rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ellis
Chet Ripley (IP Logged)
05 September, 2018 21:53
Anyone see the rugby club on BT? Ellis says he will come home!

Re: Ellis
Chet Ripley (IP Logged)
05 September, 2018 22:07
Has tweeted he has at least two years left @ Leicester.

Great interview and honest guy. Well done Ellis.

Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
05 September, 2018 22:16
I don't think it comes to anyone as a surprise that he wants to come back to you guys one day, he clearly loves the place and all his friends and family are there.

Although from a Tigers POV I'm hoping that is more 5 years down the line and not 2 years down the line.

A top bloke and a great Rugby player.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2018 22:16 by Ayerzawannabe.

SparkyBris (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 08:38
I didn't realise Ben Kay is a board member at Tiggers. So the look on his face when Ellis said he'd love to come back was priceless!

Supporting Bristol since... since... Oh, not enough fingers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2018 09:07 by SparkyBris.

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 08:47
I thought all of it was hilariously awkward. He didn't even hesitate or have to think about it

tbr (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 08:54
I loved his answer about asparagus too!
(You'll have to watch it if you didn't see it and don't know what I'm on about).

APPLES (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 09:52
A lot has changed since Ellis left the club....We are a club on the up, with a very different coaching set up. Tigers are a bit all over the place currently.

Ellis is a bristolian and a current england player with champions cup experience.

I would have thought we are doing everything we can to get him back asap. How watertight is that contract? I've seen stranger things happen in sport! Hope to see him back at the gate sooner rather than later! If he wants to achieve things with Bristol it would be better at the peak of his career rather than towards the end!

TimothyQ (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 10:00
SL has previously suggested that he would pay transfer fees for players under contract. Tigers are a bit unstable, Ellis not back until next year and may not renew his contract...it wouldnít surprise me if they would let him go for a fee. It seems theyíre prepared to sell the independence of the professional game, so everything has a price!

Channel2 (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 10:05
I think he would be a liability personally.
Great player of course but he looked like he still has it in him to off.
Get Mako home is a far better strategy.

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 10:15
The big assumption here is that the Bristol would get the same fit, focused and trouble-free Ellis that plays for Leicester and England.

By his own admission, it was an inability to focus and stay out of trouble when he lived in Bristol last time that caused him to leave.

It all comes down to whether the Ellis Genge he is now is more due to maturing as a person, or more down to him being away from Bristol.

Rich. (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 10:39
Quote:
Channel2

Is that fair? As far as I know he's been no trouble since moving to Leicester and no big issues on the pitch. Yes he comes over as cocky etc but many of the best sports people do and I think it is also probably part of the image he chooses to present.

He was but a wee lad when he was here and we all grow up and hopefully people will not continue to judge us based on what we would when we 18-21. I suspect many of us might have problems if they did (me included)

Channel2 (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 10:57
Quote:
Rich.
Quote:
Channel2

Is that fair? As far as I know he's been no trouble since moving to Leicester and no big issues on the pitch. Yes he comes over as cocky etc but many of the best sports people do and I think it is also probably part of the image he chooses to present.

He was but a wee lad when he was here and we all grow up and hopefully people will not continue to judge us based on what we would when we 18-21. I suspect many of us might have problems if they did (me included)

Do you think that as a 24 year old (if he rejoined say next season) he would ignore his previous friends and haunts, which appear to have contributed to his issues ? I don't think that would be possible so as good as he is, he should stay away from Bristol until he is a completely different person, and/or commutes from a village miles away.

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 11:06
I donít quite see Ellis living the village life Channel12

Channel2 (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 11:13
Quote:
Hercules Spoons

Nor me HS ! As much as I would love to see a squad full of local lads, I dont think Bristol suits Ellis as he appears to be right now.

Get the Vunipolas and Atwood home for starters please.

TimothyQ (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 11:20
Quote:
Channel2
Quote:
Hercules Spoons

Nor me HS ! As much as I would love to see a squad full of local lads, I dont think Bristol suits Ellis as he appears to be right now.

Iím sorry but even with our massive war chest, it isnít realistic to expect either of the Vunipolaís to leave Sarries. Maybe in a few years when weíve won something, but I would much rather the club pursues targets who might want to join.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2018 11:21 by TimothyQ.

Brisman (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 11:33
You can take the boy out of Bristol, but you canít take Bristol out of the boy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2018 11:33 by Brisman.

Channel2 (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 11:37
Quote:
TimothyQ
Quote:
Channel2
Quote:
Hercules Spoons

Iím sorry but even with our massive war chest, it isnít realistic to expect either of the Vunipolaís to leave Sarries. Maybe in a few years when weíve won something, but I would much rather the club pursues targets who might want to join.

Fair comment but even those who want to join would cost money if they were any good - what salary difference would you say was between Mako and Ellis for example ?

TimothyQ (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 12:06
I guess itís a quite a bit, but I donít know. The problem is that unless we made him a marquee and busted the bank for him, we would struggle to tempt Mako with $$$ as Sarries spend the cap and he is very important to them. And I doubt we would make a prop who is playing autumn internationals and 6 nations a marquee signing so I canít see it happening until we are successful. The reason we are talking about Ellis isnít because we think heís better than Mako, but because he has just expressed a desire to rejoin Bristol Ďat some pointí.

The reality is that players of his quality are extremely rare, yes there is always someone better, but we need all the quality we can get if weíre to succeed in this league.

Channel2 (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 12:19
Quote:
TimothyQ
I guess itís a quite a bit, but I donít know. The problem is that unless we made him a marquee and busted the bank for him, we would struggle to tempt Mako with $$$ as Sarries spend the cap and he is very important to them. And I doubt we would make a prop who is playing autumn internationals and 6 nations a marquee signing so I canít see it happening until we are successful. The reason we are talking about Ellis isnít because we think heís better than Mako, but because he has just expressed a desire to rejoin Bristol Ďat some pointí.
The reality is that players of his quality are extremely rare, yes there is always someone better, but we need all the quality we can get if weíre to succeed in this league.

I appreciate he expressed the aim of returning, but i'm not sure it is a good fit for him or the club at present.

Olly (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 13:20
Certainly was an interesting chat with him. I suspect being at the Bath game and that atmosphere cemented his feelings. seeing first hand the changes that have happened since he left and what he could now be part of at his hometown club. He even stated that Heíd like to see England play at Ashton Gate. Clearly loves the club and the city but would he be a good fit? He is, without doubt, a fantastic player but I suspect hard work to manage. Would Pat with all his abilities be a good mentor for him? How would he fit into the squad? Would he be disruptive? Could he stay out of trouble? So many questions to which I have no answer.

Bristol, like the glass is Blue, Bristol Blue.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net