01 August, 2018 10:27
Who cares??

Re: Premiership Fullbacks
Pub Singer (IP Logged)
01 August, 2018 13:11
Quote:
Field marshall
Quote:
Carters contract is up. Russell is reported to be on 700k a year. CP was on about 500k at Ulster. How much do you think CP would want before signing for a club that had just been relegated to the Championship?
Suggesting double is preposterous, and denied by the club who I don't believe would flat out lie. I certainly trust them more than I do rumourmongers who are wrong as much as they are right.

Nobody's saying the club has lied. The club has used careful wording and, to be fair, they should not come out and state any player's salary and incentive scheme. The Belfast Telegraph reported it as 900k. Any figure at 900k or above and below 1m is consistent with the club's statements and being the best paid player in the 2018/19 season.

BigO (IP Logged)
01 August, 2018 13:59
Nice to be in place number 6, even if it is only for one position.

Wuss look very fragile at 15 if Pennell gets injured again.

Would be really interesting to see their analysis of where we'd sit table wise in other positions where we don't have as much depth. 9, 10 and 4, 5 are still a bit of a worry.

Rich. (IP Logged)
04 August, 2018 15:41
Of course if CP stays fit all season then we've prob got the best !

ROLLO (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 08:57
The Wuss position seems to be based on the fact that we only have two players who can play at 15. They have missed Shillcock who has played there as much as at 10, and may turn out to be his best position. Also Mills can cover. Maybe not the strongest in the league, but neither the weakest IMHO.

One interesting comparison that has just occurred to me regarding Pitau is when Wuss signed Latham and paid him a small fortune. Our experience was that whilst he was good to have he could not influence greatly enough from full back and we would have been better using the cash in more influential positions such as 9/10 & 3/4.

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 09:02
Yes, but who was Latham playing behind when he was at Wuss? (Genuine question, not a sarcastic one). If he was playing behind a back line of also-rans, then I'd agree that it would be difficult for a FB to make much of a difference. But I'm hoping that he will complement the likes of Madigan, Pisi, t'other Piutau, Morahan et al, that he'll be able to make a big difference

Furriner (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 09:14
All we need do is win plenty of ball, and we can sit back and admire what our 15 does with it. I appreciate our forwards look a lot better than the school of 16 but Im still nervous about their capabilities. Id have felt much happier if wed spent a few bob extra on an international class lock. Oh well, well find out soon enough, and perhaps there is a southern hemisphere signing soon to be announced.

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 15:02
Is that the same 'flying Shillock' that landed on Tusi Pisi's back and got him a red card Rollo?

MSR-Worcester (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 15:40
Quote:
Standardprocedure
Yes, but who was Latham playing behind when he was at Wuss? (Genuine question, not a sarcastic one). If he was playing behind a back line of also-rans, then I'd agree that it would be difficult for a FB to make much of a difference. But I'm hoping that he will complement the likes of Madigan, Pisi, t'other Piutau, Morahan et al, that he'll be able to make a big difference

Backline in 09/10 season:

9. Arr
10. Walker
11. Benjamin
12. Tuitupou
13. Grove
14. Garvey
15. Latham

Mixed bag really. Average 9/10. Good wingers and decent centres. In addition to Piutau would say Briz now have average wingers and 9, good 10 and centres.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 15:44
Quote:
Hercules Spoons
Is that the same 'flying Shillock' that landed on Tusi Pisi's back and got him a red card Rollo?
Yes, it is.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 15:48
Quote:
MSR-Worcester
[
Mixed bag really. Average 9/10. Good wingers and decent centres. In addition to Piutau would say Briz now have average wingers and 9, good 10 and centres.
That's never an average of 9/10, unless you're rating a arguably past it Latham at 20/10 to bump it all up.

We'll see how our backs go at Bris this season won't we? winking smiley

Rich. (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 16:01
MSR -Worcester - you may watch a lot of rugby (incl Super Rugby & us in Championship last year) but from my point of view I've not seen Stirzaker play so can't say how good we will be at scrum-half (assuming he will be first choice) + it's very hard to say how our centres will cope with Premium defences when they get good ball. They might do great or they might struggle and only time will tell. I think we have at least one very good wing in Morahan though.

My hope (realistic one I think) is that the ball playing skills of our first choice forwards will help our backs to have more time and options and they will therefore shine more. Last season for Wasps Beale supporting the ball-carrying Thomas Young against one defender would always have resulted in a try. Beale with Haskell on the other hand may well not have done!

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 16:14
hat's never an average of 9/10

I don't think he was giving that backline a score out of ten! More like the players at 9 and 10 were both average.

That said, I think MSRWuss is kidding himself with his assessment of the rest of that backline!

ROLLO (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 16:35
HS he is the player that was injured and had to be substituted which arguably cost us the game as he was replaced by a stand off who had hardly played for us , at least that is how I see it. The referee thought it an illegal tackle and I guess if the roles were reversed so would you.
I didn't even think of the incident when I posted as I have moved on, clearly you and Rinkadink haven't.
I wish Bristol the best of luck this season, I have previously posted on my association with them since 1972 , long before they became the Bears.
I think that those posters who have said that the players in front of Pitau will be better than were in front of Latham have a good point, however I would always pay the biggest money to 9/10 and 3 who have a greater influence on a game than a full back. IMHO of course.

BigO (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 19:03
Were all assuming that Piutau will be playing at 15 of course. Seem to recall he played at 13 for Wasps with his brother inside him at 12 - and they did pretty well together. I can see Daniels doing a good job at 15, so you never know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2018 19:04 by BigO.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net