Current Page: 6 of 29

Re: Bristol Bears feedback thread - 2018/19
Brizzlonian (IP Logged)
22 August, 2018 18:46
Quote:
TomTainton
Quote:
Field marshall
This is a great initiative, well done Tom and the club. My bit; why is the rugby shirt more expensive than the city shirt? I actually like the shirts but this could prevent me buying one on principle. I'll keep an eye on the ticket prices too.

I've had a response from our excellent store manager re: pricing. Please see below:

We provide the supporter an exact replica of what the team has.

Due to the nature of play, football shirts are fine with a standard seam and performance material. Rugby shirts due to the additional contact in the game need reinforced seams, sublimation rather than prints, additional treatment in the neck line to ensure it doesnít rub, to name but a few additional features that improve quality.

This pushes the cost price up a lot causing a rugby shirt to cost a lot more to make than a football shirt simply due to the nature of the process.

Some clubs will offer a lesser quality shirt for less and then a replica shirt for a lot more. We donít do this, other than removing the silicon grips for supporters (as they come off in washes with fabric conditioner) we provide the supporter an exact replica of what the team has.

(Alex, a full stock list of what will be available in store is coming soon).

Hi Tom. Thanks for this thread and all the work you've done here. It's really appreciated. Just curious about this answer. Why does the store manager employ this approach? Supporters on the whole are not wearing their replica shirts to play rugby in. If you offered supporters of the club the option of a £40 shirt, or a £60 shirt with essentially the only difference being reinforced seams, I can't for a second think that anyone would choose the £60 option. I for one, and I'm sure this view is shared here, firmly believe that the club would sell a shed-load more shirts if they were available at £40.

TomTainton (IP Logged)
22 August, 2018 18:46
Quote:
Jimeno
Quote:
Brisser
Hi Tom,
I've just done a little tot up of remaining seats on the website (very slow monday afternoon, sad I know!!) and have got to 2,500ish seats left....

Have you sold over 24,500 tickets or are your releasing tickets in stages?

Keep up the top work.

Cheers

As far as I am aware the capacity of the stadium is less than 27,000. This is because of the unallocated seating areas in the Dolman wings - a certain number of seats have to remain unsold - something like that.

Guys, we should be in a position to announce that the Bath fixture will be a new club record by close of play tomorrow, surpassing 21,203 set in December 2006 vs Bath (who remembers that one!)

TomTainton (IP Logged)
22 August, 2018 18:53
Quote:
Snooks
Hi Tom, I don't want to go over old ground but a few posts back I asked about the release of merch and the consistent ineptitude that Bristol Sport (and before BS) seem to have in releasing products before the season. To that, you responded the shirts would be released mid-August. I have now read on the website that the shirts will be released on the opening game of the season. My question, therefore, is two-fold.
1. Did Bristol Sport seriously plan the Bears for 2 years with fingers crossed that we would be promoted, get Bath first game of the season, sell out most of the ground and therefore would be a perfect time to release the shirts and hopefully sell a load of shirts? Or was it just another example of poor management/logistics? If its the former could someone please tell me the lottery ticket numbers for 1 years time!

2. Now that the shirts are being released on the first game of the season, are we doing any special event for it or are we planning to cram 20 odd thousand fans into the shop? Another complaint of mine is Bristol Sports sometimes lack of forethought for bigging things up, or bigging them up and then turning out a little small. For example, have you been to the NFL in London, where they have massive marques to sell the merchandise, how about something like that around the ground, so not everyone has cram into the shop. Even if the marques just sell the game shirts and the rest is in the shop. And have some players (none matchday squad players of course) milling around, signing shirts, taking pictures etc. A celebration/festival feel for the launch of the season and shirts basically.

Anyways, I do love Bristol Rugby...sorry Bristol Bears. And my seeming discontent on certain issues is only born through what I feel are constant missed opportunities

Snooks, thanks for your message. Responses below:

1. The kits were scheduled to arrive in mid-August, but delays out of our control have pushed this launch date back. I appreciate the frustrations about the lack of availability of retail shirts and senior management are aware. Believe me, we are working tirelessly to a) make this rebrand work and b) ensure that you, our supporters, feel valued/enjoy the matchday experience.

Yes - it's not all been perfect, but we've invested a lot to create a matchday that caters to all ages (bigger fan village, flag hand outs, live music, branded sports bar, new club house, Q&As with players, memorabilia wall), as well as launching the best value season cards in league and one of the best value matchday ticket prices.

