Current Page: 5 of 18

Re: Bristol Bears feedback thread - 2018/19
Sit_Down (IP Logged)
19 August, 2018 21:18
Quote:
Rich.
Quote:
Sit_Down
I disagree. Most other clubs give updates on their injuries and other than guessing the line up what advantage does it give?
From a personal player perspective they may not want it shared and that is fine. A general "sitting out this week for precaution" or "a few weeks away" gives no competitive advantage.

no it doesn't but what I was saying was the club used to give very detailed information but they stopped doing that because they felt it would give other sides an advantage and you can see that it would ("so x if he's playing has been nursing a bad shoulder injury so let's attack his channel ")

We'll have to agree to disagree as that feels a pretty old fashioned view to me. If a player is fit, he's fit. Send someone down the channel and let him get smashed would be my view.

TomTainton (IP Logged)
20 August, 2018 07:57
Quote:
Bristol rugby lad
Hi tom,
Thank you for taking the time to ask all of our q’s it is appriciated by myself.

I have got one other question. I have got s dual season ticket with the bears and bristol city. Last season i had 20% discount on concourse food and drinks by showing both season tickets. I am led to believe that this season i will only get the 10% in the concourse when i show my season card for that particular game and it wouldnt be anymore then that . Is this correct? As i think this is a bit unfair. I understand that if the organisation had to cut back but seems to be a bit unfair on a few who may have dual season cards from going from 20 to 10%.

Again thanks in advance 😀

You're correct in that the 20% discount doesn’t exist any more and you do indeed now receive 10% discount on concessions.

Worth noting, we have replaced the higher discount with the Rewards scheme which we feel will benefit supporters by them being able to earn Rewards cash on additional tickets and merchandise. Don't forget, you also receive a £10 start-up balance for each sport and therefore £20 in total.

TomTainton (IP Logged)
20 August, 2018 07:58
Quote:
Sit_Down
Quote:
TomTainton
Quote:
youngone
Great to see this thread happen. if it continues throughout the season i think it will definitely strengthen relations between club and supporters!
Perhaps this isnt in keeping with the tone of the requests but can we please have an update regarding injuries as we move into the start of the season?

Yes, there will be full injury news - as with last season - with each team announce8ment.

Hi @Tom and thanks for doing this. It is great. However, I noticed with the latest squad announcement that we only get a list of those injured and the part of the anatomy injured!

I'm sure I speak for many when I say a little more detail would be greatly appreciated. For example, C. Piatau. Would be good to get an announcement on his expected return timeline, should we be worried. The v same for some others. We know Matt Protheroe is long term and expected back around Christmas, but how is he tracking? How is his rehab?

The depth of the squad is vital and we'd like to know how we're shaping up. I understand some info is best not shared where injuries are concerned but no real info at all??

A detailed injury report from the pre-season campaign will be released this week.

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
20 August, 2018 08:49
This is an excellent initiative Tom, thank you.

One thing that would help me (us?) at the moment, as I (we) try to get to grips with a much changed squad, is to caption the Gallery and training field photos on the Offy with the players names. The Offy mugshots don't always help.

TomTainton (IP Logged)
20 August, 2018 11:41
Quote:
Hercules Spoons
This is an excellent initiative Tom, thank you.
One thing that would help me (us?) at the moment, as I (we) try to get to grips with a much changed squad, is to caption the Gallery and training field photos on the Offy with the players names. The Offy mugshots don't always help.

Great idea, no problem - thanks for the feedback.

bris_rob (IP Logged)
20 August, 2018 15:49
Hi Tom,

If there is clear evidence this season that Friday night and Sunday afternoon fixtures attract a significantly greater attendance, will the club seek to plan fewer Saturday fixtures next season? (Assuming we are still a Premiership club!)

I know that TV scheduling has a factor but Saturday fixtures exclude a great many Bristol supporters who play for their local clubs. Conversely, the decision to play on Saturday could also have a negative affect on our local clubs with players choosing to watch Bristol instead of turning out for the 2's or 3's.

Cheers
Rob

Brisser (IP Logged)
20 August, 2018 16:00
Hi Tom,

I've just done a little tot up of remaining seats on the website (very slow monday afternoon, sad I know!!) and have got to 2,500ish seats left....

Have you sold over 24,500 tickets or are your releasing tickets in stages?

Keep up the top work.

Cheers

JamboBris (IP Logged)
20 August, 2018 18:48
Quote:
Brisser
Hi Tom,
I've just done a little tot up of remaining seats on the website (very slow monday afternoon, sad I know!!) and have got to 2,500ish seats left....

Keep up the top work.

Cheers

Pleased to know I'm not the only one that has done this!

