rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
George Smith
Earlsbris (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 16:21
Will somebody please tell me if that red card was fair enough. Watching on a semi dodgy stream. To me he wrapped an arm and caught the ball - I thought they were going to say ‘play on’. Shocked at the red and it had ruined a great game

Re: George Smith
TimothyQ (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 16:36
Most angles showed a head to head, but one angle from the back seemed to show shoulder to head. It’s not how the game used to be, but probably correct given the current climate and interpretations.

lostinmordor (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 16:46
Looked like arm to arm to me, then a clash of heads tbh. Though I'm not unbiased. Did kill what was shaping up to be a good game though, albeit one I'd still have expected Saracens to win. They are so ruthless with the ball when they get a chance. Pretty cynical in defence too. How many penalties (given or not) did they commit when we were attacking around the 60 minute mark? Not even a talking to. Can't complain though, better team won in the end.

Encouraging signs though - gave a good account of ourselves at one of the two best teams in the league....

TimothyQ (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 16:48
3 tries against the best team in the league and leading at half time. As 40 pointers go, that was very positive!

youngone (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 16:53
How long will smith be banned for now? Pretty massive blow. As well to have scored 3 tries away at Saracens and be leading at half time and then to go away with 0 points to show for it leaves a pretty sour taste!

lostinmordor (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 16:54
Off topic somewhat but I thought our 9s looked good. Randall is a real livewire, if very raw. Uren though has really impressed me in his last two games. I've never been a fan but he's really stepped up and beginning to change my mind! Still in desperate need of quality props though.....

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 17:03
Only followed the game on Twitter. No shame in that result especially a man down for a decent portion. Would’ve been ideal to come away with a try BP but I’d never have imagined that before the game. Will look forward to analysis and the highlights.

Glow next week will be another big challenge, currently dominating them down the road

TimothyQ (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 17:03
Quote:
youngone
How long will smith be banned for now? Pretty massive blow. As well to have scored 3 tries away at Saracens and be leading at half time and then to go away with 0 points to show for it leaves a pretty sour taste!

High tackle with contact to the head is automatic mid range offence. So it’s a 6 week entry point. Mitigation is up to 50%, so it could be anything from 3 weeks+ depending on his conduct and history.

TimothyQ (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 17:05
Quote:
lostinmordor
Off topic somewhat but I thought our 9s looked good. Randall is a real livewire, if very raw. Uren though has really impressed me in his last two games. I've never been a fan but he's really stepped up and beginning to change my mind! Still in desperate need of quality props though.....

I thought both 9s looked great and Malton looked mint when he came on. O’Connor could be a great find, very pleased with the recruitment from the champ so far, looks like we’ve found some quality players.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2018 17:15 by TimothyQ.

Jay Jay (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 17:14
Radio Bristol thought it wasn’t a card, let alone red. Let’s hope the disciplinary panel think the same.

youngone (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 17:21
My fear is that as they are fairly new laws he will get a lengthy ban to be made an example of. So frustrating! Any idea on his disciplinary record whilst at wasps?

TimothyQ (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 17:50
Quote:
youngone
My fear is that as they are fairly new laws he will get a lengthy ban to be made an example of. So frustrating! Any idea on his disciplinary record whilst at wasps?

They're usually very structured to be fair. I think the hit to head being an automatic mid range offence is new (as well as draconian and unfair but hey ho) so I think the 6 week entry point is already the RFU 'making an example'. Hopefully the panel view things differently to the match officials, but we have to expect to lose players in this league.

Olly (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 18:18
Shame the officials didn’t spot their player shoulder to Wills head that was a deliberate offence and should’ve been a red too.

Bristol, like the glass is Blue, Bristol Blue.

GazzaFez (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 18:26
Quote:
TimothyQ
Most angles showed a head to head, but one angle from the back seemed to show shoulder to head. It’s not how the game used to be, but probably correct given the current climate and interpretations.

This is exactly how I would describe it. Smith's shoulder seemed to connect directly with Jackson Wray's chin. I originally thought it was head to head when it happened, but I had a very good view of the large screen for the multiple replays of the incident and the shoulder to chin connection was the culprit. In my old school view it was a very 'technical' offence but I'm fairly sure that according to the letter of the new laws the call was correct.

ba3bris (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 18:36
Having seen it on BT Sport, he may have been distracted by the attempted dummy pass. Nevertheless, he should have been aiming lower and I'm not surprised it was red. When you know that you're that solid, there's no need to invite trouble.

Barty II (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 19:24
As a Sarries fan sat very close to the big screen...

Looked to me like being one of those that would be called as “lucky to only get a yellow” but a “harsh red” depending on the outcome.

Think that was a bit of a game changer, while I’d expect ya to still have won I thought you were well worth a bonus point or two. Plenty of pride to take away from that and I have no doubt we’ll see you next season!

MGB (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 19:31
Firstly congratulations to Bristol from a Sarries supporter. Smith was magnificent in the first half and made numerous turnovers to nullify several try scoring positions from Saracens and was my man of the match to that point. I thought in real time that the red card was harsh and thought penalty or yellow from where I was. If he had stayed on it would have been a close game. Bristol were well drilled, skillful and physical. You will be alright this season with many scalps to come.

Peter D (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 19:55
A " controversial" red card according to Sky Sports.

Sky Sports

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 22:58
So listening online, TMO says he wants ref to watch... show the first few replays and the ref says that's fine and it's head on head. TMO then plays more replays and says that it's a no arms tackle! Goes quiet between the two for a bit as clear as day the arms are used and he's talking BS... finally TMO finds that other angle and they then look for point of impact. TMO after a while then says shoulder on head ie; red card.

Importantly Will copped a deliberate shoulder shot to what looked like his head whilst pinned in a ruck during the build up to one of the Sarries scores not long after Smith's RC. At least a yellow. Really clear on the footage and no idea why it wasn't flagged (Or why he didn't speak to the ref about foul play). No idea what happened to Madigan but he said very late off ball, TMO said he couldn't find anything at all. Hmm.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 23:01
Will incident was also after ball had been played away from ruck so definitely no need. Potentially a citing or two to come, depends.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net