We have a pop-up shop as well as the store, extra staff on site, open an hour earlier than usual until after FT and I'm planning on chucking a few lads (non-matchday squad, obviously!) to be around to sign shirts for supporters who purchase, so that's a great shout from you.

Rich. (IP Logged)
22 August, 2018 18:53
Aye 'I was there' on that bitter-sweet day. West Country Warriors or whatever hanging over our heads and all that.

Not a fan of interceptions but I was that day!!

TomTainton (IP Logged)
22 August, 2018 19:00
Quote:
APPLES
Hi Tom
I have been watching this thread with great interest

Thanks for your work on this. I think it is a great sign of engagement between club and fans and a great step in the right direction.

Firstly, I wanted to offer some positive feedback on a couple of points:

The buzz around the club is the biggest I have ever seen it. (since 2001 for me). Work colleagues who weren't previously that fussed are taking more interest and even buying tickets whereas they would have borrowed our season tickets before!

Social media engagement has been good humoured and interesting to follow.Please keep this up. Having said that, I think that more regular email contact with those who do not follow or are not able/willing to follow on social media would be of benefit!

Kits are good and have been well received by the greater rugby community as well as fans.

I am genuinely excited for this season in the prem. I think that our best chance of success is to continue playing our brand of rugby in an attacking fashion and if we do that we could really cause some upsets. I think that the signings have been geared towards this and as ever Pat Lam looks like a smart rugby thinker. I hope I am proved right on this!

Points that could undergo ongoing improvement:

advertising - some improvement this year with temple meads etc but think this still could be increased further throughout the area. I really think each season ticket holder should get a free car sticker. this is incredible cheap advertising.

online sales - the online shopping experience has improved marginally but is still very poor! it is clunky, the stock has always been poor and it is difficult to actually buy anything. If anything there should be more available online and less in store! the merchandise strategy has always seemed poor and this is one area where the upward trajectory within the club has not followed. i think this area of the business needs serious improvement and looking at again. I agree with the merch tents idea above. the club could do a little more to really maximise income from this area and it has been@#$%&for 15 years +

maximising exposure - I think that for the low revenue games the club should seriously consider giving away 1000s of child tickets to local schools and parent/guardian pays a tenner. they will come back! (conflict of interest - i am a STH and i think this is a good idea to build the supporter base of the club).

injury updates - please can these include estimated recovery time!

Thanks

APPLES

Thank you for the kind note and I really appreciate your support.

Advertising - agree re: car stickers, they've been ordered and will be available in the store in due course for free. Completely echo your thoughts - we need to push our brand out there as much as possible. We're really pleased with the national coverage we are getting ahead of the new season, so long may that continue.

Online sales - Noted and will be fed back. Without shifting responsibility, the club does not retain control of the online store - it's centrally managed - however, I will work closely with the team to ensure that the stock is up there, starting with retail kit available online from 9am on Friday, 31.

Maximising exposure - Our community team do fantastic work in many local schools and clubs, all of whom receive tickets. This won't change and we need to do more. The vision is to sell out Ashton Gate every week, so we know there a lot of work to do.

Injury updates - You'll see a detailed update on the website now. Estimated return to play will never be listed under the unavailable players list in team news announcements, but we can provide more detail on injuries - particularly significant ones - as and when they occur.

TomTainton (IP Logged)
22 August, 2018 19:04
Quote:
Standardprocedure
Tom, some feedback re: the club website: (and this may sound ridiculous) there's just too much bl00dy news!
Now that in itself is not a problem and it's great that the team/club/backroom staff are doing so much to contribute content (which is all well done stuff). The problem is that it's updated so often that it's sometimes difficult to find stuff that has dropped way down the page(s) of what quickly becomes historical articles.

Would it be possible to have a set of categories or filters (e.g. team news, stadium news, ticket news, merchandise news, etc.) to make it easier to find things? I know that there's already a search function, but that seems to be pretty flaky at best.

Cheers
SP

Let me look into this. We have an Academy news section, so I'm sure it's manageable. I'll check with our website guys and come back ASAP.

Snooks (IP Logged)
22 August, 2018 19:38
Hi Tom,

Appreciate the response. I'm looking forward to the upcoming season, and especially the opener ve bath. C'mon Bris!

Motherrucker1982 (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 08:05
Quote:
TomTainton
Quote:
Cotman
Hi Tom,
Do you know if any of the pre season games will be live streamed?

Great to have you on here btw

There are discussions ongoing with the stadium team about live streaming the Connacht game, although a decision hasn't been made yet.

Scarlets and Nottingham will not be live streamed.

