rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Very poor tonight
Wickerman (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 20:23
Fortunate that Gloucester were so poor first half ,but obviously couldn’t continue to be that bad.We were v poor all night.
Lam needs to realise v quickly that you can’t play 7’s rugby in the premiership,you have to mix it up at least a bit.
He needs to settle on a first fifteen ,3 scrum halves in 3 weeks is madness,unfortunately the lad tonight would be light weight in a colts team and needs to significantly improve his kicking, but for me not up to this level by a mile.
The restarts were horrendous both ways,we kicked too long with no pressure on the defence ,and let the pressure us on their kicks.
So disappointed,I fear it will again be a long season and hope we can finish above the bottom position.
The Next two weeks will be a very big indicator of how this season will go.

Re: Very poor tonight
Knowle Blue (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 20:35
It’s plain to see that our penalty count is far to high. How can professional players not understand the basics! I do feel we are able to win some games however, but the coming in from the side, forward passes, knock on’s, all these things add up over 80 mins, and any half decent team will exploit these errors

Motherrucker1982 (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 20:46
Whilst I’m all for the ‘backing yourself’ if it’s on, tonight it was rarely ‘on’ and we conceded at least 2 tries when we just needed to get rid. The players are looking tired and cannot keep this up - we just don’t have the quality to keep playing like this. When Glos came out firing in the 2nd half, we should have gone for some territory but kept flinging it about in our own half resulting in more pressure and ultimately penalties and a yellow card. Pat seems a knowledgeable and intelligent guy - surely he isn’t telling them to do this?
We looked decent for the latter 20 mins of the 1st half but there are 2 teams in a game and when glos changed their tactics in the 2nd half, so should we (at least until we had some possession/territory).
That was a humbling that IMO was needed - we have the talent but this isn’t going to be a walk in the park and we need to start mixing up our game. 3 massive games coming up now. Whilst I’m all over the ‘top 6’ chat and think we still could do it (most teams will lose away at Glos/Sarries), we’ve got to survive as well!!
Disappointed tonight - thought we’d struggle to win but after the 1st half we were right in it. Maybe we’ve flattered to deceive these first 2 games but I feel again this was an opportunity lost.
Well at least it still remains a rollercoaster being a Bris fan!!

robtheh (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 20:46
I think that we’ve tweaked what we were doing last season, and the guys are getting used to that.
The big thing to me is that we don’t look to be too independent on the pitch. We seem to revert to “just stick to the plan”.
The starting XV thing is an odd one: all the players who’ve played thus far have given a very good account of themselves, in my view.
We need to be more consistent in our application of what we’re trying to achieve.
And it’s all not helped by the standard of refereeing: there are so many who look at us more closely than they do the other team. It’s not The Reason why we’ve lost games, but it really doesn’t help.
I’m also of the opinion that Glos will be up there at season’s end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2018 20:47 by robtheh.

Slaphead (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 20:57
Gloucester are a very good team. And so are we. Its early in the season. Keep the faith.

Any chance we can persuade both Ellis Genge and Jake Poledri to return home next season?

hooter (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 20:59
Even the commentators where questioning some of the penalties given against us come the end.

Bristol Ian (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 21:03
No one player cost us tonight - not even a yellow card. Plenty of teams will experience the same. Overall, Pat seems to be very strong in coaching a 'system' and players are expected to fit the system - so rotating players shouldn't be an issue. Having said that, in my opinion we will see our 'strongest' team for our home games (and we've had two very tough away games) - let's see where we are after two home/two away games before saying "we're a poor team".

Slaphead (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 21:03
George Smith is trying too hard. Maybe rest him for the next match. The penalty / card count will reduce for sure.

T J (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 21:12
2nd half was very poor - as poor as I’ve seen from us for a long time. Our attacking play seemed to have no structure or plan at all, other than “pass it to the bloke standing next to you and see what he can do with it.” Compare that with Glaws’ attacking play and it was like chalk and cheese.

I don’t like picking on individuals, but as our “superstar” Unfortunately for me Madigan isn’t having enough influence on the game or controlling the tempo of our play the way someone like Cipriani does.

Stirzaker irritates me because he falls into the bracket or scrum halves who can’t pass the ball without taking 2-3 steps sideways first.

Big reality check tonight, but games against the likes of Newcastle, Wuss, Sale will be a more accurate representation of where we’re at than Glaws & Sarries.

NearAshtonGate (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 21:14
I like that Pat is giving the majority of the squad some game time in these early matches so that they know the standard that is required of them. I don't know if he will continue with this rotation throughout the season but I think it's good man management - a vote of confidence to all. We've won one home game and lost two away games after three matches. I would have taken that at the start of the season.

robtheh (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 21:17
Quote:
T J
...I don’t like picking on individuals, but as our “superstar” Unfortunately for me Madigan isn’t having enough influence on the game or controlling the tempo of our play the way someone like Cipriani does.
Stirzaker irritates me because he falls into the bracket or scrum halves who can’t pass the ball without taking 2-3 steps sideways first.
Big reality check tonight, but games against the likes of Newcastle, Wuss, Sale will be a more accurate representation of where we’re at than Glaws & Sarries.

We don’t seem to attack off ten as much as some others.
Thought Madigan was good tonight; bit of variety.
Sheedy looked out of his depth until about ten left, in my view: couldn’t cope with the rush.
Agree on Stirzaker: he’s the only one of our signings I’ve been a little disappointed with thus far.
And agree with the last comment too, absolutely.
Will be interesting to see how our fitness holds up: tonight’s the first time I’ve seen us blowing this season.

