rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Re: Has Pat Lam lost the changing room?
chuckynut (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 20:03
My take on it is that Worcester were very good today. Excellent line speed in defence. Quick to the breakdown then excellent at slowing it up. Dominant in the scrum. Well placed kicks.

They were very good and, after their performances over the last 3 weeks, could be the surprise package of the season. I hope they are, think any team that has had to endure multiple seasons in the championship deserves a break.

You can pick multiple holes in our performance today and I'm sure the coaching staff will but take nothing away from Worcester.

higgy365 (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 20:58
Wuss had a good (great) day, you guys had a bad day, but you値l have better ones. I do think you guys will be bottom third but there痴 no way of telling where you値l be within that.

As a Saints fan I知 starting to think we値l be tussling with you in that bottom third come season end too.

Nerdish Obsessive (IP Logged)
07 October, 2018 21:04
Did PL ever buy into Landowns nightmare?

MarchingIn (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 00:22
Quote:
airdog
this was Worcester after all not Ex/Sarries

Worcester who have won at Welford Road twice in 2 years, beat Exeter at Sandy Park last year, and put 31 points past Saracens at Allianz Park last December.

No easy games or nailed on relegation sides in this league.

expectingrain (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 07:12
No easy games? I sure Worcester will have considered that an easy game

Warrior7 (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 08:54
For the record my post was genuine, I don't really post about anything but the games.
I wouldn't like to see either of us/Bris/Newcastle go down as we've all had so many seasons of disappointment and hover around the bottom. Plus you have a quality coach who will get used to the premiership, with good players to come back from injury so I think you'll stay up.
As soon as you get a fullback that is not Zane Kirchner back to fitness and play Searle at 10 I think it'll go a lot better for you from what I've seen of this season. Good luck for the rest of the season (Apart form against us).

memnoch (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 08:58
Quote:
Warrior7
For the record my post was genuine, I don't really post about anything but the games.
I wouldn't like to see either of us/Bris/Newcastle go down as we've all had so many seasons of disappointment and hover around the bottom. Plus you have a quality coach who will get used to the premiership, with good players to come back from injury so I think you'll stay up.
As soon as you get a fullback that is not Zane Kirchner back to fitness and play Searle at 10 I think it'll go a lot better for you from what I've seen of this season. Good luck for the rest of the season (Apart form against us).

I知 not sure Wasps would be too happy with Searle playing at 10 for us as he signed for them at the start of the season. I think you mean Sheedy.
I think Madigan was off form yesterday, and maybe we should have started with Sheedy.

Warrior7 (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 12:02
Quote:
memnoch
Quote:
Warrior7

I知 not sure Wasps would be too happy with Searle playing at 10 for us as he signed for them at the start of the season. I think you mean Sheedy.
I think Madigan was off form yesterday, and maybe we should have started with Sheedy.

Apologies, I did mean Sheedy.

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 12:41
Could it be that this game was one too many for some players? This first block of 6 games has been fairly intense and it's possible that some players simply need a rest. I'm not saying that it's right, but perhaps there were some with one eye on a bit of RnR when the Wuss game looked out of sight.

Thankfully, we've now got the Euro and Prem Cup fixtures to rotate the squad and get those who've turned out for the last 5 or 6 matches back to full fitness and in the right mental space when the Prem starts back up again in a month's time. Lord knows, we'll need to be there, because otherwise Exe will put 100 points on us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2018 12:41 by Standardprocedure.

Arjay (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 12:52
Quote:
Standardprocedure
Could it be that this game was one too many for some players? This first block of 6 games has been fairly intense and it's possible that some players simply need a rest. I'm not saying that it's right, but perhaps there were some with one eye on a bit of RnR when the Wuss game looked out of sight.

My thoughts exactly, I haven't checked on the amount of time each has played but I'm sure it may have been a factor. I know that they are professionals but it is only human nature, shame that Wuss didn't do the same.

Big Dave (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 13:45
I am sure that has a lot to do with it. As posted elsewhere we are short of quality in the front 5 so ageing players are having to do a lot.

But it's only just October.

