rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

taking up coaching
Jim H (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 14:18
Due to a losing some of my lads coaches I'm being asked to help out with the U8s at our club. Does anyone else do it? I'm basically clueless at the moment so need so decent sources of ideas & drills for them to do.

Also, does the community team have an area it's restricted to? I don't recall ever seeing anything from Bath at the club (Melksham) and quite like the idea of Bristol poaching a few supporters! :-)

Re: taking up coaching
Rich. (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 14:48
Good on ya Jim. I did it for a few years starting with kids around 6 years old. I'll try to think and write down good drills we did when I get the chance but if I were you I'd also contact local RFU person who organises the youth rugby coaching courses etc. He/she will have a load for sure.

Not sure re the area thing though my nephew is at Bris Uni and they had Rhys Priestland and others from Bath come over to do training with them in his first year so I assume this indicates there are no firm boundaries (unless Unis are looked at differently than combination clubs). Again ask that same person is no-one on here knows 100%.

SparkyBris (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 16:00
My Son plays U8's at Cleve. Bulldogs (with tag belts!) is a favourite and you can change it up by making the runners have to do certain things as they run (forward roll/heel flicks etc). As the defenders build up, get them to start thinking about their 'flat line' so runners don't completely ghost through them.

'Dead Flies' is another one - its a bit like tag/stuck in the mud but with a ball. Gets them used to running with the ball in 2 hands. Again, you can change it up by introducing tasks to do when the whistle sounds - pass to another player, score a try and then pick up another players ball and so on. It encourages them to think on their feet and also watch out for other runners.

Use your imagination. You'll get a feel for what they're good at and as they pick things up, you'll come up with variations.

Most importantly. Have fun.

Supporting Bristol since... since... Oh, not enough fingers.

Sit_Down (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 16:34
Quote:
Jim H
Due to a losing some of my lads coaches I'm being asked to help out with the U8s at our club. Does anyone else do it? I'm basically clueless at the moment so need so decent sources of ideas & drills for them to do.
Also, does the community team have an area it's restricted to? I don't recall ever seeing anything from Bath at the club (Melksham) and quite like the idea of Bristol poaching a few supporters! :-)

I've been coaching for 20 years across mini's juniors and Seniors. The best advice I can give is get yourself onto a Rugby Ready course with the RFU, tap into coaches in the age groups above who have done it and google, google, google.

Furriner (IP Logged)
13 September, 2018 17:05
Try ‘’Rugbycoachingweekly.net’ as one source. As the name implies, it demonstrates a handful of drills each week, and you can google the back copies. I don’t live in God’s Own Westcountry anymore, but our regional RFU does a lot for coach development, so I’d expect the same to apply everywhere.

Good luck, time well spent.

BigO (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 12:39
You'll love it Jim. I started coaching at U7s and am now on the U13s.

Best advice I could give you.... pretty much as the guys have said above.... is (1) spend time with the coaches in the age groups above and see what worked best for them, (2) do Rugby Ready and if possible the RFU Level 1 ticket (three day course, but well worth it), (3) as said above, there's tons on-line, especially if you get access to the RFU resources (you'll need to do a course first to get access to most of it). I always thought the southern hemisphere stuff was the best, so look out for that on YouTube.

Only other advice is keep it simple and get them playing as much game time as possible. That's what my lot always seemed to enjoy when they were that age... and where as a coach you can make the most difference if you make it fun.

On what Bristol can give you.... I've tried to get players down to help with coaching, but it was painful and I gave up in the end. On the flip side, B&8h have in the past thrown a few people at us.

Jim H (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 14:34
Thanks for the advice, will speak to the other coaches at the club and get on a course asap.

Chris holi (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 14:41
Been coaching for about 5 years now, current age group is u8's like you. Just took place in an U8's & U9's CPD last Monday at Old reds, that would of been perfect for you! Our course was taken by Dave Hilton and was actually great fun! U7's and U8's rugby you just want to teach them pass backwards, run forwards, get tags and have lots of fun!
Bulldog seems to be a game they love during training and is good for defence work (keeping a line) looking for space to run into and tagging (we use tag belts during).
Rugby Netball is another good game for warming up etc although encourages the ball to be thrown forward. Best method I have for training is to put them in live games reminding them if offside, passing forward or stepping out of touch.
During games against other clubs it's good to talk to the oppositions coaches beforehand to work out how to enforce the rules (usually a bit more lenient at the start of the season).
Biggest thing is let the kids have fun, that's the easiest way to keep a good happy team together.
Hope you enjoy coaching as much as I do
Rugby ready is a must really as is minimum requirement for coaching

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2018 14:42 by Chris holi.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net