rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Re: George Smith
Sit_Down (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 08:30
I've now watched the replays of the incident over and over from the same camera angles the officials had. I simply can't conclusively see shoulder direct to head. Not great officiating imo.

Sit_Down (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 08:44
FINALLY found an angle. I'm afraid it was a correct decision. RED.

robtheh (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 10:14
For those who were there (I wasn’t) would you agree with Evely’s assessment of Smith? Gave him 3/10...

neiljk (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 10:21
There is a good replay on ruck.co.uk

bris'd as a fart (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 11:07
My issue with this is consistency. This to me looks no different to the high tackle by Jamie Roberts on Luke Daniels in the first minute of the B**h match last week, which was only given as a penalty. Same height, same angle, same connection. I'm all for them improving player welfare and clamping down on contact with the head but it needs to be reffed consistently.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 11:32
Quote:
robtheh
For those who were there (I wasn’t) would you agree with Evely’s assessment of Smith? Gave him 3/10...
From comfort of TV; 3*3 out of 10.

Motherrucker1982 (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 12:36
I thought up to the Red Card, he was awesome. Made a couple of vital turnovers close to our line in the first half which were simply superb - got us out of jail and as others have said, we were dominating the champions at the breakdown (largely because of Smith).Whilst I agree that a player of his ability and experience should not perhaps be hitting someone so high, I do not believe it was malicious. Was it a red? Debatable - have seen worse unpunished and lesser offences also carded. This for me was a case of what could’ve been and whilst Sarries were probably good for the win even with 15v15 we should definitely have taken some points from the game.
3/10? Not for me - a blot on the copy book but was still bossing it.

KPR (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 13:14
Based on a quick bit of research, think that was first red card of George’s career. Didn’t think it was a red card offence, but what do I know! For me the greatest frustration is the total lack of consistency from the refs, both in this game and on an ongoing basis. Yesterday Itoje was allowed to repeatedly tackle high and not a word or penalty. Yeah, I’m as one eyed as the next person but the impact re Smith was instant and spoilt a fantastic game.

hooter (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 13:34
Perhaps that was the idea, or am I being a bit paranoid!

Ernie Ball (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 13:34
We did experience a lot of unbalanced refereeing two seasons ago - and it tends to be the same for all newly promoted sides in that refs favour the established Prem teams. I was at the match but didn't get a view of the GS incident. So can't comment if a correct decision or not. I just hope the ref got it completely right and he didn't deny us chance of at least a LBP.

hooter (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 13:44
So if he goes to the disciplinary hearing and gets found there was no offence, do we get any compensation as weren't we level at the time.

TimothyQ (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 13:57
Quote:
hooter
So if he goes to the disciplinary hearing and gets found there was no offence, do we get any compensation as weren't we level at the time.

Yes, George Smith will receive a personal apology from the two professionals who were deceived by the multiple replays and the match will be replayed an indefinite number of times until the produces the correct result.

If he's got no previous, I expect the ban to be 6 weeks - 50% mitigation so a 3 week ban. So he'll be back for the Worcester game, you heard it here first.

Furriner (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 15:29
I was pretty close and, although not looking out for it specifically, thought it was ‘one of those things’; ie fast play, Wray makes swift change of direction towards Smith who reacts. I saw Smith’s left arm wrap at just above elbow height but couldn’t see his right arm, and then thought it was two heads colliding. Probably a technical offence but no premeditation.

As for the quality of his game up to that point, he looked at his very best: all round the pitch, several tackles and, most crucially, several successful steals. When did we last see that from a Bris 7?

graham t (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 16:14
For me, because the consequences can be so game changing, a red should only be given if the offence is clear and obvious, which doesn't seem to have been the case here.

CF_Doom (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 19:05
I think we were the only team to not pick up at least a point!!!

I'm really happy with some of the combinations within the squad (purposely trained for different games), I just hope we get a little more luck! Awesome so far, looking forward to next Saturday, which is a good thing smiling smiley

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 19:07
I would be surprised if the match officials are undermined. Irrespective of the rights or wrongs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2018 19:09 by Hercules Spoons.

Brisman (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 19:08
Quote:
CF_Doom
I'm really happy with some of the combinations within the squad (purposely trained for different games), I just hope we get a little more luck! Awesome so far, looking forward to next Saturday, which is a good thing smiling smiley

Our games on Friday night fella.

Big Dave (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 19:21
Well, if there was contact with the head, he had to go. I was 70+ yards away so being there made no difference to my judgement, and I thought the replay wasn't conclusive but, you know what, the ref and touch judges were closer than me AND had the benefit of the TMO.

I like to think we'd have come away with a win, but that was one hell of a bench that they could draw on, even without our being down to 15 men. Another day we'd have got a TBP, but hopefully GS will be back for Quins home and Worcester away. A win in both of those and I think we can start thinking about another season in premiership. Lose both and we'll probably be nervous all the way to the end of the season.

A long way to go yet.

BTW, if we are going to get cards, please can they be given to Tusi Pisi? When he gets carded we win. WOrcester in 2016, B**h this season. More cards for Tusi, please.

CF_Doom (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 19:35
Quote:
Brisman
Quote:
CF_Doom

Our games on Friday night fella.

#ifailed

Field marshall (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 19:50
Having seen it on the summary before the wuss game, I'm afraid to say that it was a red. He'd have been lucky (unjustifiably so) to have got away with a yellow. No malice in it, Wray threw a dummy and had an odd body shape at that moment, it looked like George wasn't sure to pull the tackle or not. As ever, it looked far worse in slow mo.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net