rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Today.
tbr (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 18:16
We were there today and even though Saracens put 40+pts on us, we're (personally) coming away much more heartened than that result should perhaps make us feel.

We all thought we really played hard and fair and gave the Champions a hell of a fright for a while. Until Smith was shown red to be honest.

Randall was a spark when he came on and Haining was a giant as always when he came on too. But we ALL fronted up well today we thought. Really well.

We sat with a couple of friends who are Saracens fans and they were both very much of the opinion (as were many others) that the scoreline flattered them and they were very impressed by us.

Sure the better team (with a fantastic bench to come on!) won, but we did put three tries on them, did even perhaps look like scoring more than three, did play very well for large parts of the game and did (certainly before Smith went off and to some extent after too) give the Champions a lot to think about.

I love our "fight" this year. I love our "attitude".

I don't think anyone will find us a pushover.

And we thought today if we continue to play like that, with that "fight" the results and points we so desperately need, will come soon enough.

Well done Bris. Onward and upward.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2018 18:17 by tbr.

Re: Today.
Peter D (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 18:23
That's really encouraging to hear. Even following on Twitter it sounded like this was the case, but it's good to have it confirmed.

sbu (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 18:26
Bristol will shock a few teams. good luck to them. Sarries game must have been on the list as improbable but ran them close. prediction finish I feel will be mid table. Above Bath😁

ba3bris (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 18:41
Craig Doyle announced to the world on BT Sport that 'Bristol were pummelled'. Pillock.

robtheh (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 19:12
Quote:
ba3bris
Craig Doyle announced to the world on BT Sport that 'Bristol were pummelled'. Pillock.

BT Sport have unrivalled coverage, but they do employ some right idiots.

Brisman (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 19:18
No team is going to steamroller us, we’ll avoid relegation confortably. I’m confident enough about it to put out here on the net. We are back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2018 19:19 by Brisman.

Harrow Sarrie (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 19:46
Quote:
ba3bris

Haven't seen the BT Sport coverage but if that's what he said then he is indeed a pillock. I thought Briz did a great job of getting under Sarries skin all game, and played with gusto when in possession. Would have been interesting to see what the score would have been if it had stayed 15 vs 15.

Well played, and good luck for the rest of the season.

youngone (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 19:56
we looked fantastic up until smiths red card. Dogged in defence and creative and clinical in attack. We didnt even look that bad after the red card, they just had too much class and found all the extra space. If we do that all season we'll surely stay up?!

ba3bris (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 19:58
Quote:
Harrow Sarrie
Quote:
ba3bris

Haven't seen the BT Sport coverage but if that's what he said then he is indeed a pillock. I thought Briz did a great job of getting under Sarries skin all game, and played with gusto when in possession. Would have been interesting to see what the score would have been if it had stayed 15 vs 15.

Thank you. Obviously, I'm biased and followed the game closer than Mr Doyle but it was lazy journalism. Let's hope other teams are just as complacent. 😉

Cidered Abroad (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 20:00
In North Wales on holiday and no signal to get commentary up a mountain. At what time of game did Smith get the red card?

From all comments on here we appear to have been a touch better than the final score would suggest. So far so good?

tbr (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 20:04
Quote:
Cidered Abroad
In North Wales on holiday and no signal to get commentary up a mountain. At what time of game did Smith get the red card?

About 48mins.

TimothyQ (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 20:45
It’s a very positive game. During the Bath vs Gloucester game, one of the pundits (we can probably guess which) said that Bath needed to impose themselves on the game ‘but they couldn’t even impose themselves upon [i]Bristol[i] last week.’ We outplayed Bath for 80 minutes last week and we were leading against (possibly) the best team in Europe after 40 minutes today. Perhaps teams are becoming complacent and struggling against a@#$%&team, or perhaps we’re putting pressure on good teams and forcing them to make mistakes. We shall see over the next 9 months.

Earlsbris (IP Logged)
08 September, 2018 20:49
I thought we looked great today and was gutted about the red card. Game killer. Really hope Smith doesn’t pick up a ban as he was amazing. V impressed with Piers O’Connor - first time I’d seen him play

Dieselpup (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 07:23
Quote:
robtheh
Quote:
ba3bris

BT Sport have unrivalled coverage, but they do employ some right idiots.

As Forigner once said "This is gonna take a little time", Bristol have never been the media darlings and looking at the pedigree of the current crop of ex players that hold microphones (one of which is a serving board member of a prem club!) it will take a while for them to accept that Bristol are a ligitamate top tear team. I mean, look at the reaction of the studio when Ellis Genge stated his desire to play for Bristol again - Priceless!

From their point of view Bristol have been the great pretenders missing promotion numerous times aswell as a straight up straight down a couple of seasons ago. All this coupled with a well know multi millionaire owner who is percieved to be throwing cash at the club in terms of players, support staff and venue. Bristol have not had a great deal of exposure on the media platforms so have been unable to demonstrate their new style and ethos to the masses, that will come in time.

Have patience friends, there is always going to be one or two members of the press who rely their grade E gcse english lit when commentating but he who laughs last laughs longest.

I wait with interest as the season develops and Bristol live up to their potential and a large serving of humble pie will be consumed by the so called rugby inteligencia!

C'mon Briz

Furriner (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 07:41
It was a great game, in spite of Smith’s red. My son and I went because we’d not been to Allianz Park before (nice ground, nice fans) and we expected to witness a humiliating defeat. But Bris were immense. Not perfect, of course (eg dodgy line out in 2nd half), but demonstrated great skill in the forwards and backs, and ruthless in defence. Some people will express concerns about Thiede, but he was up against the best LH in world rugby imo. Yup, I think Pat’s getting it right with this squad.

Re: Today. From a Sarries perspective
mfc (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 07:44
I’d have no worries if I was you about relegation. You got at us for most the game and caused a lot of problems apart from just after halftime through to 10mins after George Smith went off. I enjoyed your offloading, handling skills and physicality. Great game, you made us look fairly ordinary, I was pleased to get a win.

Must say regardless of whether the red was the right or wrong call, I’d prefer that a replacement be brought on after 10mins to get the numbers back to 15 a side.

Maroon Tyke (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 07:50
Quote:
Harrow Sarrie
Quote:
ba3bris

+1 Really good performance, particularly when down to 14. You will give every side a hard time, especially when Piutau & Smith are both back. I confidently predict a top 6 finish for you.

Rich. (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 09:22
I think the surprise they showed with what Ellis said was that he said it there in front of one of his club's directors - it wasn't a slight on us. He appeared to be saying in a blunt way that he will be off at end of the end of his contract in 2 years time which players don't normally admit to

AGS (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 09:30
And just remember that a year ago we struggled to get our win against the Pirates. We've come a long way and think about where we'll be in another 12 months

WheresMeLunch (IP Logged)
09 September, 2018 10:11
As a Saracens fan I was impressed with the way Bristol played. Even when you were down to 14 men a lot of teams would have almost given up the fight. Not Bristol. You kept fighting to the bitter end. You are going to give a lot of teams a tough time. Pat Lam seems to have developed a belief in the team's ability to stay a Premiership side. There must be other teams wondering if they are going down. Keep playing like you are and you will certainly finish at least mid-table.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net