Olly (IP Logged)
20 August, 2018 19:10
Quote:
JamboBris
Quote:
Brisser
Hi Tom,

Keep up the top work.

Cheers

Pleased to know I'm not the only one that has done this!

Plus 1. I can see the two sections in the corners that haven’t been released.

Bristol, like the glass is Blue, Bristol Blue.

TomTainton (IP Logged)
21 August, 2018 08:49
Quote:
bris_rob
Hi Tom,
If there is clear evidence this season that Friday night and Sunday afternoon fixtures attract a significantly greater attendance, will the club seek to plan fewer Saturday fixtures next season? (Assuming we are still a Premiership club!)

I know that TV scheduling has a factor but Saturday fixtures exclude a great many Bristol supporters who play for their local clubs. Conversely, the decision to play on Saturday could also have a negative affect on our local clubs with players choosing to watch Bristol instead of turning out for the 2's or 3's.

Cheers
Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the comment and this is something that has cropped up numerous times over the off season. When we confirmed that Saturday rugby was our preference, we did so prior to releasing advanced season cards, so supporters knew before purchasing.

The reasons behind this stated preference is as follows:

- Our 'trialled' Saturday fixtures last season enjoyed larger attendances than Sunday
- Revenues around the stadium on a Saturday, compared to a Sunday are significantly higher
- Saturday is more family-friendly than Friday, but still retains that buzz and atmosphere of Friday rugby
- Saturday rugby is popular with PRL/broadcast partners
- Friday/Saturday see greater numbers take advantage of hospitality/first bus travel service
- We've achieved record season card numbers and an increase in memberships this season

The business case for Saturday rugby is clear. I understand your point re: combination, but we do a lot of work with our combination clubs, in terms of community events, players coaching at the clubs etc.

TomTainton (IP Logged)
21 August, 2018 08:50
Quote:
Brisser
Hi Tom,

Keep up the top work.

Cheers

Hi Brisser, will release an update on numbers shortly.

Jimeno (IP Logged)
21 August, 2018 09:57
Quote:
Brisser
Hi Tom,

Keep up the top work.

Cheers

As far as I am aware the capacity of the stadium is less than 27,000. This is because of the unallocated seating areas in the Dolman wings - a certain number of seats have to remain unsold - something like that.

mitzy (IP Logged)
21 August, 2018 15:51
Hi Tom, if I go to the shop now can I buy a radio rather than at the first game as I don't want to get caught up in the inevitable bun fight for shirts. They are not listed on the items on sale.

TomTainton (IP Logged)
21 August, 2018 16:49
Quote:
mitzy
Hi Tom, if I go to the shop now can I buy a radio rather than at the first game as I don't want to get caught up in the inevitable bun fight for shirts. They are not listed on the items on sale.

Unfortunately not - they’ve not been delivered by Prem Rugby yet. Will post an update when they arrive and are available.

Snooks (IP Logged)
21 August, 2018 19:29
Hi Tom, I don't want to go over old ground but a few posts back I asked about the release of merch and the consistent ineptitude that Bristol Sport (and before BS) seem to have in releasing products before the season. To that, you responded the shirts would be released mid-August. I have now read on the website that the shirts will be released on the opening game of the season. My question, therefore, is two-fold.

1. Did Bristol Sport seriously plan the Bears for 2 years with fingers crossed that we would be promoted, get Bath first game of the season, sell out most of the ground and therefore would be a perfect time to release the shirts and hopefully sell a load of shirts? Or was it just another example of poor management/logistics? If its the former could someone please tell me the lottery ticket numbers for 1 years time!

2. Now that the shirts are being released on the first game of the season, are we doing any special event for it or are we planning to cram 20 odd thousand fans into the shop? Another complaint of mine is Bristol Sports sometimes lack of forethought for bigging things up, or bigging them up and then turning out a little small. For example, have you been to the NFL in London, where they have massive marques to sell the merchandise, how about something like that around the ground, so not everyone has cram into the shop. Even if the marques just sell the game shirts and the rest is in the shop. And have some players (none matchday squad players of course) milling around, signing shirts, taking pictures etc. A celebration/festival feel for the launch of the season and shirts basically.

Anyways, I do love Bristol Rugby...sorry Bristol Bears. And my seeming discontent on certain issues is only born through what I feel are constant missed opportunities

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/08/2018 19:32 by Snooks.

tbr (IP Logged)
21 August, 2018 19:52
Quote:
Snooks
Hi Tom, I don't want to go over old ground but a few posts back I asked about the release of merch and the consistent ineptitude that Bristol Sport (and before BS) seem to have in releasing products before the season. To that, you responded the shirts would be released mid-August. I have now read on the website that the shirts will be released on the opening game of the season. My question, therefore, is two-fold.
1. Did Bristol Sport seriously plan the Bears for 2 years with fingers crossed that we would be promoted, get Bath first game of the season, sell out most of the ground and therefore would be a perfect time to release the shirts and hopefully sell a load of shirts? Or was it just another example of poor management/logistics? If its the former could someone please tell me the lottery ticket numbers for 1 years time!