Hi Tom/team
Firstly, thank you for this initiative - I think it means a lot to us supporters and has gone a long way to helping some overcome the rebranding and has really engaged everyone. Genuinely feel really positive and excited about all the hard work you and the rest of the back room staff/management/players are putting in to make our club a success in every facet. Doing things very Ďrightí IMHO......
Im not able to attend Friday so was wondering if there was an update re streaming the Connacht game? Be good to see the progress and canít wait another 7 days until them down the road visit!
Thank you!

Cooombsy (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 13:19
Quote:
Motherrucker1982
Quote:
TomTainton
Quote:
Cotman
Hi Tom,
Do you know if any of the pre season games will be live streamed?

Great to have you on here btw

There are discussions ongoing with the stadium team about live streaming the Connacht game, although a decision hasn't been made yet.

Scarlets and Nottingham will not be live streamed.

Hi Tom/team
Firstly, thank you for this initiative - I think it means a lot to us supporters and has gone a long way to helping some overcome the rebranding and has really engaged everyone. Genuinely feel really positive and excited about all the hard work you and the rest of the back room staff/management/players are putting in to make our club a success in every facet. Doing things very Ďrightí IMHO......
Im not able to attend Friday so was wondering if there was an update re streaming the Connacht game? Be good to see the progress and canít wait another 7 days until them down the road visit!
Thank you!

City streamed the friendly v. Bournemouth so I guess there's no tech issue with this, just comes down to potential demand I guess?

Rich. (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 15:06
Also the club want us to go to the game and not watch a stream of it surely.

Bristol rugby lad (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 16:16
Hi tom,

Thank you for the responses so far. I have got another q.

Has the club thought within the re-brand to try something new. Ive been thinking how about players wear the number of when they play there first league game for us on the front of the shirt. For example if luatua was the 1000th player to play a league game for us he would have this on the front of his shirt. I believe both england cricket and rugby already do this

I think this would have a positive impact as the players would know they have come to a club which value them and that they would always be remembered and be part of our history. And that number will always be with them

Thanks in advance.

bris-stato (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 18:50
This is something that was already in place last season. The competitive appearance number for each player was printed as part of their photo in the club programme. This also included Academy players. There was also a feature in one of the programmes launching this and featuring the players with special numbers e.g. 1, 100, 250, 500.

tbr (IP Logged)
23 August, 2018 19:51
More on merchandise (training/leisure wear) from me please Tom.

And range of sizes. Large sizes in particular.

I see the online store is sllllowwwwwwly being built... and I can't wait until sweatshirts and polos are available.
Or can I?
Alas... I'm already thinking... looking at the hints of sizes that will evvvvennntuallllly be available... that yet again... like the last few years... anyone that is bigger than (the) average (bear) might as well go whistle.
To not sell polos or sweats in anything more than 46 or 48 inch chest size is a bit of a mickey take for rugby fans isn't it ... and real missed open goal in terms of potential revenue loss I'd say?
I did buy a 3xl shirt last year which just about got over my shoulders but became like a toy shirt after its first wash. (At a low temperature I might add... I'm used to cheap rugby polos shrink as soon as they get NEAR a hotpoint).
And it's not as if I'm a giant. 6'3". 15.5 stone. A decent back row size. Hardly a lock or prop. What on earth would THEY wear?!

I really really hope the club or Bristol Sport or whoever see fit to stock and sell 4xl or even 5xl (proper 50" or even 52" or even larger) sizes of polos swears and hoodies this year.
Especially as last year Bristol Sport stocked and sold those sizes to the football and basketball fans... but not (for reasons that utterly bemuse me) to the potentially bigger rugby followers.

Please pull some strings if you can Tom and make it so...

Many thanks.

Tiny.

Sarzy (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 20:01
Hi Tom, brilliant coverage as ever, keep it up. We are now living in Cornwall but have season tickets so will be travelling up every home game. Can you tell me if the parking permits are still available and the price of them? I have tried phoning the shop but no one seems to know. Canít wait for the first game, exciting times. Hope to catch up with you sometime.lottsa luv Sarahx

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 20:26
Sad to report the service in the Lansdown is still very poor, many people spending over 20 minutes for a drink and missing the kick off despite plenty of staff. It's relatively quiet right now, dreading next week so are the club going to address this in time?

