George Smith - Charge dismissed
Peter D (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 21:47
Free to play again immediately.

Tweet from club

Re: George Smith - Charge dismissed
Beer Matt Japan (IP Logged)
11 September, 2018 21:49
Supporting evidence from the Saracens player was a nice touch. "The panel heard evidence from Wray who said that he could not remember whether there was direct contact with his chin; he said that this was a big collision which was well-timed.“

youngone (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 05:31
"In the panel’s view, and taking into account all of its rugby experience, that glancing contact did not pass the red card threshold.”

Great news absolutely, but the panel review almost suggests it shouldn't have been a red card which is a bit frustrating considering ti absolutely ruined what was a fantastically contested game at the time and basically ensured we left there pointless.

tbr (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 06:22
Quote:
youngone
"In the panel’s view, and taking into account all of its rugby experience, that glancing contact did not pass the red card threshold.”
Great news absolutely, but the panel review almost suggests it shouldn't have been a red card which is a bit frustrating considering ti absolutely ruined what was a fantastically contested game at the time and basically ensured we left there pointless.

There must have been many of course... but I can't immediately think of an ACTUAL red card being shown and the disciplinary panel a few days later dismissing the charge and indeed going further and stating that the incident didn't even warrant a red card in the first place.

Has there?

Jimeno (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 06:34
I'm guessing that the difference between the on-pitch decision and the panel decision is the testimony from the Sarries player.

Good for him.

But could he have not said something on the pitch?

Rich. (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 06:56
Woah following that link to the club Twitter and seeing all then comments from various people I can see why this site seems to have less people using it these days - is this site becoming redundant? Can people start their own thread on Twitter or is it all about replying to something the club tweets?

TimothyQ (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 07:16
Jackson Wray, what a bloody good guy.

hooter (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 07:17
Re my comments above

Cidered Abroad (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 07:30
That is a very welcome decision by the panel. It means that George is available for selection for upcoming games and that is a big bonus for Bristol.

As for the defeat at Sarries, that is past. One could make complaints that, as the scores were close at the time of the incident, we may have gained point(s) from the match. However, let's assume that we would have lost but gained a try scoring bonus. So one point lost but Smith available and firing on all cylinders means we now have a better chance for winning four pointers than if he had been suspended.

I'm not a lover of TV technology in any sport. Sporting contests are won and lost on mistakes by players and referees/umpires. The TV worked against us but at least the panel had the courage to overturn it and not just rubber stamp a referees decision.

Onwards and upwards to Glaws and another blood curdling match and atmosphere.

shhandy (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 07:32
Great news - the Glos game shld now be very competitive.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 07:47
Quote:
Rich.
Woah following that link to the club Twitter and seeing all then comments from various people I can see why this site seems to have less people using it these days - is this site becoming redundant? Can people start their own thread on Twitter or is it all about replying to something the club tweets?

You can make a tweet but likely to be unseen unless you have thousands or millions of followers. Twitter has nothing like the depth of discourse here and the amount of characters per tweet is limited. This forum is really valuable, it is without doubt the best place to discuss Bristol and rugby. Twitter is good for information from the club but not discussion and as for Facebook... should delete your account if you have one there. winking smiley

On topic; great and unexpected news. Glos won't be happy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2018 07:48 by Rinkadink.

SparkyBris (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 07:53
Agreed. You can't have a decent discussion on twitter in 140 characters or less! At least in this forum, you can have an opinion (liked or not!!) but also have the space to present an argument for or against.

What a chap Jackson Wray is though. Can't wait for Friday knowing we can field a full and competitive back row. If George can disrupt their breakdown, then we can very much take the wind out of the Glaws sails.

Supporting Bristol since... since... Oh, not enough fingers.

Chickpea (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 07:57
Just a hunch, but wonder if unofficially Bris spoke with Sarries and said we won't raise a citing against Skelton if you support our case? Result is in the past nothing can change that regardless, bans for either players would effect both teams going forward, as I say just a hunch.

Rich. (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 08:08
Thanks Rinky and Sparky. Good to hear this is still the place to chat

Barrybaby - you could possibly have something there. I only saw it on the Channel 4/5 highlights and from that quick view agreed with Flats that it was a red card any day of the week + most on here who had examined it said they unfortunately thought it was a red under the current guidance/directives to refs. I've not seen the Skelton incident but comments on here suggested it was more clear-cut that George Smith's. Your idea could certainly explain why Wray said nothing on the day to the ref (though it could also be that his head wasn't quite functioning fully at that stage)............. Anyway just conjecture!

All that said, I'm not sure the two clubs would risk coming to such a deal as I suspect there would be sanctions if it was ever discovered. No doubt Sarries would be fined £10,000 and we would be docked 20 points!

Peter D (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 08:36
You can have a conversation on Twitter, and the length of what you can say is limited - although not to 140 characters but 280 now. But it is not designed, or particularly suitable. However, social media of all sorts is making forums such as this somewhat niche.

Barty II (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 09:00
Quote:
Jimeno
I'm guessing that the difference between the on-pitch decision and the panel decision is the testimony from the Sarries player.
Good for him.

But could he have not said something on the pitch?

Given that he was found to be concussed/momentarily unconcious, and failed the HIA his mind was probably elsewhere! Surely you can forgive him for not immediately leaping to Smith's defence?

Don't suppose this will change any opinions of Sarries either... one day we might not be seen as a bunch of cheats and thugs!

Anyway, would like to reiterate how well I think you played, and what a brilliant away support you have. Best of luck for the season, you'll be just fine I'm sure.

Furriner (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 09:15
But now look what he’s done: TWO citing officers have been appointed for the Glaws v Bris match! They must be expecting an explosive affair.

Field marshall (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 09:20
Quote:
Don't suppose this will change any opinions of Sarries either... one day we might not be seen as a bunch of cheats and thugs!

That's not my opinion of Sarries, nor has it ever been. I'm not a huge fan of schalk burger mind you.......

hooker 72 (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 09:20
Furriner, I think one of the citing officers is ex bath prop Duncan bell, so not sure if he’s learning hence the two listed citing officers.

Hercules Spoons (IP Logged)
12 September, 2018 09:21
I admire the panel for having the courage to make this decision.

Barty - I think most of us on this board have an admiration for Sarries, they play entertaining rugby have a good club ethos - they are the only club to have a consultant philosopher and their own secondary school (in a 'difficult' area too).

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net