rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document
 

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Reality check.
Olly (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 00:54
No I wasn’t there I sat and forced myself to watch the game to the bitter end. I was expecting a tough day at Worcester as they have been playing well but not gaining the results deserved and with several first choice players returning it made me think this wasn’t going to be easy, but that hurt. I wasn’t expecting a right Royal spanking.
Worcester played us off the park and Marco was superb for them. As for Bristol well less said the better I think.
Ok there have been many stupid comments made some I can well understand many I can’t and some regretable ones, probably made in the heat of the moment. But the simple reality is that we have all been brought down to earth with a gert big bump. But we do what we have to do, we move onwards we must learn from it and quickly improve our game and game management or suffer our fate. Its that simple. There is no room for sentiment it’s win or lose, do or die stuff. The enemies have seen a chink in the Bristol Armour that only we can fix.



Bristol, like the glass is Blue, Bristol Blue.

 
Re: Reality check.
Cunning Stunts (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 08:33
You’re kind of right. With the benefit of time and IF the players sort themselves out then it may just be a blip and a reality check but having sat in the ground for all of it, it was the single worst Bristol performance I’ve ever seen. And I’ve seen a bloody lot of poor performances in the last 30 years!
There was no heart or passion shown in even trying to stop the rot. The high paid “leaders” didn’t seem to be there. Madigan was absolutely shocking from the start, Luatua and Smith were anonymous.
There was no shape in attack at all, all of our intricate play just disappeared and we returned to shipping on a ball with no direction until we got stung by an inevitable interception.
Of course sacking Lam etc is seriously OTT and I’m sure he’s seething on the inside. I hope that the players are just fu**ed from playing a lot of minutes in the last 6 weeks and will be rejuvenated by the break but this was WAY too bad to be just a “reality check”.

 
Re: Reality check.
St00 (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 11:29
I was at the game. Haven't seen anything back on TV.
Frankly this looked a game too far for a lot of players. Nearly all the guys who have played well in the last few weeks were well below par.
We were scrummaged off the pitch and had a few lineout wobbles too. We missed tackles for the early Wuss tries and then we panicked in possession when we were chasing the game. I lost count of the number of low probability offloads we attempted.
2nd half was actually much better and we had more than enough opportunities to score tries for a try bonus but a combination of poor support play and fluffed basic skills under pressure meant we let them all go begging.

Bigger picture:
- 10 points from the first 6 games puts us on course for survival. Just.
- We've seen some players with question marks against them step up and look, at times, pretty comfortable at this level (Holmes, Uren, Sheedy, O'Conor, Edwards).
- We have a break now to reassess, recover and go again. The coaching team need to use the time well.

 
Re: Reality check.
Big Dave (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 13:47
It was not as bad as Newcastle at home and Leicester away in 2008/09, Henley away in 2003/04, Sale away and of course B**h away in 1997/98!

It was bad, though. Bad, bad, bad.

 
Re: Reality check.
Big Dave (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 13:48
And how could I forget Worcester away in 2010 and of course the LW away leg in 2014?

 
Re: Reality check.
tbr (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 16:17
Quote:
Big Dave
It was not as bad as ....Henley away in 2003/04....

I wrote the match report here for that one if I remember correctly.

Back when I could remember my original log in details...

Edit.

Yeah.

Yeartis.

Jeezus.

[www.rugbynetwork.net]



Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2018 16:29 by tbr.

 
Re: Reality check.
Big Dave (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 18:15
Oh God, yes. My game was cancelled. HOtfooted it to the station and got to Henley in time for kick off. WIsh I'd stayed in the pub.

Oh, and I remeber the Newcastle game in 1997 too. Again, game off, hotfotted down Filton Avenue on the bus, heard the roar as Tuieti went over, then saw us humiliated.

Happy days.