French Hoops (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 21:29
Quote:
robtheh
Quote:
T J
...I don’t like picking on individuals, but as our “superstar” Unfortunately for me Madigan isn’t having enough influence on the game or controlling the tempo of our play the way someone like Cipriani does.

We don’t seem to attack off ten as much as some others.
Thought Madigan was good tonight; bit of variety.
Sheedy looked out of his depth until about ten left, in my view: couldn’t cope with the rush.
Agree on Stirzaker: he’s the only one of our signings I’ve been a little disappointed with thus far.
And agree with the last comment too, absolutely.
Will be interesting to see how our fitness holds up: tonight’s the first time I’ve seen us blowing this season.

i disagree about Sheedy: i thought he was excellent. Stirzaker though is clearly taking time to settle...

I HOPE that the analysis above - ie Lam pretty much gave up Sarries and Glaws away as lost causes, so lets use those two games to ensure the first team squad really get to feel what they are up against - is correct. If so, we'll see what beneficial effect that has in the next, crucial 3 game block

lizard118 (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 21:49
I think naivety and lack of concentration cost Bristol tonight. Played really well in the first half , going through the phases and keeping ball in hand.

Second half Bristol showed naivety and and should've anticipated a backlash from Gloucester. However lack of concentration shown in the second half when the restart is not secured and Gloucester seized the initiative and scored in the first minute of first second half.

I know you want to play a certain style but why did Bristol persist in trying to play from their own try line when it was easier to just clear your lines? It just smacked of either arrogance or naivety?
This is premiership rugby and the sooner Bristol understand this the better, otherwise it might be a long season. I just thought making the right decisions in terms of when to play and when to kick was the difference in the end. That playing in your own half stuff is energy sapping.
Bristol should be fine but I think the club needs a change of tactics. Play a lot more in th right areas and conserve energy. Otherwise you expose yourself to injuries defending so much.

Peter D (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 22:00
We were very poor in the second half. Which was a shame because we were good in the first. Keeping the ball in hand and moving it quickly worked in the first half. It didn't in the second, partly because we didn't exercise the same control of the ball and partly because Gloucester put more pressure on us. However, we should be able to change the way we play. It was obvious on occasions that we needed to kick but we carried on throwing the ball around when that was an option doomed to failure. We do need to be more pragmatic. That was another game where we wasted the opportunity to get a bonus point. We need to be smarter and more disciplined.

Brizzle (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 22:37
Sometimes you just need to kick the bl**dy ball out, why we tried to run it out in the 22 so many times is beyond me.
Very disappointed on tonight, thought we could have kept it close after first half but again sadly let in an early try , always on the back foot after that.
Could do better .....

Bristapo (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 23:13
We even tried to run the ball out from the try line after the clock went past 80 and gave Matt Banahan his try...should have kicked it out as we had already lost and the extra points against add up at the end of the season.

Field marshall (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 23:36
Flatman really dislikes us, like really can't give us any credit for anything. Shame, I really quite like the bloke otherwise.

Defence is pretty good but the game plan shocking. we are not an exhibition team and as some here correctly point pragmatism is required. Play what's in front of you. We don't appear to have an exit plan and it is biting us. Players without the skills to play the quick passing game need to be instructed to tuck it up their jumper rather than do a poor job. That play at 44 mins (less the forward pass) is how we should be doing it, rather than the straight along the line predictable stuff.

Thought O Connor offered little threat and Joyce got flattened by backs a few times, he needs to be a more muscular, hard hitting player. Randall is completely unprepared for this level, he was a liability.
mads mixed - more leadership required.

Pisi had a good game, as did Afoa. Vui was phenomenal. Luatua and Smith were fantastic and I thought George was unfairly penalised a number of times. He kept Cipriani quiet for a lot of the game, its no coincidence he really came to life during georges 10 minutes rest. Piutau, Edwards and Morahan were good/OK. Our major weakness remains in the front 5. Vui works brilliantly as an extra 6 but needs a great big horrible lump next to him.

This Glaws team is very good particularly Slater who was exceptional and despite my overall opinion of him, 12T was very good also, Polledri too. Slow clap to whoever decided not to sign him. Braley is unremarkable, he hasn't really kicked on. I do think Glaws will be right up there this season, and bloody good luck to them. they are a class outfit and deserved the win. When Mostart etc turn up they'll be outright scary.

Ultimately another game we got zero from and deservedly so.

tbr (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 05:07
Naive and one dimensional I think last night. Perhaps worryingly so.
But I'm only going to start getting really worried if (IF) we haven't gone into the new year with 4 wins under our belts...

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 05:51
We showed our naivety when the clock went red, and we tried to run it out from under our own posts, risking further injuries. There was no possibility of taking any points from the game, and we have 19 games left. We need to be professional and smart, not thinking like some plucky u11 team trying to salvage pride.

SparkyBris (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 06:28
We tried to force too much at times rather than play simple rugby. I’ve always liked the old adage “they can’t play without the ball” but the Glaws defence was good enough to keep us moving backwards when we did have it, so never crossed the gain line! At these times, when you’re pinned in the 22, you’ve got to clear and get a little breathing space.

I think O’Connor looked good a 15 again and Randall offered glimpses of what he can be capable of.... this was just the wrong game to start him in. Sheedy controlled nicely when he came on but was always doomed against a defensive line (and attacking at times) that was going backwards!

Next week we need to cut out the silly mistakes, get the penalty count down as Quins will punish us otherwise.

Supporting Bristol since... since... Oh, not enough fingers.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net