rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Need to identify the new badge.
Olly (IP Logged)
18 August, 2018 10:10
This is An opinion not a criticism of the rebrand. Much of the new clothing, coats etc have a bear badge with no lettering to identify the club or sport ie Bristol Bears or Bristol Rugby.
Supporters and those associated with the club obviously know what club that represents, where we are and what sport we play. Many others associated with English rugby might have learned of the rebrand but may not recognise the new badge or associate it with Bristol or even a rugby club. The huge majority of people worldwide will not recognise it or even give it a second glance. I've worn various Bristol shirts, polos t-shirts etc from France to Australia and always the club badge with the words Bristol Rugby has been recognised and has often led to some great chats, banter and a good few beers with rugby fans. A plain Bear with no lettering is totally none descriptive and won't be seen or recognised in the same way. That's not only disappointing in my opinion but a big mistake by a club needing to get the new brand and its badge recognised worldwide. Shouldn't we have the words Bristol Rugby or Bristol Bears rugby added to identify the club? Your Thoughts please.

Bristol, like the glass is Blue, Bristol Blue.

Re: Need to identify the new badge.
Colonel1960 (IP Logged)
18 August, 2018 10:16
Quote:
Olly
This is An opinion not a criticism of the rebrand. Much of the new clothing, coats etc have a bear badge with no lettering to identify the club or sport ie Bristol Bears or Bristol Rugby.
Supporters and those associated with the club obviously know what club that represents, where we are and what sport we play. Many others associated with English rugby might have learned of the rebrand but may not recognise the new badge or associate it with Bristol or even a rugby club. The huge majority of people worldwide will not recognise it or even give it a second glance. I've worn various Bristol shirts, polos t-shirts etc from France to Australia and always the club badge with the words Bristol Rugby has been recognised and has often led to some great chats, banter and a good few beers with rugby fans. A plain Bear with no lettering is totally none descriptive and won't be seen or recognised in the same way. That's not only disappointing in my opinion but a big mistake by a club needing to get the new brand and its badge recognised worldwide. Shouldn't we have the words Bristol Rugby or Bristol Bears rugby added to identify the club? Your Thoughts please.

Totally agree olly, the lack of identity on the badge is an issue to me, but i don't want to go back into my 'dinosaur' mode...

Platwell House (IP Logged)
18 August, 2018 10:17
I agree with you. My Bristol Rugby scarf brought upon a great night out in Paris with some Racing fans which would not have happened had I not worn it. I think Bristol Bears wording will come as everything evolves.

Field marshall (IP Logged)
18 August, 2018 11:32
I agree too. The rebrand is here and I am on board, but the badge MUST be accompanied by the word BRISTOL.

bartman! (IP Logged)
18 August, 2018 13:33
Looking at it.
It does say Bristol (in small words) Bears (in larger words) under the face of the Bear?

Peter D (IP Logged)
18 August, 2018 13:38
The badge does have the bear logo and underneath it says Bristol in small print and below that Bears in large print.

Olly (IP Logged)
18 August, 2018 17:03
The pics Iíve seen of the gillet, jacket and polo all have just the bear.

bartman! (IP Logged)
19 August, 2018 14:21
Its quite simple then, if you don't like it don't buy it (Sm100)

Olly (IP Logged)
19 August, 2018 14:55
Quote:
bartman!
Now thatís a Classic case of missing the point if ever I saw one.

elegia (IP Logged)
20 August, 2018 07:46
it's the merch not the kit being talked about
& yes, that's a big miss

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Music/Pix/pictures/2011/7/13/1310579502636/New-Order-left-to-right-G-007.jpg

Brizzler (IP Logged)
20 August, 2018 12:14
Quote:
Olly
Quote:
bartman!
Now thatís a Classic case of missing the point if ever I saw one.

Agree with this and your original post. I think this message was lost when it all kicked off originally and was overshadowed by the emotional comments on the new badge.

One thing I'd ask, rather cynically, is with the way everything was handled leading up to the rebrand, are you surprised? smiling bouncing smiley

Rich. (IP Logged)
20 August, 2018 13:30
I'm sure the real ones for sale will have Bristol Bears under the picture as surely the words are part of the whole badge which I presume (!) the club have copyrighted.....

But in answer to your question Brizzler - absolutely not! But there are signs the whole marketing thing is getting a bit better. The club has never been very good at it or been particularly 'customer'-focused in all the years since I stared supporting (1973) . I remember sitting in the car for about an hour one weekday evening through fog to get to a Bristol v Wasps match, maybe 25/30 odd years ago, and all we were met with was a sign on the locked gate saying 'Match called off - Fog'. And you couldn't buy a replica shirt at all till not that long ago!

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
20 August, 2018 13:55
I'm sure you have been able to buy shirts for many years, I own a child's replica kit from the 1980s for example.

I agree our rebrand has seen an improvement though, long may it continue.

Rich. (IP Logged)
20 August, 2018 14:10
Yes well my 'not that long ago' would certainly include at least the mid 80s!! My kids always find it amusing that my "the other day" can, depending on the context, be a number of years ago.

Peter_B (IP Logged)
20 August, 2018 14:15
If you want to get really cross, try Googling Bristol Football Club.

Peter

C'mon you Bristol Boys!

Olly (IP Logged)
20 August, 2018 15:06
Quote:
Rich.
I'm sure the real ones for sale will have Bristol Bears under the picture as surely the words are part of the whole badge which I presume (!) the club have copyrighted.....
But in answer to your question Brizzler - absolutely not! But there are signs the whole marketing thing is getting a bit better. The club has never been very good at it or been particularly 'customer'-focused in all the years since I stared supporting (1973) . I remember sitting in the car for about an hour one weekday evening through fog to get to a Bristol v Wasps match, maybe 25/30 odd years ago, and all we were met with was a sign on the locked gate saying 'Match called off - Fog'. And you couldn't buy a replica shirt at all till not that long ago!

The pics Iíve seen of the Polo Gillet and coat just have a bear and Bristol sport logo with no lettering present.

Rich. (IP Logged)
20 August, 2018 15:24
Sorry Olly, I meant to add that there have been a number of cases in the past where the products the promo photos show are then finished and improved (& made correct) before the launch. So hopefully this will be another case.

AGS (IP Logged)
20 August, 2018 19:48
Quote:
Rich.
I'm sure the real ones for sale will have Bristol Bears under the picture as surely the words are part of the whole badge which I presume (!) the club have copyrighted.....!

Well if they have copyrighted it, they need to have a word with some other sellers online who seem to have got products produced and to market with the new badge on them quicker than the club itself

tbr (IP Logged)
21 August, 2018 16:44
Quote:
AGS
Quote:
Rich.
I'm sure the real ones for sale will have Bristol Bears under the picture as surely the words are part of the whole badge which I presume (!) the club have copyrighted.....!

Well if they have copyrighted it, they need to have a word with some other sellers online who seem to have got products produced and to market with the new badge on them quicker than the club itself

Which online sellers are these please Louise sorry AG?

Olly (IP Logged)
25 August, 2018 13:31
Went in the shop yesterday and um yea walked straight back out again. Jackets etc with just the bear and Bristol sport logo on and no lettering. Really disappointed I agree you and I know what that represents but sadly the rest of the world doesn't.
Away from the club it's just another meaningless jacket or polo etc with some logos of sorts on the front. No it's not for me so Iíll stick with my old one. With the crest and Bristol rugby in full view.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net