The Old Rascal (IP Logged)
24 August, 2018 21:22
Hi Tom,
Oh how I wish you had started this thread at the end of last season before the club upset so many of their loyal supporters with the rebranding fiasco.
This is the first time I have visited this site since the Q + A evening where we had a chat about my grandfather Billy Wring who captained this great club 100 years ago 1918-1919.
I have not purchased a season ticket this season nor have I got a ticket for any games including the opener. This shows how upset i still am at the rebranding and how it was announced.
However i have the greatest respect for you and for what you do for Bristol Rugby and for you to come on an act as a go between may be the encouragement i need to start supporting this club i love so much. Thank you and i look forward to reading yor posts in the future.

TomTainton (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 08:25
Quote:
The Old Rascal
Hi Tom,
Oh how I wish you had started this thread at the end of last season before the club upset so many of their loyal supporters with the rebranding fiasco.
This is the first time I have visited this site since the Q + A evening where we had a chat about my grandfather Billy Wring who captained this great club 100 years ago 1918-1919.
I have not purchased a season ticket this season nor have I got a ticket for any games including the opener. This shows how upset i still am at the rebranding and how it was announced.
However i have the greatest respect for you and for what you do for Bristol Rugby and for you to come on an act as a go between may be the encouragement i need to start supporting this club i love so much. Thank you and i look forward to reading yor posts in the future.

Pleasure to hear from you and glad you're keeping well. I remember that conversation, and your passion for the club, vividly.

Completely understand your feelings but I would urge you to come along to the opening game. It's the sort of occasion that *could* be talked about for many years to come and I'd hate to think a supporter as loyal as yourself would miss out on that experience.

TomTainton (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 08:28
Quote:
Rinkadink
Sad to report the service in the Lansdown is still very poor, many people spending over 20 minutes for a drink and missing the kick off despite plenty of staff. It's relatively quiet right now, dreading next week so are the club going to address this in time?

Yes, this won't be an issue for Bath I can assure you. With this being the first ever rugby friendly staged at Ashton Gate, only one stand open, and it being all pay (ie no clarity of walk up as we would usually) it created longer queues than we would have hoped.

That won't be a problem on Friday or for any Premiership game (oh, and the PA will be fixed too!)

TomTainton (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 08:30
Quote:
Sarzy
Hi Tom, brilliant coverage as ever, keep it up. We are now living in Cornwall but have season tickets so will be travelling up every home game. Can you tell me if the parking permits are still available and the price of them? I have tried phoning the shop but no one seems to know. Canít wait for the first game, exciting times. Hope to catch up with you sometime.lottsa luv Sarahx

Great to hear from you, Sarah. Hope life is treating you well down in Cornwall (thanks for your continued commitment to the club - fantastic!)

For Bath: The only parking we have left for the opening fixture are limited spaces in Pattersons at £10 each, only available by calling Supporter Services on 0117 963 0600 (option one). All other car parks are sold out.

For remainder of season:

We now have limited parking available for Bristol match days. These are available on a first come, first served basis and can be booked by calling Supporter Services on 01179630600, option 1.

Locations & Prices

Winterstoke - £15

Wickes - £12

Avonline - £10

Pattersons - £10

TomTainton (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 08:31
Quote:
tbr
More on merchandise (training/leisure wear) from me please Tom.
And range of sizes. Large sizes in particular.

I see the online store is sllllowwwwwwly being built... and I can't wait until sweatshirts and polos are available.
Or can I?
Alas... I'm already thinking... looking at the hints of sizes that will evvvvennntuallllly be available... that yet again... like the last few years... anyone that is bigger than (the) average (bear) might as well go whistle.
To not sell polos or sweats in anything more than 46 or 48 inch chest size is a bit of a mickey take for rugby fans isn't it ... and real missed open goal in terms of potential revenue loss I'd say?
I did buy a 3xl shirt last year which just about got over my shoulders but became like a toy shirt after its first wash. (At a low temperature I might add... I'm used to cheap rugby polos shrink as soon as they get NEAR a hotpoint).
And it's not as if I'm a giant. 6'3". 15.5 stone. A decent back row size. Hardly a lock or prop. What on earth would THEY wear?!

I really really hope the club or Bristol Sport or whoever see fit to stock and sell 4xl or even 5xl (proper 50" or even 52" or even larger) sizes of polos swears and hoodies this year.
Especially as last year Bristol Sport stocked and sold those sizes to the football and basketball fans... but not (for reasons that utterly bemuse me) to the potentially bigger rugby followers.

Please pull some strings if you can Tom and make it so...

Many thanks.

Tiny.

Thanks for feedback and has been passed onto merchandise team and store manager. Will come back with response.

Current Page: 6 of 29

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net