soon either.

Rich. (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 08:57
Quote:
Neale Harvey
There is no chance of this happening. Can your seriously see the tier one nations voting for a system that puts them at greater risk of being beaten? If World Rugby bring in 'one country, one vote' it might have a chance but that won't happen any time soon either.

World Rugby is spending lots of money trying to make the tier 2 sides better so I don't think that's fair.

Neale Harvey (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 09:18
I don't dispute that World Rugby are doing a lot of good work but they don't hold the ultimate power. The tier one nations do and they won't vote to strengthen the opposition. Can you seriously see New Zealand voting to let Piutau and others return to play for Pacific island nations? It just isn't going to happen.

Rich. (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 12:55
I'm not sure how the voting in World Rugby works but I know it was agreed to change it recently so the teir 1 nations have less power. TBH I'd say NZ would be very happy for those like CP (who will almost certainly never play for them again) to play for Tonga or whatever.

The recent Rugby League world cup was improved significantly by the strength their revised rules gave to Fiji and others and it helps all if the RWC is strong and we don't have 60-0 thrashings; not that I'm suggesting World Rugby should go as far as League did mind! (was a bit farcical in some cases) .Such thrashings dont help the RWC tournament and doesn't help its financial pull. NZ know they won't lose to Tonga even if CP and a couple of others play for them anyhow.

Going back to the League World Cup suddenly Fiji youngsters will have seen a good League Fiji team and you could see the big interest it generated in the Fijian community. That is not good for Union and I think it will help lead to some form of change.

Neale Harvey (IP Logged)
22 July, 2018 15:03
Voting rights were changed but tier one nations still hold the balance of power. I'm 100% on board with you Rich and think it would be superb if guys could represent 'their' countries after a stand down period. But the cynic in me just can't see the tier one nations voting for it. It would be fantastic for the World Cup and give tier two countries a genuine chance of beating the top teams, but that's the last thing the cosy cartel want. Why do we have 'tier one's and 'tier two' in the first place? That's the bigger issue for me. Patronising and wrong. FIFA are guilty of many things, but one of the greatest things Sepp Blatter did was hammering through 'one country, one vote'. Yes he only did it for his own political ends but it's brought an equality in football that enables teams like Croatia to reach a World Cup final and South Korea to knock out Germany.

halfback09 (IP Logged)
24 July, 2018 16:27
Cooper Vuna who represented Australia on two occasions has recently played for Tonga. I’m not entirely sure how he managed it but it could happen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net