rugbyunion
Latest News:
Untitled Document

munster vs glos
bristolnick (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 12:34
Well. Was looking forward to watching this match on terrestrial tv. But switched off when it ceased being a competitive match after Ciprianis red card. Is it just me or are these relatively new tackle laws being over examined and reacted too. Munster player already tackled and head descending when D Cips shoulder engaged. No one injured, gamed ruined.
I completely accept the introduction of new laws to boost player welfare, however, this match and incident is a fine example of why this law and the pressure put on refs to make such critical decisions based on dodgy camera angles is ruining the game.

Re: munster vs glos
hooter (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 13:39
I can understand the need to protect players but the tackled played was charging into the collision with his head down, the red cards are ruining finally balanced games. If a tackle is dangerous then by all means issue red cards but they seem to have gone to far the other way. At the end of the match a Munster player was yellow carded for a worse tackle, no consistency

AlexInSouthville (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 14:23
Interesting point made on twitter earlier.

Few years ago, it was a red card bonanza due to a clampdown on tip tackles. You rarely see them now, as players learned the consequences

A couple of years back, almost every game had a red for taking the man in the air when chasing high balls. Again, rarely see that happening now, as the message was hammered home.

Players will learn to adapt. Tackling high is a tactical choice, not a physical necessity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/10/2018 20:43 by AlexInSouthville.

Rinkadink (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 15:26
I think these new regulations are different to the others though, and we are starting to see more injuries from players going low than they were going high. Its putting players at increased risk IMHO and if taken to an extreme I'll just stop watching, going back to rugby league.

Haven't seen the Cips incident yet however so can't comment in full.

shhandy (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 16:03
Not sure what a tackler can do when his opponent dips his body at the last minute. A lottery at moment.

Field marshall (IP Logged)
20 October, 2018 20:30
Runing a game? They are ruining the game.
This has nothing to do with "going soft", it's making it crap.

Rich. (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 07:51
Generally I think the new rules are needed and good. Players will adapt (& are adapting quickly) and it will help off loading and thereby produce more exciting matches.

As for this Cips one though, I didn't think Cips put any forward motion into his shoulder (he just stood there planted) and it was a case of the Munsterman running into it with his head down. So felt different to me and one where a red didn't seem appropriate.

Castres beat Exe with 14 men yesterday (one which was CLEARLY a red) and we all know of lots of incidents where it galvanises the team with 14 and makes the team with 15 go slightly off the boil. So game wasn't over due to Glaws being down to 14 as such - but cos it was Cips it pretty much was as he makes a huge difference to their attack. Munster would have won whatever though I'm sure.

Looking forward to recording and watching (Fast forwarding as appropriate) the Cardiff v Glasgow match today. Should be excellent. Did similar with Edinburgh match yesterday and, as relatively poor as Toulon have become, Edinburgh very impressive. Mix them with Glasgow and I think Scotland will have an even better year this year. Looking forward to autumn and Six Nations already. I tip Ireland to win all their 9 games.

Dieselpup (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 20:46
I feel sorry for the sport of Rugby.

I have seen a woeful display of inconsistency from the referees and law makers in the first couple of weeks of European cup culminating in the red card for Cipriani.

No, this is not a ref bashing (I happen to be a ref), but the laws and directives allow no room for any interpretation by the ref for a decision, hence the statement "I have no choice but to award a red card" being repeated across European rugby pitches.

It is a crisis in the sport that has all the right intentions but is being delivered specatularly badly.

IRB - STOP this madness now.

hooter (IP Logged)
21 October, 2018 21:30
Still think there is a place for being put on report like in league for offences that have reasonable doubt in the eyes of the ref

Furriner (IP Logged)
22 October, 2018 07:57
I thought the Cips red was a travesty, for the reasons given by Rich. I donít like that new law and I hope itíll be amended, if not scrapped next time thereís a review.

Yes, I heard a couple of refs say they had no alternative, but I also noted at least a dozen contacts with the head, some of which looked accidental and others not, which went unremarked on by the officials.

Standardprocedure (IP Logged)
23 October, 2018 07:32
The Cips red was indeed a travesty, but more so was the fact that there were other instances in that game where a red ought to have been shown but no action taken. People say we can't blame the refs because the laws are what they are, which I agree with to a degree, but the refs are to blame when the laws aren't consistently applied within the same game

Field marshall (IP Logged)
23 October, 2018 19:38
The biggest barrier to the sport is how complicated the laws are, they are making it even harder to decipher. Tackle someone around the neck = yellow (most times, but the two who wrapped 12T got no punishment whatsoever). Accidental slight/marginal/inconclusive contact to the head = red. Never mind the Cirpiani one, the Kaino red was preposterous and he got a ban for it!
So now all an attacker needs to do is either jump in the air (remember the Pisi red?!) or dip his head into contact and chances are the defender is going off. It's an utter farce and I can't see how they will every make it work if they continue the way they are.

Rich. (IP Logged)
25 October, 2018 15:50
Kaino ban seemed correct to me. if you go to tackle high with force as he did and there is immediate contact with the head of the player you are tackling then the current thinking is that is a red card. it is all about trying to get players to go in Lower with the tackle rather than tackling high and hoping it won't make contact with the head.

I do think the player ducked his head into Cipriani but the problem for Cipriani is that he was going high to start with. they will have decided that Cipriani had the time to get in position to make a lower tackle. I think he was trying to make a non forcefull smother tackle but again if you go into a tackle like that and contact is made with the other players head then you risk a red card.

In the recent past we've had people saying the way taking someone out in the air is reffed will ruin the game but it hasn't and players have got used to it and adapted.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net