rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining!
BristolFan101 (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 22:21
Yes, we lost, and we gave away far too many penalties, BUT, let’s not forget how far we’ve come. If someone had said to me a month ago -

1) You’ll beat Bath
2) You’ll lead Sarries at half time (away from home)
3) You’ll lead Glaws at half time (away from home)

I would have told them to behave!

Ok, the results didn’t ultimately didn’t go in our favour, but the passion/effort the team has shown has filled me with confidence and optimism that we will stay up!

The past few games really have been David versus Goliath, let’s see how we fair against the lower half of the league before casting too much judgement.

I appreciate I’m open to critism here, but I’m trying to remain grounded/realistic in regards to our expectations this year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2018 22:22 by BristolFan101.

Re: Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining!
Bristol Ian (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 22:23
I agree with that - no criticism from me!

Capstan (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 22:49
2 more tight heads in the wars,not what I'd call a silver lining.

BristolFan101 (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 23:06
I agree completely, the injury woes are unfortunate and worrying. However, my comments above were reference the results/efforts of the team as a whole in the face of adversity.

I still stand by my title of “silver lining” in the sense that, yes we lost, but the pride and team effort was commendable, and we shouldn’t forget our journey.

I’m seeking positives umongstt the negatives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2018 23:07 by BristolFan101.

Beer1234 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 08:27
Yep! Totally agree. I was a bit surprised by the really negative stuff on Twitter & on here.

The only thing that had me shouting at the TV was needlessly giving away the last try when time was up and the game lost.

TimothyQ (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 08:51
Rugby players get injured. It’s also a major positive that he the scrum functioned as well as it did, but we do have a long way to go at the moment.

Chet Ripley (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 08:58
Yes, dismantling the Glos scrum in the first half was very encouraging!

Cidered Abroad (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 10:03
Twice we've led at halftime away to two top sides.
Twice, we've been brushed aside in the second half.
Extenuating circumstances perhaps in both games.
Our game plan works well until the better clubs have sussed us out.

So is our real problem that either our players are unable to play our game plan for eighty minutes, or do we need a plan B, to defend a lead, especially away from home?

EverOptimistic (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 11:08
Silver linings for me:

a) with the exception of injured players plus Cullen, NFW, Tovey and Cosgrove, every one of our senior squad has had 1st team game time. IMO all part of the grand plan for this first block of games.

b) Thought our scrum would struggle last night and it didn't. Defence of rolling maul pretty good too.

c) We have some special players to come back from injury

Peter D (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 12:35
Quote:
EverOptimistic
Silver linings for me:
a) with the exception of injured players plus Cullen, NFW, Tovey and Cosgrove, every one of our senior squad has had 1st team game time. IMO all part of the grand plan for this first block of games.

b) Thought our scrum would struggle last night and it didn't. Defence of rolling maul pretty good too.

c) We have some special players to come back from injury

Agree with this. Johan Ackerman, speaking about our style made the point that it will bring Charles Piutau into the game when he gets back from injury. I think that's probably right. If we're able to get him into games he'll be a threat to most defences.

Peter_B (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 12:51
I think Gloucester had to up their game to pretty much their best game to win the 2nd half. Pity we couldn’t keep up the concentration to the end but the 1st half was very enjoyable.

Brilliant try from Monaghan.

We were unlucky with a few decisions, Flats mentioned a neck roll but to be fair I didn’t see it and there were a few high tackles not penalised towards the end of the 2nd half.

Peter

C'mon you Bristol Boys!

John Tee (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 13:15
I think you'll stay up....and that has to be the goal to build on.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net