BigO (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 14:05
Pre-season started on June 1st. Maybe that's a factor?

youngone (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 08:03
Still feeling a bit broken from saturday... that was a tough away day! As many others have said you can't get away from two things:

1. worcester were great
2. we were not up for it at all and could not establish a change of tactics when our plan A was spectacularly failing

I said before hand that the game would be won by the team that turned up mentally and that was definitely Worcester. At present, not one part of me is worried that the wheels are off the cart and everything is about to go @#$%& up. I think if anything, such a damaging day for the team will bring PL's talk of culture and team spirit into focus and could turn out to be a good thing for the team in the long run (heres hoping)

Watching the game i would say we looked lethargic at the breakdown (you would never have thought George Smith and Steven Luatua were playing in the back row on saturday) Madigan was either over committed to a game plan or was exposed as one dimensional as we looked directionless until sheedy came on. I like Piutau as an attritional 12 but he threw loose passes and never looked like going through or putting anyone through a gap. i am sure bedlow or o'conor are worth a crack at 12 following that game. Kirchner really added nothing at FB and it was a shame we couldn't have picked anyone else at FB and edwards coming on when your putting in a big defensive shift isn't ideal.

Anyway, thats as much remembering of that day i can bare for now. Going to re-engage the blind optimist and hope this European break is just what is needed right now.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 08:08
Pat in one of the club's latest videos;

[youtu.be]

I think that's fair and looking forward to see how we respond.

10 October, 2018 11:31
And yet in another video on twitter this morning, he's giving a talk/clinic to GB hockey. Can't help but think that after an absolute tonking at the weekend, 100% of his focus should be on us, not others

Rich. (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 12:18
Quote:
Standardprocedure
And yet in another video on twitter this morning, he's giving a talk/clinic to GB hockey. Can't help but think that after an absolute tonking at the weekend, 100% of his focus should be on us, not others

I'm sure that was arranged a while ago.

Just on tiredness (physical and perhaps mental to some extent) when not being red or yellow carded hasn't our 38 year old semi-retired flanker played the full 80 mins of all the games he's been in (which I think has been all of the Prem ones)

I also wonder to what extent our players have full bought into this top 6 thing. The downside to that being the goal for this season (if that is really what is trumpeted to them) is that the Worcester match may have (simply) been another away game to our players, whereas I知 sure the Worcester players saw it as a key relegation battle match. That could have had an impact on defensive speed and aggression as well as focus

chuckynut (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 12:42
Quote:
Standardprocedure

Yeh, you're right - obviously no value in spending time with coaches of other sports.

10 October, 2018 13:11
I'm not saying that there's no value at all, but it's at a time when perhaps his attentions ought to be fully focussed on righting wrongs to avoid being bottom of the pile. I also appreciate that this was no doubt booked in advance, but it just irks me, is all

Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 13:53
Quote:
Rich.
Quote:
Standardprocedure

I'm sure that was arranged a while ago.

Just on tiredness (physical and perhaps mental to some extent) when not being red or yellow carded hasn't our 38 year old semi-retired flanker played the full 80 mins of all the games he's been in (which I think has been all of the Prem ones)

I also wonder to what extent our players have full bought into this top 6 thing. The downside to that being the goal for this season (if that is really what is trumpeted to them) is that the Worcester match may have (simply) been another away game to our players, whereas I知 sure the Worcester players saw it as a key relegation battle match. That could have had an impact on defensive speed and aggression as well as focus

I think you are a bit off the mark Rich. I don't think wuss in any way "upped" their defence. In fact, I think they had the third best defensive record going into the game.
Apart from the away win at Welford road all their defeats had been by single score margins, all of which could have gone either way.

Have a listen to flat's podcast his review of our game comes about 60 mins in and although I don't agree with his making the Bears now favourite for the drop I do agree with his observation on Bristol failure to value territory and field position.

Our line out has struggled on our own throw this year but it wasn't until the 43rd minute of the match that we actually got to throw in.

Nobody scores tries in their own third. If you've got a lightweight mobile pack, running the ball out of defence is fine. If you haven't all you end up with is knackered piano shifters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2018 14:24 by Southstand(again).

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 13:54
Quote:
Standardprocedure

Fair comment, and one presumably borne out of years of experience on the coaching staff of a professional sports team.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net