 
Re: Reality check.
Singapore Sam (IP Logged)
08 October, 2018 21:36
If it looks like sh_t and smells like sh_t that's probably because it is sh_t. You can say that it was the perfect storm with Wuss playing very well and Bris playing poorly, and that next time, autumn international etc etc. However at this level rugby is a very technical game, to play competitively in the premiership in the style that Lam espouses requires a team of exceptional talent that the club does not have. As seen at Wuss yesterday, they did their homework well and nullified Bris as will most other clubs now they have worked us out (not that there was much to uncover). There is no plan B, there never was at Connacht and much as I hope otherwise my reservations about Lam's appointment now appear to be coming to the fore.

 
Re: Reality check.
spacemedic1 (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 08:09
Just read the club’s post match reaction on Twitter - ‘we’ve licked our wounds and drawn a line under the result’ which was posted with a comedy photo of a ‘Banksyshred’..
Sounds a bit like ‘let’s sweep it under the carpet and pretend it didn’t happen’
I’d have preferred something along the lines of ‘this is what we’re doing wrong and this is what we’re going to do about it’
Can’t believe the club are being so publicly flippant about a disastrous result and a humiliatingly poor performance..!!..
This isn’t a laughing matter..!!..



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2018 08:17 by spacemedic1.

 
Re: Reality check.
Rinkadink (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 08:52
Actually loved that tweet, cheered me up a lot. It's quite clever and should be given props. It's just a Twitter account after all.

Did you see Pat Lam's interview post match?

 
Re: Reality check.
Cidered Abroad (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 09:52
Quote:
spacemedic1
Just read the club’s post match reaction on Twitter - ‘we’ve licked our wounds and drawn a line under the result’ which was posted with a comedy photo of a ‘Banksyshred’..
Sounds a bit like ‘let’s sweep it under the carpet and pretend it didn’t happen’
I’d have preferred something along the lines of ‘this is what we’re doing wrong and this is what we’re going to do about it’
Can’t believe the club are being so publicly flippant about a disastrous result and a humiliatingly poor performance..!!..
This isn’t a laughing matter..!!..

Hardly a laughing matter but I suspect that if we are all shocked, hurting, afraid for our future continuing at this level, then everyone inside the club is the same. Only probably many times worse.

Humour is how us Brits cope the all types of tragedy from losing a ten pence piece down a drain to the death of a loved one. It's how we cope but don't be fooled by a smile on a Bristol players face after a walloping like that. It's our way of not showing how much it is hurting.

In the changing room, some will have been loudly cursing all and sundry while some will have been very quiet and maybe even some tears shed by big strong macho men. It could be the wake up call that saves our season!

 
Re: Reality check.
EverOptimistic (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 10:05
Quote:
Rinkadink
Actually loved that tweet, cheered me up a lot. It's quite clever and should be given props. It's just a Twitter account after all.

+1

Also think it won Bris a lot of friends in the wider rugby community, which has to be good thing.

 
Re: Reality check.
Peter D (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 10:30
Just a Twitter account it may be, but it is one of the ways in which the club presents itself to the supporters and the rugby world and beyond.

The club's social media presence is generally witty and clever. It is often cheeky, which is fine, and occasionally downright disrespectful, which may not be. That tweet was all of those things, in exactly the right way.

The club has often not been good at acknowledging when things are unacceptable, which I think is a fair description of Sunday's performance. There are other better ways than the Twitter feed to demonstrate that and I think the club have done that. The response to this result has been, in many ways better than it would often have been - even the match report made it sound like we'd lost (something it doesn't usually do).

The loss was not disastrous - disappointing, yes; frustrating, yes; something that must not be repeated, yes; a nudge to the coaching team that there can never be relaxing in this league and that they need a few more tricks up their sleeves, yes. It is nothing that we cannot recover from.

 
Re: Reality check.
AGS (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 11:28
Quote:
Big Dave
It was not as bad as Newcastle at home and Leicester away in 2008/09, Henley away in 2003/04, Sale away and of course B**h away in 1997/98!
It was bad, though. Bad, bad, bad.