2. Now that the shirts are being released on the first game of the season, are we doing any special event for it or are we planning to cram 20 odd thousand fans into the shop? Another complaint of mine is Bristol Sports sometimes lack of forethought for bigging things up, or bigging them up and then turning out a little small. For example, have you been to the NFL in London, where they have massive marques to sell the merchandise, how about something like that around the ground, so not everyone has cram into the shop. Even if the marques just sell the game shirts and the rest is in the shop. And have some players (none matchday squad players of course) milling around, signing shirts, taking pictures etc. A celebration/festival feel for the launch of the season and shirts basically.

Anyways, I do love Bristol Rugby...sorry Bristol Bears. And my seeming discontent on certain issues is only born through what I feel are constant missed opportunities

One of the best posts I've seen on this forum.
Well done Snooks.

APPLES (IP Logged)
22 August, 2018 10:03
Hi Tom

I have been watching this thread with great interest

Thanks for your work on this. I think it is a great sign of engagement between club and fans and a great step in the right direction.

Firstly, I wanted to offer some positive feedback on a couple of points:

The buzz around the club is the biggest I have ever seen it. (since 2001 for me). Work colleagues who weren't previously that fussed are taking more interest and even buying tickets whereas they would have borrowed our season tickets before!

Social media engagement has been good humoured and interesting to follow.Please keep this up. Having said that, I think that more regular email contact with those who do not follow or are not able/willing to follow on social media would be of benefit!

Kits are good and have been well received by the greater rugby community as well as fans.

I am genuinely excited for this season in the prem. I think that our best chance of success is to continue playing our brand of rugby in an attacking fashion and if we do that we could really cause some upsets. I think that the signings have been geared towards this and as ever Pat Lam looks like a smart rugby thinker. I hope I am proved right on this!

Points that could undergo ongoing improvement:

advertising - some improvement this year with temple meads etc but think this still could be increased further throughout the area. I really think each season ticket holder should get a free car sticker. this is incredible cheap advertising.

online sales - the online shopping experience has improved marginally but is still very poor! it is clunky, the stock has always been poor and it is difficult to actually buy anything. If anything there should be more available online and less in store! the merchandise strategy has always seemed poor and this is one area where the upward trajectory within the club has not followed. i think this area of the business needs serious improvement and looking at again. I agree with the merch tents idea above. the club could do a little more to really maximise income from this area and it has been@#$%&for 15 years +

maximising exposure - I think that for the low revenue games the club should seriously consider giving away 1000s of child tickets to local schools and parent/guardian pays a tenner. they will come back! (conflict of interest - i am a STH and i think this is a good idea to build the supporter base of the club).

injury updates - please can these include estimated recovery time!

Thanks

APPLES

bris_rob (IP Logged)
22 August, 2018 11:44
Quote:
Snooks

This thumbs down Great post Snooks

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
22 August, 2018 13:33
Tom, some feedback re: the club website: (and this may sound ridiculous) there's just too much bl00dy news!

Now that in itself is not a problem and it's great that the team/club/backroom staff are doing so much to contribute content (which is all well done stuff). The problem is that it's updated so often that it's sometimes difficult to find stuff that has dropped way down the page(s) of what quickly becomes historical articles.

Would it be possible to have a set of categories or filters (e.g. team news, stadium news, ticket news, merchandise news, etc.) to make it easier to find things? I know that there's already a search function, but that seems to be pretty flaky at best.

Cheers
SP

Sit_Down (IP Logged)
22 August, 2018 16:11
Quote:
Snooks

The 2nd point is good - the NFL in London (and generally with Merch) is the way to go.

I kind of struggle with your 1st point. Re-brands can take a significant amount of time to plan, especially if you don't have an army of people. I work for FTSE20 business that re-branded 18 months ago and they had hundreds working on it. It still took over 8 months. As I understand it, both clubs requested the opening fixture, so rather than "fingers crossed" it was good planning. Also the marketing and social media work of the club will have contributed to the 20k+ sales. As for the timing of the shirt release, I agree it could have been this Friday or sooner but I'd be intrigued to know the pre-order numbers.

Unfortunately having spent to renew my season ticket, the £60 is too steep. Personally given the re-brand, I'd have stacked them high and put an early bird £45 price tag on them. Try and get loads out there early doors. I'll ask Santa to bring me one.

Current Page: 5 of 18

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net