rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: Ellis
Rinkadink (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 13:28
He's coming home, he's comimg home... Gengey's coming home!

Seriously though I don't know why anyone would be hesitant except for the man himself due to the off field stuff. Not like we haven't recently signed someone who had huge problems in Japan after being a bit naughty (Smith, if you don't know). We're also in desperate need of fixing our front row still.

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 13:30
I think if Ellis wants to come back it should be on our terms, not his.

As has been pointed out, good player that he is, he isn't a natural fit to our (PL's) ethos.

I can't see that we'll go chasing Ellis and I wouldn't touch Attwood with a pole that pushes barges, he'll go to France as soon as he can anyhow.

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 13:37
As has been pointed out, good player that he is, he isn't a natural fit to our (PL's) ethos.

that may have been the case in the past (and I don't know for sure whether or not it was), but that was over 2 years ago. Judging by his interview, he's done a lot of growing up since then, has acknowledged that he's older and needed to start behaving like an adult and that his previous behaviour wasn't acceptable - he's even giving back by mentoring other kids going through similar difficulties, so that's not exactly the actions of a bad apple. His past indiscretions shouldn't stand in his way - Gav is a good example of a formerly disruptive player who can change his ways, so Ellis shouldn't be viewed any differently.

Olly (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 13:50
Definitely wouldn't want his past to stand in his way.

Bristol, like the glass is Blue, Bristol Blue.

Rich. (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 14:50
I'm surprised by some of these posts to be honest. Ellis has been out and about in Bristol many times since moving to Leicester and have we heard of any problems caused by him? No. Two of my ex teammates were probably worse than Ellis and did time in Youth Detention, and on release both made a conscious effort to avoid going out on the beer with certain mates of theirs - and they have avoided trouble ever since. If you've matured and seen the alternatives (which are very good) it is not too hard to do. He'd also not be living where he did (perhaps with the impact that could have - old friends or adversaries nearby) on the salary we would pay him etc.

For sure both he and the club would have to discuss and assess those old issues before agreeing to a contract, but if both were sure Ellis would not slip back into those old ways then fine.

Whagwan (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 14:55
Wouldn't be the first Knowle boy to get in a bit of trouble as a teen but to grow up to be a decent member of society.

Disclaimer, I'm not from Knowle and was never in any trouble. Oh no, honest...

Platwell House (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 17:02
If Ellis rejoins the club he needs to have a super think first. If he comes back with PL in charge is he going to buy in to what Bristol is now because the club is different to what he left. If Pat wants him and Ellis signs up to the vision Pat goes on about then yes bring him back. Pat won't stand for a repeat of his off field antics however in two years time he will have matured more and will be out of contract.

Gray_Lensman (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 17:59
The thing I noticed is that his comments about leaving emphasise the support he got from the club. This doesn't seem to back up the suggestion made by some that there was ill feeling or a falling out.

NickBeard (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 21:22
He was at the Gate on Friday. He must have been sat there thinking 'I want a bit of this'. Inevitable really. He must feel he has unfinished business here...

NearAshtonGate (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 22:21
Quote:
NickBeard
He was at the Gate on Friday.

Jamal was there too.

robtheh (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 22:36
I think he’d fit our game plan perfectly. Prop who can scrummage and carry to the nth degree.
He’d also fit our culture (as I see it) pretty well: wanting to give something back.

T J (IP Logged)
06 September, 2018 22:52
Quote:
Channel2
Get the Vunipolas and Atwood home for starters please.

Attwood can stay where he is.

inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
07 September, 2018 08:04
Quote:
T J
Quote:
Channel2
Get the Vunipolas and Atwood home for starters please.

Attwood can stay where he is.

Agreed. Actually I would say Gengey DOES fit the Lam culture, whereas Attwood DOESN'T.

Dieselpup (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 12:38
Personally, I applaud any player who publicly states he "wants" to play for a club!

It is clear that a team that has at least some players in it that play for loyalty, passion, desire and not just a paycheck are ultimately more stable and successful, which in the long term drives development and engagement.

Ellis obviously wants to come back and assuming his style fits with the coaches plans when the time is right should be considered. A player with genuine desire and affinity to the badge is worth at least 2 that have none.
Yes, that character has had some issues in the past, but if the club resigned him surely they are doing it with the knowledge that, he will need some pastoral, holistic and supportive care off the field?

I look forward to welcoming him back in due course.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net