How about losing 63-7 to Nottingham back in 2012?

 
Re: Reality check.
Olly (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 11:48
How can anyone offended by that Banksy thing?? For god sake lighten up. it’s life we got a well deserved right Royal spanking and that bloody hurts. So what do you do sit around moaning and groaning courting the prophet of doom?? Well clearly some do. We lost and our pride took a big kicking but we don’t throw in the towel on one result, We stand up dust ourselves off and go again. A joke or two along the way merely lightens the burden, not by damping the desire but stoking the fire.
Anybody who expected this season to be a walk in the park needs to wake up and smell the coffee. Pad Lam has done wonderful things for this club but no god is he.



Bristol, like the glass is Blue, Bristol Blue.

 
Re: Reality check.
inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 12:08
Quote:
Peter D
Just a Twitter account it may be, but it is one of the ways in which the club presents itself to the supporters and the rugby world and beyond.
The club's social media presence is generally witty and clever. It is often cheeky, which is fine, and occasionally downright disrespectful, which may not be. That tweet was all of those things, in exactly the right way.

The club has often not been good at acknowledging when things are unacceptable, which I think is a fair description of Sunday's performance. There are other better ways than the Twitter feed to demonstrate that and I think the club have done that. The response to this result has been, in many ways better than it would often have been - even the match report made it sound like we'd lost (something it doesn't usually do).

The loss was not disastrous - disappointing, yes; frustrating, yes; something that must not be repeated, yes; a nudge to the coaching team that there can never be relaxing in this league and that they need a few more tricks up their sleeves, yes. It is nothing that we cannot recover from.


+1

 
Re: Reality check.
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 12:26
I think Bristol (and Worcester fans) need to get their heads round the fact that this wasn't the first leg of a relegation decider. There are probably half a dozen clubs who could be in the mix to finish bottom this year.

Both of our sides have done enough this year to show we can compete at this level. Sunday's game was a "one off" in that Wuss had decided not to risk five first choice players at Sandy Park the previous week and the worcester coaching team succeeded in coming up with a plan to counter Pat Lam's tactics.

Yes, your front three looked like they had been "Through the ringer" after the first quarter but Schonert and co aren't in Eddie's plans for no reason.

Perhaps both clubs would benefit from formulating a plan to stop tigers "Nicking" our best players ?

 
Re: Reality check.
inatthebreakdown (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 12:48
Agree with Southstand there.

Early season form and results for both clubs suggest this will not be the relegation rivalry that the media were portraying it as.

Five clubs, of which we are two, all with W2L4 on the stats. It will be a competitive season.

 
Re: Reality check.
Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 13:35
If Wuss continue on like they have for the first 6 games, they'll be top 6 not relegation contenders

 
Re: Reality check.
Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 15:05
Quote:
Southstand(again)
I think Bristol (and Worcester fans) need to get their heads round the fact that this wasn't the first leg of a relegation decider. There are probably half a dozen clubs who could be in the mix to finish bottom this year.
Both of our sides have done enough this year to show we can compete at this level. Sunday's game was a "one off" in that Wuss had decided not to risk five first choice players at Sandy Park the previous week and the worcester coaching team succeeded in coming up with a plan to counter Pat Lam's tactics.

Yes, your front three looked like they had been "Through the ringer" after the first quarter but Schonert and co aren't in Eddie's plans for no reason.

Perhaps both clubs would benefit from formulating a plan to stop tigers "Nicking" our best players ?

What?
Who have Tigers nicked that was Bristol's best players?
Genge - Well that's been done to death but Tigers hardly nicked him.
Cortes - From what I gather it was more lam didn't really try to keep him also hardly an out and out starter for bristol with many on here saying good scrummager but not offering much outside of that and doesn't fit Lam's game plan.
Traynor - Again pretty sure he was released by Bristol.

Am I missing anyone else?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?